Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]/etc/portage/package.mask ignored?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgarcia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]/etc/portage/package.mask ignored? Reply with quote

My latest update on my laptop caused a few problems, but they're manageable -- or should be.

Compiz-fusion is borked (again) and the latest Intel video driver seems to be messed up as well. The straightforward solution is to back up to the the next oldest Intel driver, and turn compiz off (and then try it periodically to see if it fixes itself in some future update.)

Indeed this solution does seem to work. The problem is that I don't seem to be able to use package.mask to implement it.

I've tried various variations on a theme in /etc/portage/package.mask to block the current Intel driver, but no matter what I put in there, emerge wants to install the most current driver. I was able to install the old one explicitly:
Code:
emerge -1 =x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.13.0

and I can now log in (before, GDM would come up, but the username password field was solid black and you could go through the motions of logging in, but nothing happened; all kinds of "no device" messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.)

However, if I don't specify the version, it wants to install x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.14.0. That means the next general update will install the bad one, and I'll have to explicitly install 2.13.0 again by hand.

Currently, /etc/portage/package.mask contains:
Code:
>x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.13.0

Other attempts have included:
Code:
>=x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.14.0
=x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.14.0

No matter what I do, though, 2.14.0 wants to install.

What am I doing wrong with package.mask?

Last edited by sgarcia on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Telemin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you also have an old /etc/portage/package.unmask entry for x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel? If so you will need to remove it.

If you do you will get this behaviour as it is to do with the mechanics of portage. Rather than construct a complex ruleset from a merger of all the .mask and .unmask files portage simply allows a rule in a file with greater priority to supercede the previous rule for that package, as there is no occasion when the desired outcome cannot be obtained from a combination of portage's inbuilt logic and a single well chosen .(un)mask file rule.

Hope this helps

Telemin
sgarcia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh. I really should have looked at that. Back when I first set up this machine, all the video and wireless drivers were experimental, so I had to unmask a lot of stuff. But that was several years ago, and I'd completely forgotten.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: