MIDI in Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: MIDI in Linux Reply with quote

Can someone point me in the right direction for getting both MIDI playback and recording setup on my box?

I want to be able to write out music in some unknown program in MIDI, and it play out my MIDI interface on my sound card.

Also, can I use sound fonts? You know, like the AWE cards used to use? The SoundBlaster cards use them too, and I have a ton from when I was back in Windows doing MIDI stuff.

I've tried KMIDI, but it didn't seem like much. I'm used to Sonar, so I'm looking for something comparable. I want something that I can write out the notes in, and then play it back using my soundfonts mostly and external MIDI modules.

Anyone worked with this stuff any in Linux?

-ee99ee2
Robert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some good MIDI info here

Also, I would ask on the linux-audio-user mailing list since a lot of MIDI users post there.
Kaali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge awesfx - it includes sfxload which loads soundfonts to your soundcard. Works with SBLive too. With aconnect, you can connect your Midi-keyboard input to soundcard midi-synth. Eg. aconnect 64:0 65:0 -- and play away.

I personally use Muse ( http://muse.seh.de/ ) for recording and modifying what i play. I have made an ebuild for it but i haven't submitted it yet. I will soon, so look for it in bugs.gentoo.org

I also use iiwusynth, which is a software MIDI-synthesizer so i can use over 30mb SoundFonts easily (something that SBLive! can't do). This propably doesn't concern you if you have external MIDI-synthesizers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: