Can't configure my Ethernet
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:43 am    Post subject: Can't configure my Ethernet Reply with quote

I am having trouble getting my Ethernet to work. The error message I am currently getting is as follows;

Error: Failed to bring eth0 up.

ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
"netmount" was not started.

I read over the postings on the Gentoo boards and concluded my problem more than likely was that the Ethernet was not being detected on setup, so I changed the Ethernet setting from a module to be directly in the kernel with no change in result.

cat /proc/pci gives the following (Ethernet related entry only).

Bus 0, device 18, function 0:
Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 112).
IRQ 11.
Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=3.Max Lat=8.
I/O at 0xe400 [0xe4ff].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xee000000 [0xee0000ff].

Shortly after starting up getting gentoo working with a stage 3 tarball and 2 ethernets installed, it seemed that I would get occasional connections with a series of ifconfig and dhcpcd commands. Since removing the second ethernet card the ethernet is completely inoperative, except when I start up from the CD or from my Mandrake 9.0 system.

My speculation is that somehow gentoo is not recognizing the driver (via-rhine) as being correct for the ethernet device.

Any advice you can give me on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
krt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Start out with the basics. See if you have an ethernet device once you're at the basic runlevel (i.e. ifconfig -a). If not, try running ifconfig eth0 up. Nothing? Likely a kernel/hardware issue.. something? Then you need to configure the IP address of the interface, and its requisite routing information (dhcpcd if you have dhcp, etc.) This is covered in the Gentoo Documentation, so I wont go over it here.

2) You've already covered what I would do as step 2... checked /proc/pci to see if the NIC is showing up at all.. looks like it is, so its a matter of matching driver to hardware, and having that driver setup correctly.

3) Kernel issue? Maybe. Run the command dmesg and look to see where the driver bound to your hardware. It may have a complaint (perhaps you need to tell the kernel more information on bootup, though this is unlikely with a PCI nic). If "dmesg" doesn't display enough for you, the same output should be in /var/log/messages.

From the sounds of it, your system is missing the driver for one ethernet card, whereas it had the other one in before. Running the box with multiple ethernet cards(even of the same type) shouldn't be a problem, but check out the driver documentation first - some drivers require module based loading with arguments before you can use the second interface.

have fun!
[/b]
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took your advice and did a dmesg on my system when it booted up. I noticed a message that No socket drivers were allocated. I played around for quite a while trying to figure out what would make it go away. Eventually I redid my system from scratch and the error went away.

Not very satisfying except that I am now working... :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: