SAMBA slowdown due to error checking of the incoming packets
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KraziKid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: SAMBA slowdown due to error checking of the incoming packets Reply with quote

I just got gentoo to work (thanks to your help). I am converted from slackware. Now, I got samba through protage, created my config file for my needs, and started samba. Now, in slackware, the files transferred at the full 100 mbps, but errors from packet collisions would occur. IN my gentoo installation, the transfer rate is diminished a lot. I think I found the problem, in that it being I am not generating any errors. This leads me to believe that something is error checking all the packets, and re-requesting errored data. Is there any way that I can shut this off? I can live with the errors, but need the full speed of the network. Does anyone know what I can do? The transfer speed seems to be cut in half of what it was in slackware. So, any help is greatly appreciated.
KraziKid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.
KraziKid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.
KraziKid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.
broschi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

No seriously, the nic is probably set a mode that is too fast or not enough. Perhaps you're using the wrong drivers as well. Try, try and retry that's how it works.
KraziKid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the correct driver. I have checked all online documentation about these NIC's and the correct drivers are 8139too and natsemi. Also, they get turned on at full duplex, so I'm still not sure what is wrong.
splooge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

Set it to half duplex.

If you're using full duplex on a hub that doesn't support it you will run into this problem.
KraziKid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I set it to half duplex? And I'm using a switch, not a hub. And it does support full duplex.
EvilN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stated earlier that you had some collisions in your network.
If you connect to a swicth you can't have any collisions...that is the way a switch work. CDMA is not needed when switching packets in a network (although still enabled).

So if you base your collision statement on a led on the switch you either have a HUB or a HUB connected to a switch.

Second, you should check your CPU load...if it is at 100% you propably need some kernel tweaking (maybe change kernel flavour...gentoo-sources give me nice preformance but the "fast" kernels gives me really bad performance on the servers...they work better for desktops...also disable EVERYTHING you don't need).

If your CPU load looks fine (below 50%) there is most likeley a transfer issue from your HDs, have you enabled DMA in the kernel? Try it with hdparm.

And last...don't blame the distro..
If you had good performance on another distribution you can get it with this one and the opposite...you just need the know-how.
Good luck.

...and check that it really is a switch you are using, collisions sounds strange...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: