Cable modem Queries
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Cable modem Queries Reply with quote

Im currently running a setup at home which has my desktop pc connected via genius 10/100 cards(8139) to my server and then I use dialup to my ISP which is all working fine using DHCP , however Im looking at switching to cable and have contacted my ISP who has advised they supply Motorola surf 4200's to access thier network.
After a bit of googling etc , I cannot seem to find out a hell of alot about the motorola modems under linux via usb or nic , the motorola website say's it supports UNIX but in thier faq states linux isnt supported ........????
I have seen reports to say the 4100 is a happening thing under linux , but nothing to say HOW ......
Im assuming if you have usb support etc in the kernel it shouldnt be a problem but can anyone confirm this ???

TIA
Dale.
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can connect the cable modem to network card it works.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, check if that model has an Ethernet port. If so, then no problem and is recommended. As for USB, yes I believe that cable modem is supported just fine. You'll need hotplug support and the cdcether module (enable USB Communication Class Ethernet device support in your kernel). Then a bit of fiddling with dhcpd on whatever interface name it gets assigned should do the trick. It'll be eth0 if you don't have any other "ethernet" devices on your system. I recommend you try to find out more though, because only the Motorola 4100 is mentioned in the kernel option help.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys .......
After a bit of furthur googling it appears it should be happy using dhcp via network or usb ,ill find out for sure next week I guess :)

Cheers
Dale.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: