xorg 6.8.1.901 woes: emacs/xpdf/motif, undefined colors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
safferli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: xorg 6.8.1.901 woes: emacs/xpdf/motif, undefined colors Reply with quote

Well, I am in desperate need of help... I can't work without my emacs/xpdf and they don't work!

Well, the problem is as follows, I think it's not a sole amd64 issue, but I have an amd64, so I'll post the stuff here. After moving to the new RC1 xorg, I thought all went well. But, I no longer can open xpdf and emacs windows. This has to have something to do with the motif stuff. I believe the problem to be related to bug 76382 (xorg locale problem) and bug 76537 (xorg-6.8.1.901 doesn't symlink lib on amd64, only lib64) and the new directory structure of the xorg mentioned in this thread (xorg-x11-6.8.1.901 : /usr/lib iso /usr/lib/X11R6). I also checked this thread (OpenMotif troubles) and this thread (error emerging emacs on amd64).

Now, my xorg has been built with the xprint flag, I also have motif in my USE. Not that it matters, as xpdf now uses nomotif as USE flag, a sensible solution. I have multiply re-emerged xorg, openmotif and xpdf, to no avail. I have fiddled with /etc/env.d/10xorg adding LDPATHs and whatnot, it didn't help. I get the following lines on an xpdf emerge:

Code:
checking whether to use Xm library... maybe
checking where to find the Xm header files...
checking Xm/XmAll.h usability... yes
checking Xm/XmAll.h presence... yes
checking for Xm/XmAll.h... yes
checking for XmCreateForm in -lXm... no
not using Xm library

Code:
configure: WARNING: Couldn't find X / Motif -- you will be able to compile
        pdftops, pdftotext, pdfinfo, pdffonts, pdftoppm, and pdfimages,
        but not xpdf

Well, libXm exists:
Code:
dragaera safferli # locate libXm
/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01/jre/lib/amd64/libXm.so.3
/opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2/lib/amd64/libXm.so.3
/usr/lib/libXmu.so.6.2
/usr/lib/libXmuu.so.1.0
/usr/lib/libXmuu.so
/usr/lib/libXmu.so.6
/usr/lib/libXmuu.so.1
/usr/lib/libXmu.a
/usr/lib/libXmu.so
/usr/lib/libXmuu.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.2
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.2
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so.1.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.2.1
/emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.2
/emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.2
/emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so.1.0
/emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6
/emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so.1
/emul/linux/x86/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.2.1

So, what do I need to do? Also, emacs will not recompile, I get an error I believe is similar:

Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lXm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [temacs] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
../lib-src/make-docfile -a ../etc/DOC -d /var/tmp/portage/emacs-21.3-r5/work/emacs-21.3/src ../lisp/mouse.elc ../lisp/select.elc ../lisp/scroll-bar.elc ../lisp/vmsproc.elc ../lisp/vms-patch.elc ../lisp/ls-lisp.elc ../lisp/dos-fns.elc ../lisp/w32-fns.elc ../lisp/dos-w32.elc ../lisp/disp-table.elc ../lisp/dos-vars.elc ../lisp/international/ccl.elc ../lisp/international/codepage.elc ../lisp/abbrev.elc ../lisp/buff-menu.elc ../lisp/byte-run.elc ../lisp/cus-start.el ../lisp/custom.elc ../lisp/emacs-lisp/backquote.elc ../lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mode.elc ../lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp.elc ../lisp/facemenu.elc ../lisp/faces.elc ../lisp/files.elc ../lisp/float-sup.elc ../lisp/format.elc ../lisp/frame.elc ../lisp/help.elc ../lisp/indent.elc ../lisp/isearch.elc ../lisp/loadup.el ../lisp/loaddefs.el ../lisp/bindings.elc ../lisp/map-ynp.elc ../lisp/env.elc ../lisp/international/mule.elc ../lisp/international/mule-conf.el ../lisp/international/mule-cmds.elc ../lisp/international/characters.elc ../lisp/international/utf-8.elc ../lisp/international/utf-16.elc ../lisp/international/latin-1.el ../lisp/international/latin-2.el ../lisp/international/latin-3.el ../lisp/international/latin-4.el ../lisp/international/latin-5.el ../lisp/international/latin-8.el ../lisp/international/latin-9.el ../lisp/case-table.elc ../lisp/language/chinese.elc ../lisp/language/cyrillic.elc ../lisp/language/indian.elc ../lisp/language/devanagari.elc ../lisp/language/english.elc ../lisp/language/ethiopic.elc ../lisp/language/european.elc ../lisp/language/czech.elc ../lisp/language/slovak.elc ../lisp/language/romanian.elc ../lisp/language/greek.elc ../lisp/language/hebrew.elc ../lisp/language/japanese.elc ../lisp/language/korean.elc ../lisp/language/lao.elc ../lisp/language/thai.elc ../lisp/language/tibetan.elc ../lisp/language/vietnamese.elc ../lisp/language/misc-lang.elc ../lisp/international/ucs-tables.elc ../lisp/menu-bar.elc ../lisp/paths.el ../lisp/register.elc ../lisp/replace.elc ../lisp/simple.elc ../lisp/startup.elc ../lisp/subr.elc ../lisp/term/tty-colors.elc ../lisp/textmodes/fill.elc ../lisp/textmodes/page.elc ../lisp/textmodes/paragraphs.elc ../lisp/textmodes/text-mode.elc ../lisp/vc-hooks.elc ../lisp/ediff-hook.elc ../lisp/widget.elc ../lisp/window.elc ../lisp/version.el
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/emacs-21.3-r5/work/emacs-21.3/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2

!!! ERROR: app-editors/emacs-21.3-r5 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 97, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

Well, I can no longer start my old emacs, as I get the following error message:

Code:
Undefined color: "black"
and an exit signal of 255.

What can I do? How can I define the color black? Other programs (such as xeyes) also complain about the color, but will start. Reverting to the old xorg will give me my emacs back, but an emerge of xpdf will still not give me the binary.

Come on guys/gals, give me a hand! I have no idea what to do next. Any help is greatly appreciated and will be rewarded with a beer if we should meet at some time in the future. :D Tell me if you need any extra output information.
safferli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sort of sorted things out. Got the color black back, was a problem with the rgb.txt file in the new xorg.conf. The "old" emacs starts, but still won't compile. I found this and I believe it could be the cause, but I'm looking for a way to put it into an ebuild... Can somebody help there? Also, xpdf will need a similar fix.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=698471#698471
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: