Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Error with linux26-headers... PLEASE HELP!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x2aws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Error with linux26-headers... PLEASE HELP!! Reply with quote

Well, i am in the process os unmerging the linux24 headers and emerging the linux26 headers. I have gone through all the steps:
1. mkdir -p /etc/portage
2. emerge unmerge linux-headers
3. rm /usr/include/linux/dvb (no such dir)
4. cd /etc/portage
5. nano -w package.keywords
6. typed : sys-kernel/linux26-headers , and also tried sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.7-*, and then even tried adding a ~x86 to the end.
7 control x, and y and enter
8. emerge -v linux26-headers, even tried emerge -vp linux26-headers, and even added -2.6.7-*, 2.6.*, 2.*, 2*, and even * to the end.

now here is the error i get:

Calculting dependencies
!!! all ebuilds that could sastify "linux26-headers (and all of my other combos up above) have been masked
!!! possible canidates are:

linux26-headers-2.6.6-r1 (masked by: -* keyword)
linux26-headers-2.6.4 (masked by: -*)
linux26-headers-2.6.6 (masked by: -*)
linux26-headers-2.6.1 (masked by: -*)
linux26-headers-2.6.7-r1 (maksed by: missing keyword)
then it goes to 2.6.5, and 2.6.3-r1.

what am i doing wrong?? I did a stage 3 install without a network. i used gentoo-dev-sources for the kernel, version 2.6.7, and did a manual configuration with the kernel. please help!! i have even tried genkernel to build the kernel, and still the same problems!! This is my 6th install, and i have tried so many possibilities and still get the same error!!
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're using x86 arch:

This should do the job:
Code:

echo "sys-kernel/linux26-headers ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

If it doesn't work, try replacing ~x86 with -*

HTH
DAudioLink
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: similar Problem Reply with quote

I'm having a somewhat similar problem, only I can't unmerge the 2.4.20 kernels, I'm no longer using them, and I forgot about them. But now I can't update anything other than portage. I had the old "gaming" sources installed but then I moved up to the 2.6 kernels and I'm happy with those, but I never unmerged the gaming sources and now they are no longer in the portage tree, but they still block the linux26-headers
Code:
[blocks B     ] sys-kernel/linux26-headers (from pkg sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.22)
[blocks B     ] sys-kernel/linux-headers (from pkg sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1)

I really want to update my system now and latter manually deleate the 2.4.22 kernels' files, is there anyway I could just deleate something in the portage tree (or just something related to portage) that would unblock the linux26-headers?
x2aws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: ok, tried that... Reply with quote

What that did was add sys-kernel/linux26-headers ~x86, and -* to the file package.keywords. nothing else. After trying to emerge it again, here is my errors:

#emerge -v linux26-headers-2.6.7-r1
Calculating dependencies
!!!Problem in sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.7-r1 dependencies
!!"Specific key requires an operator (sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.7-r1) (try adding an '=')"

if i leave out the -2.6.7-r1, and replace with either a -*, or a ~x86, or nothing at all, i egt the error i had before. Any other suggestions??
DAudioLink
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

If you have the old 2.4 kernels on your system still, but you're using the new 2.6 kernels, run as root:
Code:
# emerge -p depclean

You may need to tac on |less to see everything. After reviewing the list if there is anything you want or think you need to keep don't run depclean without the -p, instead run something like
Code:
# emerge -pC sys-kernel/gaming-sources

if you want to unmerge the 2.4 gaming-sources, or you could just add the packages that you want/need to the world list, which I have no idea where that is. you may also need to do this:
Code:
# USE="no-old-linux" emerge -pvu world

If you need to update module-init-tools, which is the only package I've found that uses the "no-old-linux" flag.
Here are all the comands I've put in the post, in order of execution:
Code:
# emerge -p depclean
# emerge -pC sys-kernel/gaming-sources
# USE="no-old-linux" emerge -pvu world

Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
P.S. I have two walls to paint in my room, Anyone have some Linux related sugestions?

you could try:

emerge -uDp wallpaper

dont forget the -p option otherwise you will probably find your cieling falls on your head or you can no longer open the door to get out :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: