EVMS and dual booting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: EVMS and dual booting Reply with quote

Hello all.

I am about to start an installation on my reconfigured machine, and have been thinking I would like to give EVMS a go - the plan is to set up lsr partitions...

Anyway, I would also like to have a small windows partiiton for a few games that I enjoy playing, and my question is, has anyone done it before or does anyone know if it is possible?

Specifically, I am curious as to whether or not I can create a fat32 partition from within EVMS or not. In the documentation on the home page, it states there is a DOS segment manager in EVMS. I was thinking I would be able to create perhaps a 10 gig DOS partition, and then at a later date install windows 2k on there, and let it take care of the formatting during the install.

I have 2 40gig hard drives, and it's only use is as a desktop workstation.

I would be interested to hear other people's opinions, and any suggestions from those that may have been there before.

Cheers
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hate to reply to my own post, but for reference if anyone is interested in the future, this can be dont - sort of.

I misunderstood the EVMS documentation - either that or the program as well, heh. I was unable to create any DOS (Windows) partitions with EVMS, and when I think about it, even if you could then the Windows OS will most likely be unable to recognize them anyway due to not having the ability to use EVMS (afaik).

The solution for me was to use fdisk to create my Windows and /boot partitions, then use EVMS to create LSR partitions on the remaining free space. It was simple to use after getting the hang of it, and booting into the system with grub was no hassle at all, quite different from my experiences using a Promise raid controller.

The 1.4 cd can be used from the get go as there is no issue with the md raid module for software raid in the kernel - the EVMS options are available from the CD environment and as long as you compile your kernel with the EVMS options in it, then you won't have any problems. I think the gentoo-sources kernel is the only one with EVMS available (just an assumption), so if you wish to use different sources then I guess you need to compile the gentoo-sources initially then once you are up and running, patch the kernel-sources you want with EVMS.

All in all - a painless, fun and easy way to get a system up and running.
FuriousGeorge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit late, but if you have a "dos segment manager" on the disk, you can make partitions which are readable by grub, and windows, etc. i had a hell of a time comprehending this, and i still don't beyond setting up my particular partitions, but my needs are similar to yours (were).

"dos" segment manager is probably a poor name choice, because it jsut refers to general "normal" partitions, like the kind made by fdisk, that grub can read. you can also create an "evms volume" or something, on a "segment" (partition), and it will still be windows/grub radable, as long as you dont do anything "different" like make an lvms raid "container". you can them name it something like you would with a "special" evms volume (i.e. you can have windows boot off a device that linux sees as /dev/evms/nameUpick). the same goes for linux partitions not in "special" evms volumes

*my terminology could be way off, but i hope you get the idea.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: