emerge works only if NAT port-forwarding is DISabled
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: emerge works only if NAT port-forwarding is DISabled Reply with quote

I have a wireless access point at home that serves as a NAT router to the computers in the house. I have one main gentoo system behind the router that serves webpages and other services. Other systems in the house are private.

I have each of the machines' ip addresses configured statically. The main server is 192.168.2.3

In order to get the web-server, and other services, visible from outside, I set up the NAT router to forward all ports to 192.168.2.3

With this setup, emerge rsync times out, and any other emerge operations time out. If, however, I turn off port-forwarding on the NAT router, emerge operates normally.

How can I fix this? What am I doing wrong?
kram
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should forward only the ports required for the services that you run, instead of forwarding all of them.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you should only forward the ports for which those services are needed on those hosts. Like only forward port 80 to your webserver, etc.
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the wireless base station doesn't give options to specify custom port forwarding. Only the standard services are available as options, with one of the options being "All ports"

Since I don't rely on my cheap base station router for security, and I run some services on uncommon ports, the only proper solution to make these services visible is to forward all ports.

My question, though, is not one of security, but more of functionality. Why is emerge having trouble in this situation? It doesn't seem like NAT is bothering portage, since my other machines can rsync fine (and indeed this machine, if all ports are not forwarded), but it does seem that this issue is related to forwarding all ports.
ehudokai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Why not just turn it off when doing upgrades? Reply with quote

Unless this is a production server, can't you just turn off port forwarding while doing upgrades?

just a thought.

btw... what kind of error codes are you getting?
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not just turn it off when doing upgrades? Reply with quote

ehudokai wrote:
Unless this is a production server, can't you just turn off port forwarding while doing upgrades?

just a thought.

btw... what kind of error codes are you getting?

I don't get any errors other that timeouts. If I emerge someEbuild portage will resolve ibiblio, and then wait forever on the next line, connecting to http: //ibiblio[80]:

If I leave it going all night, I come back to a screen of mirror hops, after timeouts on each.

As of now, I've just been changing the IP address and restarting eth0 before I emerge things, but I'd like to think I have some kind of control over this situation, even if this isn't a server running NASA missions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: