View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobCamp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: VNC on the Mac Mini Reply with quote

Hi

I just got a mini and have spent the last few days playing with it. If you do a free download of Apple's Remote Desktop Client it installs a perfectly adequate VNC server. Like most of the OS-X stuff it works just fine with Gentoo on the other end.

With the Apple DVI to VGA adapter plugged in it will boot just fine with no monitor. Not a bad little server.

The only thing that's not there is an anonymous ftp server ... off to Portage ....
mijenix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VNC on the Mac Mini Reply with quote

BobCamp wrote:

With the Apple DVI to VGA adapter plugged in it will boot just fine with no monitor.

Does a normal DVT to VGA Adapter from a graphic card work? Or I need a Apple adapter?

--Mathias
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried, but it looks completely standard. It comes with the unit anyway (the adapter).

Thank goodness Apple didn't force the ADC crap on this unit. Regular old DVI.

-Twist
oaaltone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: VNC on the Mac Mini Reply with quote

BobCamp wrote:
With the Apple DVI to VGA adapter plugged in it will boot just fine with no monitor. Not a bad little server.

No need for even that much work, since the Mac mini will boot headless.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twist wrote:
Quote:

Evangelion:

AFAIK, the Mini does have a fan, but it only runs when needed.

Possible. I haven't heard it go off it does have one. I've seen pictures of the insides, but it was pretty much the motherboard, didn't show a fan present.

See here
Henk Poley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here too:

http://www.smashsworld.com/2005/01/mac-mini-complete-technical.php
dsnider459
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the bottom of the line one. It works, gentoo is running. Network, USB, Firewire, Sound, the works. Fan only got loud once, after a 5 hour 90 package compile.. :-)
dsnider459
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have luck with MythTV on it?
skyfolly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmania!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

heard that some dude opened and tweated it to overclock 6% of it, wtf, how lame.
Achille
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsnider459 wrote:
got the bottom of the line one. It works, gentoo is running. Network, USB, Firewire, Sound, the works. Fan only got loud once, after a 5 hour 90 package compile.. :-)

That's a very good news! Would accept to provide your .config of the kernel, please?
pentium120
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dsnider,

Congratulations :D I'm thinking of getting one of these little guys too. It'll be a nice upgrade from my pentium 120 w/48MB RAM. I'm curious, did you set up dual boot or did you blow away OS X? I'd like to dual boot it, at least initially. Whether that means resizing the OS X partition or reinstalling both OSes with a new partition table, I'd still be interested.

Also, what apps do you have so far?

Thanks!
joshua
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsnider459 wrote:

This could prove helpful
http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/MythOnMacOsx
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshua wrote:
dsnider459 wrote:

This could prove helpful
http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/MythOnMacOsx

But:

Quote:
Note: this is a frontend only, not a complete MythTV installation. The backend portion of MythTV does not run on Mac OS X and won't be ported any time soon. To use the OS X version, you'll need a Linux machine running a recent CVS version of MythTV to act as a backend. If you've never installed MythTV, you should start with the Linux version, and only look at the OS X version once everything's working properly there.
Antimatter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm curious about their performance as an mini server/router will osX work just fine. as a router/firewall because i'm looking around for a compact small sexy computer to act as an server and this looks like a great thing, but i'm not sure how secure it is?

does it has something similar to iptable/ipchain? etc... how secure can it be made as compared to say an harded gentoo installation?
joshua
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the Mac mini is not that different from the recent PowerBooks or iBooks. Typing this on my 15" PowerBook (G4 1.5GHz) I need to say, that the performance is great - as long as you don't plan to use it as a rendering farm or try to play Doom3. For a server surely it depends on your needs. But I've seen much poorer machines serving important sites. Somewhere I read that the harddisk is rather slow, because it's a notebook-drive. Oh, and you alway will need to add lots of RAM, at least 512Mb or better more ...

The Mac OS X is secure enough for most applications, basically the developers took the best things from FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD, added an stunning userinterface and font-rendering-engine and made all those plug-and-play- and driver-things just work. Great job.

Still, I prefer Gentoo for my home router and webserver, and my Mac and Gentoo boxes do work great together utilizing tools like mt-daapd and howl. But you should keep in mind that the Mac mini comes with the desktop version of OS X which might not be quite appropriate as a server solution as long as you don't change a couple of things deep inside of it.
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy the Mac mini because you want a router, I'll just save you the trouble and give you an already setup SPARCStation. Then you can send me the Mac mini, and we'll both be happy.

$500 on a damn router? Jesus Christ.
pjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed a lot of money ;)
Antimatter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalisphoenix wrote:
If you buy the Mac mini because you want a router, I'll just save you the trouble and give you an already setup SPARCStation. Then you can send me the Mac mini, and we'll both be happy.

$500 on a damn router? Jesus Christ.

lol i wasn't going to buy it, i was just curious, what i want to do ultimatly is have an machine that does several things all together, be my network firewall, router, e-mail server to retrieve several different e-mails and aggregate it at one local address that i can contact anywhere on campus, possiably an simple web e-mail so i can check my e-mail anywhere on campus, an secure ftp or perhaps just use secure shell to transfer stuff, and ultimatly an myth-tv box, not to watch tv on or to do stuff but basically it will be on 24/7 recording my favorite shows and i can connect to it from my desktop to retrieve and watch the shows or perhaps connect to it from an laptop anywhere on campus and watch tv there :-)

now that mac mini probalby won't be even able to do that mainly because of lack of pci card and some others. i just liked the compact size but its unsuitable for what i'm wanting obiviously so i probably will ultimatly end up with building an custom home built rack server
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it'd probably be able to do all the things you said. If I remember correctly (I haven't researched), there are Firewire TV-in devices. I'd expect it to work as well or better than PCI.

My complaint would be the single ethernet port. That'd bug the shit out of me, personally, but if I got the Mac mini I'd run OS X on it, and so have Airport Extreme support and it'd be just fine. But wait -- what am I saying? I have a perfectly decent Linksys router. $50. Do a web config on the thing and change some settings and it's a perfectly decent firewall, NAT, and port forwarding device.

*shrugs*

Personally, I want one of the damn things. Badly. Yeah, as a server. I want to hook up several external 3.5" HD enclosures (I already have two) with nice, stable, BIG hard drives. I'm aiming for maybe .5 TB of storage. Adequate space for future growth. Then I'll hook it up to my Airport Express, stream my music, serve my printer, and back up my DVDs. I think that sounds pretty nice for $750 or so invested. I've never had any success with TV recording, but this time might be the charm. I'll record... hmm. I don't watch TV. I don't even have cable.

Hell, I dunno. The thing looks fun, though, and I want one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: