Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I refuse to use xorg....it sucks! (nevermind....user error)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chilling_Silence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sample working xorg.conf files @ 1024x768

Ive had a lot of people ask for these.

Using PS2 mouse/keyboard

http://www.dimension.net.nz/dump/xorg.conf.nvidia
http://www.dimension.net.nz/dump/xorg.conf.vesa

Copy the file as appropriate to /etc/X/xorg.conf as these two have helped a lot of my mates who've had it complain about "cannot find screen".

All else fails, try:
xorgconfig

Cheers

Chill.
Joe Schmow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to let everyone know, that after taking a few days off and re-looking at the documentation and my settings I found something that
fixed my problem.

I now have nvidia-kernel running with xorg and 2.6.10 ck-sources.

Thanks for your help,

-Joe

From Nvidia's readme on 1.0-6629:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6629/README.txt

Clip from Appendix T; Device Naming

Specifying the display device name in these options is not required;
if display device names are specified, then the driver attempts
to infer which display device a setting applies to. In the case
of MetaModes, for example, the first mode listed is applied to the
"first" display device, and the second mode listed is applied to the
"second" display device. Unfortunately, it is often unclear which
display device is the "first" or "second". That is why specifying
the display device name is preferable.

When specifying display device names, you may also omit the number part
of the name, though this is only useful if you only have one of that
type of display device. For example, if you have one CRT and DFP
connected, you may reference in the MetaMode string like this:

Option "MetaModes" "CRT: 1600x1200, DFP: 1024x768"
farnz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny Reply with quote

ICeDX wrote:
I find this quite funny.

xorg is the same as xfree, any bugs in xorg are the same as in xfree.

If theres any difference, it's your ATI cards. Which is in fact your fault as a linux user not to know before hand.

Not every peice of hardware out there is going to work well with Linux, so when shopping for a video card don't go to toms hardware and don't go to hardocp because everything they do is for windows.

So, I want a PCI video card for a Gentoo machine with basic 3D acceleration (for screensavers and the like, not Doom3). What would you recommend I buy instead of an ATI Radeon 9200 or 9250? I'll need you to point to either MIPS drivers, or the source that I can bugfix to work with my machine.

Currently, I just stick to those ATI cards supported by OSS drivers (even for x86 machines); I hope that someone in ATI is going to see unexpectedly high sales of the older Radeons, put two and two together and get four. If you've got a better suggestion, I'd like to hear it.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should open an own thread for this. So we you can reach more people with more experience. There are a lot of people out there which do not watch this thread but have an older ATI card and can share theire experience with you.
I myself would vote for a cheap Nvidia card. because of the better driver support :)
farnz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine wrote:
Maybe you should open an own thread for this. So we you can reach more people with more experience. There are a lot of people out there which do not watch this thread but have an older ATI card and can share theire experience with you.
I myself would vote for a cheap Nvidia card. because of the better driver support :)

What driver support? Seriously, unless you can find me a better card, I'm sticking to older ATIs which I can support myself without trouble (I'm used to finding errors that apply to PCI on unusual machines); I just don't like this attitude that I should use nVidia, whose cards have no 3D driver support at all on my choice of hardware. What happens if Microsoft buy nVidia, cancel Linux support and remove all drivers from their website? What happens if the kernel changes drastically to support something we've not yet seen, and nVidia decide it's not worth keeping up with the new kernel?

FWIW, I switched to Linux to escape vendor lock-in, not to choose a new vendor type to lock into. Older ATI cards fit that. nVidia cards don't. So, my question stands for anyone who says I shouldn't buy ATI; what should I buy instead to avoid binary drivers?
Chilling_Silence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he was referring to the ease of installation of nVidida drivers.

Ive not done ATi on Linux myself, however Ive heard of many more horro stories than with nVidia, who support Linux a lot more due to the larger industrial installation base.

ATi have made public statements (Of which I have none on reference) that state that whilst the linux user community make up a part of their install-base, they are mostly windows-focused and for that reason do not as actively develop their linux drivers.

Use ATi, your choice, no skin off my back. I however know that I can EASILY install nvidia drivers, distro-independant! ATi I reserve my personal views due to never owning a card, for the very reason Ive not read as many praises as other vendors.

Im not sure what your hardware is, however I notice that I get better frame-rates running Unreal Tournament under Cedega or WINE on my Gento Installation with my 64MB nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 than I do with comparible Windows setups.

No 3D support? For your hardware perhaps (Although you fail to specify this hardware).

Each to their own, YMMV, buy ATi if you wish.

However your negative speculations could also just as easily be applied to ATi, perhaps more-so due to their less linux-driven consumer focus.

Chill.
farnz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chilling_Silence wrote:
I believe he was referring to the ease of installation of nVidida drivers.

Ive not done ATi on Linux myself, however Ive heard of many more horro stories than with nVidia, who support Linux a lot more due to the larger industrial installation base.

ATi have made public statements (Of which I have none on reference) that state that whilst the linux user community make up a part of their install-base, they are mostly windows-focused and for that reason do not as actively develop their linux drivers.

Use ATi, your choice, no skin off my back. I however know that I can EASILY install nvidia drivers, distro-independant! ATi I reserve my personal views due to never owning a card, for the very reason Ive not read as many praises as other vendors.

Im not sure what your hardware is, however I notice that I get better frame-rates running Unreal Tournament under Cedega or WINE on my Gento Installation with my 64MB nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 than I do with comparible Windows setups.

No 3D support? For your hardware perhaps (Although you fail to specify this hardware).

Each to their own, YMMV, buy ATi if you wish.

However your negative speculations could also just as easily be applied to ATi, perhaps more-so due to their less linux-driven consumer focus.

Chill.

I've already specified that my hardware has a MIPS processor and a PCI bus, and runs Gentoo. I don't buy from the full range of ATI cards, just those that already have open source drivers, so my negative speculations do not apply. If ATI were to be bought out, and to remove all their Linux drivers, I'd be unaffected. I already have the source code to both the kernel side and the X side of the drivers for my cards, so in the event that ATI tried to pull Linux support, I'd be able to do it myself or pay someone to support the cards for me.

So, the question still stands; if you think I should buy from a different manufacturer (one which has better Linux support), which one is it? nVidia is out (no 3D drivers, incomplete 2D drivers). Newer ATI stuff is out (anything after the Radeon 9200). Are there any cards out there with at least the performance of the Radeon 9200, but with OSS drivers?
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe. I overread OOS support in youre post :)
Quote:
just stick to those ATI cards supported by OSS drivers

I have splittet this Topic to an Offthe Wall thread:
Open Source against Closed Source (eye on Graphik drivers)

I have reposted youre original question here:

Radeon 9200 or 9250? - with Open Source Support

If you don this by yourself due to my first post I will ask deletion of my thread by the admins. Sorry to be route but I do not want to talk about this here. I want to try to avoid it.
EDIT: feel free to post there :) Post here if you get angry about Xorg :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: