Perl Code in Microsoft Headers!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sylware
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Perl Code in Microsoft Headers! Reply with quote

There is a perl code snippet left in one of the header of the Microsoft Core platform SDK.
Download the PSDK on http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/psdk-full.htm
Get into the coreSDK-Common in the file objbase.h. And then you will find the perl code snippet.
Hurry before Microsoft Corp. wipes it out. Anyway it is still in all the CDs and DVDs of MSDN subscriptions...
Anyway, it's worth a bit of publicity(slashdot...) but above all it raises questions: What are the methods and the tools the Redmond Corporation uses? Who are the developers?
If we can find perl code in their tools... why not some GPL code?
Code:

/*#!perl

MapHeaderToDll("objbase.h", "ole32.dll");

ActivateAroundFunctionCall("ole32.dll");

#IgnoreFunction("CreateDataAdviseHolder"); # this function occurs in ole2.h and objbase.h

# The wrapped one is in objbase.h

IgnoreFunction("CoBuildVersion"); # deprecated

IgnoreFunction("CoGetCurrentProcess"); # never fails => hard to wrap well

IgnoreFunction("CoAddRefServerProcess"); # never fails => hard to wrap well

IgnoreFunction("CoReleaseServerProcess"); # never fails => hard to wrap well

IgnoreFunction("DebugCoGetRpcFault"); # not documented

IgnoreFunction("DebugCoSetRpcFault"); # not documented

IgnoreFunction("wIsEqualGUID");

DeclareFunctionErrorValue("CoLoadLibrary", "NULL");

DeclareFunctionErrorValue("StringFromGUID2" , "0");

DeclareFunctionErrorValue("CoTaskMemAlloc", "NULL");

DeclareFunctionErrorValue("CoTaskMemRealloc", "NULL");

IgnoreFunction("DllGetClassObject"); # client function prototyped (like WinMain)

IgnoreFunction("DllCanUnloadNow"); # client function prototyped (like WinMain)

*/

//+---------------------------------------------------------------------------

//

//  Microsoft Windows

//  Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

//

//  File:       objbase.h

//

//  Contents:   Component object model defintions.

//

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by sylware on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
hellbringer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK Perl is used extensively in many corporations.
myuser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft probably have a number of Unix based machines in their organisation, the Microsoft platform is designed for mass consumption (tech challenged), they probably employ people who prefer a more advanced setup then their products can or will offer.

I don't think Perl is GPL, in fact it is the Perl Artistic Licence:

http://www.perl.com/language/misc/Artistic.html
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perl is used everywhere :lol:
pjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he meant when they are using an opensource programming language why not opensource code (GPL in this case)
MaxPolun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjj wrote:
No he meant when they are using an opensource programming language why not opensource code (GPL in this case)

Well that's silly. That's like asking why they don't make an ANSI windows standard, because they use an ANSI standardized language (C and/or C++) to devolop windows. I'm all for open source, and migh actually gain a little respect for microsoft if they opened their code, but the question is badly thought out.

The Real OTW: time to do some good
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have windows running on my computer, If i have their code on my machine I want the source!
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porodzila wrote:
I have windows running on my computer, If i have their code on my machine I want the source!

If I have their code on my machine I just want it to work.
myuser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have their code on my machine I pray it will work :)
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxPolun wrote:
Well that's silly. That's like asking why they don't make an ANSI windows standard, because they use an ANSI standardized language (C and/or C++) to devolop windows. I'm all for open source, and migh actually gain a little respect for microsoft if they opened their code, but the question is badly thought out.

No, the question was accusing Microsoft of using GPL code in their closed source software.
mcspiff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perl isnt GPL.
sylware
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Ideas reuse.... Reply with quote

Well... the actual questions were:
- Who are the Microsoft developers?
- What tools are they using? Since we found some perl code in their core headers...
- So they use open source tools... why they shouldn't copy some GPL code since nobody would dare to check it out! :?
The open source model relies on developers honesty that has to face corporation interests...
Basically, If your survival depends on the will of a company that forces you to reuse GPL code... what would you do? :?
gvs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas reuse.... Reply with quote

sylware wrote:
Well... the actual questions were:
- Who are the Microsoft developers?
- What tools are they using? Since we found some perl code in their core headers...
- So they use open source tools... why they shouldn't copy some GPL code since nobody would dare to check it out! :?
The open source model relies on developers honesty that has to face corporation interests...
Basically, If your survival depends on the will of a company that forces you to reuse GPL code... what would you do? :?

Well, if someone can ever find proof of GPL code in an MS product, that would automaticly GPL said product. Keep your fingers crossed ;-)
Registered Linux user #249404 - September 1997
G.N.A.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure they are very careful not to put themselves in that sort of position.
MaxPolun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaosite wrote:
MaxPolun wrote:

No, the question was accusing Microsoft of using GPL code in their closed source software.

But perl is under the artistic licence, which if I remember correctly is closer to bsd than the gpl, i.e. anyone can take whatever they want as long as they give credit.

The Real OTW: time to do some good
Garbage Pail Kids
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas reuse.... Reply with quote

sylware wrote:

The open source model relies on the rule of law.
Corporations also rely on the rule of law.

Perl is a popular language, even on Windows.
Microsoft uses GCC on Windows NT internally, and they distribute it to customers alongside MS SFU.

To go even further, even if perl were GPL, and Microsoft took perl, modified perl, and used perl internally, they still wouldn't owe you, me, or the perl maintainers jack. The GPL only covers distribution.

gvs wrote:

Well, if someone can ever find proof of GPL code in an MS product, that would automaticly GPL said product. Keep your fingers crossed ;-)

I think this is a joke.

In case anyone actually believes this, it is totally untrue:

• In the case of a GPL license violation, the copyright holders can sue to stop distribution.
  • Only the copyright holders can do this. Even then, only if they have enough code to have reasonable standing.
  • If the copyright is registered, the holders may be able to sue for damages. This is extremely unlikely.

In any case, the worst possible lawsuit would be extremely expensive for the person suing, and it would deal no damage whatsoever to Microsoft. The plaintiffs would probably not even win an injunction against Microsoft because they would voluntarily issue a recall on any boxed product and fix the problem before the case resolved itself. Mootness has a way of ending civil suits prematurely :)

• This is not an open legal question -- there's nothing ambiguous.
  • It has never been an open legal question, as the GPL is rather explicit on this subject.
  • A viral clause would not hold up in court in any case.

Occasionally companies choose to open up modifications after being caught in a GPL violation because it's cheaper than developing something from scratch. They are never ordered to do so by a court.

Now, for the love of god, stop saying shit like this. Even as a joke, it spreads misinformation.
sylware
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Do we live on the same planet? Reply with quote

Garbage Pail Kids wrote:

The open source model relies on the rule of law.
Corporations also rely on the rule of law.

Indeed... but you seem to forget something important: reality.
Everything is not white or black.
Do you think corporations are 100% honest? :lol:

Law is usefull only if you can enforce it properly: if you want to enforce the GPL license, you must detect reuse of GPL code.
So let me ask you this question: How the hell are going to detect that? You are going to disassemble the binary exes?

Garbage Pail Kids wrote:

In the case of a GPL license violation, the copyright holders can sue to stop distribution.
Occasionally companies choose to open up modifications after being caught in a GPL violation

A GPL violation is merely undetectable. Only a gross mistake from the developers (for instance symbols left-overs in the binaries) can allow others to spot it... or an honest developer who will probably very soon loose its job. :(

Garbage Pail Kids wrote:

Now, for the love of god, stop saying shit like this. Even as a joke, it spreads misinformation.

I agree. The post was about effective presence of perl code in Microsoft core headers and NOT about a GPL violation.

I'm raising questions and suspicions, no accusations.
We are sure Microsoft corp. USED perl. Does it mean Microsoft corp. reached the stage of acceptance? Everybody must admit they are quite low profile on this subject... Hum... 8)
And if they started to use open source tools... the temptation of copying GPL code is very not far, they MIGHT have done it already.

Whatever, who cares: all the high performance and quality algorythms, the bright ideas and concepts, from the open source community will end up in Microsoft software.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: