Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New experimental alpha livecd - please test
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 02 Sep 2002
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: New experimental alpha livecd - please test Reply with quote

I just released a new experimental livecd which solves all known problems afaik. As I'm sure it introduces a few new bugs as well I'd some feedback so I can make an even better livecd next time :D

The new livecd is called gentoo-alpha-2004.2-20040730.iso and you can find it in the experimental/alpha/livecd directory on the mirrors.

Please file any bugs you might find on http://bugs.gentoo.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AS2100
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jun 2004
Posts: 13
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Trying it now - Reply with quote

So far so good on an AlphaServer 2100a 4/275 3 processor with 384 MB RAM - I will let you know the results tomorrow when it finishes.

Matthew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LinuxFreakus
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love so much to try it... i had such a beautiful system at one point... had X and KDE working... then one day I tried updating kde and it upgraded my xfree at the same time... BAM, my x server will not start anymore.... couldn't figure out how to go back to the old version either so I've been console only ever since :(

Perhaps starting fresh with this new livecd would fix my problems but I can't afford to take the machine down right now since its my primary server... maybe in a few weeks i'll have time to switch everything to another box to try rebuilding the alpha :)

I just wish I knew how to get past those Elf_RelocateEntry errors when I start x... then I wouldn't need to do so much work...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AS2100
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jun 2004
Posts: 13
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Well - it worked Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay. It worked. I had to restart due to a thunderstorm killing the power 3/4 of the way through but all is well and running right now. I did NOT find any issues with the install.

Matthew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plut0nium
n00b
n00b


Joined: 07 May 2003
Posts: 51
Location: Mons [Belgium]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice... it boots well on my Digital Personal Workstation 433a

but it lacks network drivers modules...
i can't get my DEC 21041 NIC working :(
_________________
"Without evil there can be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes..."
site | blog | ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plut0nium
n00b
n00b


Joined: 07 May 2003
Posts: 51
Location: Mons [Belgium]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, it was compiled into the kernel...

and it works !

lets go further with the install ;)
_________________
"Without evil there can be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes..."
site | blog | ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skylark
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I just tried out this new LiveCD, and the one thing that strikes me as odd is that the files in /boot don't have the same names as what they're supposed to be called (as stated in http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-alpha.xml?part=1&chap=2#doc_chap3 )

So for people like me, who need a MILO command to boot the LiveCD (because I have an AlphaBIOS machine), I had to use a different command than what is given in the installation instructions. It would probably be a good idea to keep things consistent (either keep filenames the same, or keep the instructions up to date).

In case anyone's interested, here's the original command in the manual :
Code:
boot hdb:boot/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc

and here's the command I had to type in :
Code:
boot sr0:/boot/gentoo initrd=/boot/gentoo.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=zisofs loop=/zisofs cdroot

(replace sr0 with your CD-ROM's device name)

Other than that, I just want to say, great work! No other distribution's boot CD ever worked right, they always failed and I ended up having to boot from diskettes and then install from the CD afterwards, which takes a lot more time (Debian, Red Hat). But your LiveCD actually works, and works great!

I have yet to go through the whole installation (I can't keep my system down for more than a few hours for now), but I just wanted to say that. Good work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MxA
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Apr 2004
Posts: 20
Location: Amsterdam, NL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried booting with the new, experimental liveCD on my Alpha XLT 300 (AlphaBIOS 5.70, MILO 2.2.19). It works beautifully, good job! :D

I agree with Skylark on the handbook-vs-livecd discrepancy. I knew what to type in, because I knew where to look (/etc/aboot.conf on the CD), but I can imagine this can lead to confusion.

I noticed you have used a 2.4.26 kernel, that is good news for XLT users (see the"XLT thread" http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=161155). Is this going to be put in the alpha-sources ebuild as well? That would really make me happy!

Marnix.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 02 Sep 2002
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm currently building the 2004.3 release livecd + stages which will almost identical to the 20040730 experimental release.

Most of the bugs seems to be related to the handbook and are being fixed as soon as bugreports are filed on http://bugs.gentoo.org.

Regarding alpha-sources - I'll look at the patches soon to see how much work it'll take upgrading alpha-sources. For the livecd I'm planning on using 2.4.27 as alpha-sources would need lots of testing before using it on a livecd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
synthmeme
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Dec 2003
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kloeri wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm currently building the 2004.3 release livecd + stages which will almost identical to the 20040730 experimental release.


If I want to install a new, stage1 system from this livecd, is it safe to use the 2004.2 stage1 then emerge -u world post-installl? Would that even make sense?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 02 Sep 2002
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's usually safe to mix and match stages and livecds any way you like. That said I haven't tested that combination so you get to keep both pieces if it breaks :)

Hope your install works as intended.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
synthmeme
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Dec 2003
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kloeri wrote:
It's usually safe to mix and match stages and livecds any way you like. That said I haven't tested that combination so you get to keep both pieces if it breaks :)

Hope your install works as intended.


Now that I think about it, there really wouldn't be any particular advantage to this vs using the 2004.2 livecd, would there? It's the packages combined in the stages files that make up the realease. Or am I not interpreting this correctly?

If the new 2004.3 stage* files are due imminently, maybe I'll give just wait for the release to do this particular installation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 02 Sep 2002
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthmeme wrote:
Kloeri wrote:
It's usually safe to mix and match stages and livecds any way you like. That said I haven't tested that combination so you get to keep both pieces if it breaks :)

Hope your install works as intended.


Now that I think about it, there really wouldn't be any particular advantage to this vs using the 2004.2 livecd, would there? It's the packages combined in the stages files that make up the realease. Or am I not interpreting this correctly?

If the new 2004.3 stage* files are due imminently, maybe I'll give just wait for the release to do this particular installation.


The livecds doesn't really matter as long as they have the needed hardware support. Many people are using non-gentoo livecds to install which is just fine.

Regarding the stages.. 2004.3 is supposed to be released november 15th but Gentoo is a very fluid distribution. This also means that your system is current if you emerge --sync and update world. There's absolutely no need to reinstall a box using a newer livecd and/or stages or wait for newer stages to be released. The end-result will be just the same.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
synthmeme
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Dec 2003
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kloeri wrote:
synthmeme wrote:
Kloeri wrote:
It's usually safe to mix and match stages and livecds any way you like. That said I haven't tested that combination so you get to keep both pieces if it breaks :)

Hope your install works as intended.


Now that I think about it, there really wouldn't be any particular advantage to this vs using the 2004.2 livecd, would there? It's the packages combined in the stages files that make up the realease. Or am I not interpreting this correctly?

If the new 2004.3 stage* files are due imminently, maybe I'll give just wait for the release to do this particular installation.


The livecds doesn't really matter as long as they have the needed hardware support. Many people are using non-gentoo livecds to install which is just fine.

Regarding the stages.. 2004.3 is supposed to be released november 15th but Gentoo is a very fluid distribution. This also means that your system is current if you emerge --sync and update world. There's absolutely no need to reinstall a box using a newer livecd and/or stages or wait for newer stages to be released. The end-result will be just the same.


OK, that confirms my what I suspected. Thanks for the clarification.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skylark
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Kloeri,

I am able to keep my machine down for a little while, so I've gotten back on this. Unfortunately, even with the 2004.3 liveCD, the handbook hasn't been changed...

Kloeri wrote:
Most of the bugs seems to be related to the handbook and are being fixed as soon as bugreports are filed on http://bugs.gentoo.org.


Re-reading this, I get that you wanted me to submit the report... Sorry, I didn't understand it that way at first! :? I'll do that right now, since there doesn't seem to be a duplicate when searching the existing bugs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum