gRip problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janborgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: gRip problems Reply with quote

I have emerged gRip and have problems with encoding the wav files. I have set gRip up to use cdparanoia when ripping. The wav file is generated an playable. I have tried to set up gRip with several encoders:
bladeenc => no mp3 file at all
lame => generates mp3 file but filesize 0 bytes
oggenc => generates mp3 file but it is not playable
flac => generates mp3 file but i way to big, and not playable
gogo => generates mp3 file, looks OK but sounds like "fast forward" when playing.
When I tried the different encoders I used the Encoder command-line that gRip suggested.

What do I miss out on?

janborgar
janborgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested a little bit more and found out I had to rename the oggenc output file from mp3 to ogg. That figures. But why cant I make mp3's with the other encoders? What is better: mp3 or ogg ?
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janborgar wrote:
I have tested a little bit more and found out I had to rename the oggenc output file from mp3 to ogg. That figures. But why cant I make mp3's with the other encoders? What is better: mp3 or ogg ?

Ogg is better in quality and in the license (BSD). The only thing wrong with it is that 99% of the portable mp3 players don't support it. I rip to ogg, since I don't have one :)

You can change the extension on Config -> Encode -> Encoder -> Encoder file format. Change the trailing .mp3 to .ogg
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use lame if you need mp3. I use ogg with -q6. Mine makes .ogg files. It has "~/mp3/%A/%d/%t-%n.ogg" for encode file format under the encode tab for oggenc. For lame, I think it just passes to lame to convert the wav to mp3, If it is 0 bytes it sounds like a permission problem where it is creating your wav/mp3 or maybe lame didn't compile correctly. Try to manually convert using the lame command line to see if it works..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: