Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
A problem with DevFS, and a problem with Mplayer.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: A problem with DevFS, and a problem with Mplayer. Reply with quote

Hi... I was wondering if anybody could offer me some advice on these two problems.

The devfs problem is that occasionally ( 1 in 3 times? ) DevFS doesn't seem to create the /dev/misc hierachy - as a result, /dev/misc/psaux is missing, and I notice gpm crashing on startup. And, a blink of an eye later, X starts yo-yoing looking for a pointing device. Any advice, or anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Secondly, I'm using KDE3 with Arts, and I've had some problems with Mplayer - notably that the SDL sound driver can't seem to find my arts server. I was previously using Alsa, but after a few days of heartache have backed it all out, and reverted to OSS. Is there some mysterious SDL configuration file I need to alter to reflect this? ( By the way, I do have arts in my use clause, and I'm pretty sure SDL got built with arts support ).

If anybody could help me straighten these two niggles out, my system would be perfect at last. :-)
JefP@@
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first one, I'd say, make sure you've disabled the /dev/pts filesystems for Unix98 PTYs (in filesystems). It's strange though he does that once in three times...

For the second one. Duno what your prob is, but here the sdl driver for audio is working fine. I wouldn't recommend it though. I'm using alsa drivers, so the alsa driver should give you the best quality in audio with mplayer. But it's strange it doesn't work. Maybe it's because of the alsa drivers you use. (I'm using the older 0.5.12a drivers, of which I was sure they were gonna work with kde & arts). Maybe that's the prob. For me the alsa5 driver with mplayer worx almost every time, there are a few exceptions where I have to use the oss driver ...

Grtz
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JefP@@ wrote:
For the first one, I'd say, make sure you've disabled the /dev/pts filesystems for Unix98 PTYs (in filesystems). It's strange though he does that once in three times...

Well, as an experiment today, I rebooted the box a half dozen times, and it all seemed to work. I'm a bit puzzled, but reluctant to look a gift horse in the mouth.

JefP@@ wrote:
(I'm using the older 0.5.12a drivers, of which I was sure they were gonna work with kde & arts).

Maybe I should experiment with the Alsa5... I've heard rumblings that for some confounded reason it works better than the bleeding edge 9's. This will have to wait until the weekend, though - I'm too busy figuring out whether the fact my spanking new Ge4MX doesn't work is the card or some incompatibility with the Asus P4S333VM motherboard.

. o 0 ( "Or I might just take it back to CX and get a replacement and see if that works..." )

Thanks for the tips!

Curious.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: Solved! Reply with quote

The problem with the mouse is not DevFSD specific. The mouse is slightly flakey, as tested with other OS's. Might be the USB -> PS/2 connector.

Mplayer was eventually fixed up using artsdsp <- great little tool. And yes, the Ge4 was incompatible with my mobo. Guess I'll go out and look for a 3.

Bryn.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: