vpopmail + qmail + courier-imap
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OmniVector
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: vpopmail + qmail + courier-imap Reply with quote

does anyone have all three of these programs working together in gentoo?
i have tried absolutely everything and cannot get these to combine together.

if you have these programs combined and working in gentoo i beg of you to help me. i've spent the past 3 days, about 8 hours a day, hacking away at this problem and have gotten nowhere, and have reinstalled qmail/vpopmail/courier-imap about a dozen times.

i'm about ready to give up on them if someone can just point me towards a MTA (or combo of programs) that can achieve:

virtual user accounts such as
tristan@halo43.com
tristan@otierney.net
tristan@flashtastic.net

such that each one is seperately authenticated with vpopmail's vchkpw using courier-imap's pop and imap server. (or any imap/pop server.. so long as it freaking works!)

does exim or postfix have these problems? courier-imap won't play nice with vpopmail and qmail won't play nice with vpopmail. i'm beginning to think that linux email servers don't exit, and that everyone is pulling a clever conspiracy against me. nothing. works.

i've tried the suggestions on edit courier-imap's ebuild to compile with the option --with-authvchkpw. didn't work. when courier-imap starts all i get is a "AUTHFAIL" error printed to the console.

i've tried qmail-pop3d, and edited the qmail-pop3d/run file and changing checkpassword to vchkpw but that didn't work.

the only thing i can get working is hardwiring the account name tristan to the email address tristan@otierney.net and linux's /etc/passwd file. but this is the worst situation as it is hard to maintain, and will not work well once i add 10 other domains to this machine.[/i]
Messiah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got qmail with vpopmail and courier-imap running on several Gentoo boxes. No problems at all, you just have to know some things.

First of all, qmail is simple. Just emerge it. Vpopmail I install myself from source, the group vpopmail which exists I change to vchkpw which is the default in the vpopmail distribution. Then I emerge courier-imap, just I don't use that one exactly. I emerge it for the rc-scripts, and to get the configuration options. Then, I compile courier-imap from source, with only authvchkpw, and explicitly without all the other ways of authentication, and auth works fine.

You also have a link to Search this forum, maybe you should give it a try. I have answered this question so many times before.

BTW qmail-pop3d works fine also, but there is 1 thing to remember, gentoo-scripts configure .maildir as the maildir, and vpopmail uses Maildir as the maildir. So change that, and always look in your logfiles.
OmniVector
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i now have a working setup with
qmail-vmailmgr
qmail-pop3d
qmail

and it works great for pop, however i still can't get courier-imap's imap server to work

every time i set the authentication to authvchkpw (or in my case authvmailmgr)
it tries to startup courier-imapd and i get this error:

* Staring authdaemon
* authvchkpw [!!]
AUTHFAIL

it does the same thing with authvmailmgr
(note i've tried compiling courier-imap using gentoo's sources and restrictive configure flags as you mention)

you say you just emerged it for the rc-scripts. did you compile it with gentoo's sources and your own configure flags, or did you compile it without gentoo's sources at all? That may be my issue. i'm compiling it with gentoo's sources.
Messiah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sources are just from gentoo, they are sitting in distfiles. But you can give the official sources a try. Configure options are different, see my previous post (do not use authdaemond with vpopmail!)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: