View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fender1212
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the debian community sort of looks at us how they look at the windows community. a community that is willing to sacrifice "stability for speed" so to say.
wdreinhart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we look down on them because most Debian fanboys are elitist jerks with nothing better to do(*) than register on our forums just to flame us. The circle of hate goes on.

(*)One wonders how long ago Sarge would have been released if the Debian "community" put as much time and effort into building their distro as they do insulting everyone else's...
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wdreinhart wrote:
(*)One wonders how long ago Sarge would have been released if the Debian "community" put as much time and effort into building their distro as they do insulting everyone else's...

There is no reason to generalise like that. The Debian community does have some really elitist pricks, but they're not any more annoying than the ricer subculture of the Gentoo community. Besides, I don't see any Debian developers engaged in these flamewars (or not any of significant consequence anyway).
-rem(
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just think that all debian users are just jerks, and elitists, I think I have nothing to do with this forum. Yet I know linux very well, use it everydays on servers, because it's my job, and I just love gentoo as much as I love debian.

Do you really think all debian users are justs elitists ? Ask them how their run levels really works, how their kernel really work, and you will see that they will not be able to answer. In France, we have an expression : "Moins on a de confiture, plus on l'etale". I could translate it by " Less you know, the more you say", I'don't know if there is a real translation, I would like to know it else.

It's pretty classic, a new debian user learn some basics,and he thinks he is a guru. Look at the debian user lists, 90% of questions are very simple, and from newbies. It's just an illusion, I don't say that they are not elitist, just that most of them are not very good linux users, and so they think debian is the best one, that's all. It's the same kernel, modulo patches, and packages are differents, but you have to use it on a different way.

So please, don't think that all debian users sucks, this sucks. I love debian, I love gentoo, because I love linux. I can even tell you that according to me, Fedora or mandrake ( the french distribution ) are very good linux. Not for me or you, or for work use, but all the newbies do their first tries on these distributions, and it's reaaly important. Then, if they want they can try debian or gentoo.
Joelio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that there is any hate!

Why would there be?

I think there is hate when people with stupid flags, running on ~whatever - caused stuff to break and 'user' complains to the devs. or upstream devs.

I use Gentoo and Debian, for some stuff like desktops (and servers under your control) Gentoo kicks, but for unmanned, 'in the wild' servers, I prefer debian.

Whilst building from source is great for speed and granularity afterwards, Downloading a .deb and taking 1 second to install it pisses over install times ;)
postgrep
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In France, we have an expression : "Moins on a de confiture, plus on l'etale". I could translate it by " Less you know, the more you say", I'don't know if there is a real translation, I would like to know it else.

erm, confiture means Jam. So roughly, it would be: "less one of jam, add some l'etale".

Note: I don't know l'etale

I'm going to switch to gentoo, but IMHO, lots of gentoo users are stuck up. I came on here to read the views of why gentoo users would bash debian, but I couldn't find any, just comments like "people who install debian and learn some commands think they are gurus".

Likewise could be said for gentoo as well, "users who add one USE flag think they are a power user." But im not going to say that.

I use Debian on most machines, and installing gentoo on one soon to try it out, and see if I like it, but I have been offput lots by the attitude of gentoo users towards debian. Sure, there might be some stuckupness by Debian users, but that hardly represents all of us. I think emerge is a good system, but apt is a good one too.

I mean, once you learn apt commands, it is very easy to get around for new users. I mean, 'apt-cache search' isn't so hard, the cache might not be needed, but still. And then 'apt-get -fb install **' or 'apt-get dist-upgrade' isn't that hard.

Personally, I found debian a good distribution to start using when I was a n00b, and knew nothing about linux or unix, and it was easy to start working. But now I know more, Im going to try gentoo, to see whether it really is good or not.

I think you bashing debian, and debian users bashing gentoo is pointless. Debian and gentoo are 2 of the best distros around, why fight?
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Debian and gentoo are 2 of the best distros around, why fight?

Very true we are the best two distros around but people will always have their opinion and will probably continue to bash whatever they feel like.
-rem(
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, "Létale". When you put butter on bread for example, with a knife, you put the butter to cover all the bread, and so it's a very large, but extremly fine. Systran translates it by "to spread out".

When I say they learn 3 commands line and they think they are gurus, it's the same for most gentoo's users. Reals gurus know who they are.

And by the way, it's right, it's the two best, but two different distributions, but each user wants to say he use the best one, he knows well the best one, and others users ( whatever they are debian user agains gentoo user or the contrary ) are wrong. It's pretty funny.
Linux Registered User #224740
Linux is friendly-user, it's just very selective about who its friends are.
erwan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-rem( wrote:
First, "Létale". When you put butter on bread for example, with a knife, you put the butter to cover all the bread, and so it's a very large, but extremly fine. Systran translates it by "to spread out".

If you just say the end nobody will get it.

"La science, c'est comme la confiture : moins on en a, plus on l'etale."

=> Science is like jam: the less you have [= you know] the more you spread it [= you show your knowledge].

That barely means that people who know a few will usually be proud to show their knowledge, while real gurus have enough confidence, so they don't try to prove it.
-rem(
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Erwan. but I think the main interesteding part was the end, I meant, as you wrote, that people who generally talk about the fact that debian is better than gentoo or not have not a very good knowlegde about linux.
postgrep
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I knew my french was a bit off. I've only done 3 years of it in school, and I gave it up 2 months ago.
lee-jun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bounced around from distro to distro while I was more of a n00b. I quickly settled with debian. Eventually I wanted to know more about what was going on with the system, I am a comp sci student, so I moved to gentoo. Now of course I think gentoo rules, but that is because I am using it as a learning tool, and enjoy knowing exactly how my system was built. I would definatly use debian again though; it is a proven, stable system.

I love them both. Make love not war.
28 Gb Ultra160 15k SCSI hdd

dual boot -- WinXP/Gentoo on grub
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conclusively, Debian users are elitist jerks; Gentoo users are ricers. Lets go have some ice cream now, shall we?

"My logic is undeniable."
-rem(
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but what does "ricers" mean please ? ( France inside )
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricer = person who puts 8 spoilers on a 1.2 liter Honda and thinks it will make it look/go faster.
-rem(
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx... verry funny. We call them "Jacky", in France. So, now that I have learnt one more interesteding word, let's go for ice cream !

Of course, I searched first on systransoft.com, but they don't translate like that... ;)

Last edited by -rem( on Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoontje wrote:
Ricer = person who puts 8 spoilers on a 1.2 liter Honda and thinks it will make it look/go faster.

Applied to the Gentoo community, this means those of us who sneer at the bloated and slow Debian computers running generic OpenOffice and KDE packages while we run vi under TWM (both of which were compiled with custom USE flags for our architectures). omg f33l teh sp33d 0f g3nt00!!!!!1111
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWM is dog-slow, and I believe nano has a smaller overhead than vim. :wink: There is nothing wrong with optimization in itself, but most people are annoyed with the Gentoo ricers that submit bogus bug reports (and generally act like a nuisance), due to their lack of technical understanding of the parts they actually tweak. Many don't actually understand what a given CFLAG does, and what consequences its usage has. That can get a bit annoying. :)
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athas wrote:
TWM is dog-slow, and I believe nano has a smaller overhead than vim.

I've never noticed TWM to be slow although I certainly have never benchmarked it. As for vim, I agree with you, that's why I use vi and not vim :D
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papal_authority wrote:
racoontje wrote:

Applied to the Gentoo community, this means those of us who sneer at the bloated and slow Debian computers running generic OpenOffice and KDE packages while we run vi under TWM (both of which were compiled with custom USE flags for our architectures). omg f33l teh sp33d 0f g3nt00!!!!!1111

While normal people... Run xemacs under kde/gnome? huh?

BTW, whats wrong with vi (well, vim. I like vim), and since when do USE flags have anything to do with architectures? Surely you mean CFLAGS. And those who can handle running vi under TWM are generally not ricers. You gotta have some real skills to do that...

The real mark of a ricer are the stickers on the box :)
mrmodin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let them hate, who cares??
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaosite wrote:

While normal people... Run xemacs under kde/gnome? huh?
BTW, whats wrong with vi (well, vim. I like vim), and since when do USE flags have anything to do with architectures? Surely you mean CFLAGS. And those who can handle running vi under TWM are generally not ricers.

I use vi (not vim) and TWM so I don't know how read into my post that I disliked vi? I also think you took my comment way too seriously, I was joking. I knew I should have put a laughting emoticon in there.
kcy29581
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garbage Pail Kids,

Could you please refrain from calling people idiots? This is exactly what I meant by saying that Debian users act snobbish. I asked for help and advice if you can recall, as I admitted that I did not know everything about the Debian manuals. I simply added my own experience with it. I actually stiil use it on my laptop (it was installed by a friend) as it does its job perfectly. I will repeat... my own experiences! Just because I said I did not LIKE the manual does not mean I cannot USE it. So please stop acting like a stereotypical Debian user and actually help, give advice when it is asked, as I still after years of using it cannot find a different way of accessing the package lists other than physically going to the Debian Package Lists pages. You seem to know more so I ask for your help, as I already had done previously. The amount of forums that Debian users advise to "Read the F"£$ing Manual" when it's not in the manual they refer you to.. well, I can see why flame wars start.

All I've learnt from 4 years in Linux is that Debian may be rock-solid, but to look for help elsewhere. I have no "hatred" for Debian nor do I optimise Gentoo till my pc drops dead. I use Gentoo on my main desktop purely because I can maintain it on my own by knowing that if I ever get stuck (noones perfect) I have this great forum to come to for help.

And once again just to make it absolutely crystal clear from you, I ask for help in order to understand Debian more. I can take critisism but labelling people idiots just because you have nothing helpful to say is not solving problems. There is no friendliness in the Linux community, and this is worrying if not bloody annoying. At least Windows users tend to help eachother out with the many problems that can happen, paid help or otherwise.

Oh, and it's WINDOWS not Winblowz for those who can't spell
lightvhawk0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo ricer = this bug report
kcy29581
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... now that bug report is... there are no words to describe it. Funny is a word that springs to mind. I might try and simullate that machine to see what happens (that's a joke btw)
Debian is now finally off my laptop. After submitting my previous post in this thread I got thinking as to why I'm keeping it on if I'm getting no help from anyone from Debian's "community". So I tried Arch Linux (old versions wouldnt like my Linksys NIC). Not as stable as Debian "testing" or "unstable", though Pacman (its package manager, cool name :)) tries to be as helpful as Portage. Their forum seems to be riddled with remarks about Gentoo users, though after reading it becomes obvious that they refer to ricers, so I dont hold it against them. They did not slag off Portage which is nice, plus their community seems as helpful as ours! I still use most of Gentoo's docs though cause they are so simple to use.

Maybe this thread would not even exist if it werent for people who have CFLAGS occupying a hundred lines. Here's to them! :?

Oh, and it's WINDOWS not Winblowz for those who can't spell
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: