Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Routing all traffic through an external host?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Routing all traffic through an external host? Reply with quote

OK, fairly simple problem, not sure if there is a solution. I want to route all traffic which leaves my subnet via a specified host which is also not part of my subnet. Reasons are complex, but perfectly innocent. :P

I don't want to set up a proxy server, because that only deals with certain types of traffic, and it isn't transparent, I want to set something (I imagine with /sbin/route) and see that host in every traceroute output.

I've played around with route a bit, but I'm slightly out of my depth, and I'm not even sure this is possible (but I really hope it is).

Can anyone help?

Last edited by mdpye on Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpamMonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't some form of tunnelling do this?

Why would you want to route all of your data through that host though?

l8rs
Gavin
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, in my Uni residence, I have a 100Mb/s network point, this gives me an 100Mb/s connection to the University which is very fast and reliable. There is also a 32Kb/s connection to the internet shared between a possible 1400 people. I'm sure the ludicrousy of this is quickly apparent, especially when you consider that there is no bad on p2p file sharing. This means the internet pipe is rammed 24/7, and recently in an attempt to fix this, they have blocked all services except (s)http and (for some reason) kazaa, the chief culprit of the "big bandwidth back-shafting".

I wish to route all my traffic through a university server to ensure that it used the faster more reliable route to the internet rather than the default fscked one.

I can't set it as my default gateway, cos it's on a different subnet. I can't start running extra services, it's not my machine. What can I do?
TrippyZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>I can't set it as my default gateway, cos it's on a different subnet. I can't start running extra services, it's not my machine. What can I do?

Your default gateway needn't be on your subnet!
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrippyZ wrote:
Your default gateway needn't be on your subnet!

Perhaps I phrased it wrong, but if my default gateway is changed to anything other than my local firewall / gateway address, how is traffic to leave my subnet at all?

Perhaps I should add that the stingy bastards don't even give us a public IP address, we're masqueraded...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: