Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why is openldap-2.0.27 masked under Gentoo 1.2?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Why is openldap-2.0.27 masked under Gentoo 1.2? Reply with quote

I run a production server with Gentoo 1.2 (will not update it to 1.4 unless it's necessary). When I try to emerge openldap cause of the recent security update, it shows me 2.0.25-r2 as the latest version. On a Gentoo 1.4 system (e.g. my desktop machine) 2.0.27 is the latest as it should be. Is this a bug or is there a reason for being masked under 1.2?
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
will not update it to 1.4 unless it's necessary
I presume your comment is because you're using a gcc-2.9.5 compiled system and /etc/make.profile is symlinked to /usr/portage/profiles/default-1.0 instead of /usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-1.4. Check. Even so, it shouldn't be masked. However, I checked /usr/portage/profiles/default-1.0/packages and saw:
Code:
>=net-nds/openldap-1.2.12-r6
<net-nds/openldap-2.0.27

This seems contradictory to me. The second line makes sense, but the one above it does not. Try removing it or even both - openldap is not listed at all in the packages file for the "1.4" profile.

Hopefully that will have some effect - if it solves the problem then file it on bugzilla. If all else fails just force the build:
Code:
cd /usr/portage/net-nds/openldap
ebuild openldap-2.0.27.ebuild fetch
ebuild openldap-2.0.27.ebuild unpack
ebuild openldap-2.0.27.ebuild compile
ebuild openldap-2.0.27.ebuild install
ebuild openldap-2.0.27.ebuild qmerge

To be honest, if you want a gcc-2.9.5 production system, Gentoo may not have been a good choice because development efforts are no doubt rallying behind gcc-3.x and the 1.4 profile. I suspect the old profile will be phased out, especially with the forthcoming release which, let's not forget, is the first "proper" non-beta, non-rc Gentoo release. I run a server with the 1.4 profile and gcc-3.2.1 and have no complaints.
Roc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To be honest, if you want a gcc-2.9.5 production system, Gentoo may not have been a good choice because development efforts are no doubt rallying behind gcc-3.x and the 1.4 profile. I suspect the old profile will be phased out, especially with the forthcoming release which, let's not forget, is the first "proper" non-beta, non-rc Gentoo release. I run a server with the 1.4 profile and gcc-3.2.1 and have no complaints.

At the time I installed the server, 1.4rc1 was not available. Also I need a stable system - and 1.2 runs very stable - cause the machine is located in a data center away from my hometown, and, I only have ssh access to it. I will do an update at some point in the future, but this must not break the machine. It would be nice, that even older profiles are supported. Doing experiments with a production machine is what I (and surely some other people) want to avoid.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but did you get openldap merged :?:
Roc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK, but did you get openldap merged

Yes, I emerged it manually and it seems to work. But of course, portage wants me to downgrade it everytime I do emerge -pu system.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report it. But in the interim, you could always explicitly mask older versions. Something like:
Code:
<openldap-2.0.27-r1

should do the trick, as long as that's the only line in the file.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: