recommended joysticks?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
float-
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: recommended joysticks? Reply with quote

I just tried X-Plane 8 and I liked it, so now I'm figuring about getting a joystick, but as I've heard there are major problems with joysticks atm.
So what joysticks are known to work well with linux?

I also heard that some joysticks only works with kernels before 2.6.7?!
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im using a logitech dual analog joystick with 2.6.10, works great with zsnes.
Doogman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? The Linux joystick scene seems to be better-than-ever right now. At least everything I have works. I'm running a 2.6.10-ck1n kernel with udev.

For MAME, I recently bought a USB Saitek P880 Dual Analog gamepad. Works great! Highly recommended. The only thing that doesn't work is the "shift" button to provide a second set of functions for each button. It must be a software function in Windows. Anyway, with 10 buttons you still have plenty for MAME. The "digital" button does work, however, so you can easily switch between the D-Pad and the first analog control.

For the "old school" soundcard gameport, I'm still using my trusty old CH Flightstick (at least 12 years old!). Perfectly supported in Linux, hat and all.

Like you, I'm getting into flight sims again, so I have a set of CH USB Pro Pedals on the way. I'm also going to dig into my closet and find my old gameport CH ProPilot yoke. Again, according the driver docs it should be completely supported (2 hats, 6 buttons + throttle) in Linux (didn't try it yet). I thought about purchasing a new CH yoke, but for $100 I think I'll get a bit more use of out my old yoke first.

In about a work I'll let you know how the whole setup works.
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 joysticks, a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro (gameport) and a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 (usb) and both work in anything I've tried.
float-
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that you wolf, like Microsoft so much, so you can buy two joysticks from them? and at the same time you only order games from tuxgames :?:
Imek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold. It's a very good joystick, but I have had a few problems getting it to work with Vendetta Online. I had to find and use the old jscal to calibrate it, as the calibrator that came with libjsw doesn't seem to work with the game. Apart from that, it's flawless.

The Saiteg Cyborg Evo is the predecessor to my joystick - so I assume it'll work just as well - and I've heard nothing but great things about it.
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

float- wrote:
I didn't know that you wolf, like Microsoft so much, so you can buy two joysticks from them? and at the same time you only order games from tuxgames :?:

Well, for one, the Microsoft Hardware division is pretty much a separate entity from the software division, but I had bought the Sidewinder 3D Pro back when it was first released. The Precision 2, I purchased used off eBay, which means Microsoft didn't get my money.

Buying something because you like it has nothing to do with liking the company. After all, how many people do you know that claim to hate Microsoft, yet they run Windows?

Personally, I can't stand the Saitek stuff. I'm pretty particular about what I use for Descent, which is why I've stuck with the old faithful 3D Pro. I got the Precision 2 because for a while, I had no gameport on my primary workstation, and also for use when I'm "on-the-road" with my laptop.
float-
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be little off-topic, but when will we see wolf31o2 and the other devs in the GWN ?? :P

EDIT: NO, I'M NOT GAY, I'M JUST A WOLF-FAN!
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, the GWN seems to favor newer devs than older ones. While I am definitely not one of the old hats, by far, I've been a Gentoo dev since July 2003.

For anyone wanting to meet me, I'll be at Linux World in Boston from February 15th to the 17th.

Anyway, perhaps I'll write up a little "Featured Developer" section of my own, but it looks as if it has not been run in the GWN for quite some time.
MrSums
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolf31o2 wrote:
I have 2 joysticks, a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro (gameport) and a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 (usb) and both work in anything I've tried.

I can only find the Sidewinder option in xconfig if I select "Show all options", but it is greyed out - how do I select it?
MrSums
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't read back far enough - USB doesn't need the driver - and I hadn't enabled the module uhci-hcd, so no USB was being recognised in any event.

All working fine now

Robert
Doogman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as recommended joysticks, or perhaps more accurately, HID's for Linux, I have some more to recommend:

CH Pro Pedals USB: These are really good USB rudder pedals made by CH Products. They perform flawlessly in Linux.

Saitek R220 Steering Wheel/ Pedals: An inexpensive but really nice USB steering wheel/pedals combo. Again, they work perfectly when penguin-powered. They are really nice to have now that I have Grand Prix Legends working under WINE. Hmmm, probably something I should write a post about... :)

As for old-school gameport devices, all the buttons and hats on the CH Flightstick and CH Virtual Pilot Pro are supported by the joystick module when you pass the right arguments.

As for USB joysticks and such, I think the key is to find a device that doesn't require drivers to function in WinXP. Neither of the above USB devices even come with a driver disk.
tzara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a sim freak and also use the USB versions of CH Yoke, CH Combatstick, and CH Pro Pedals. All work more-or-less perfectly with both X-plane and Flightgear, except for some occasional but rare glitches with the hat switch on the Combatstick (sometimes it just doesn't work, haven't figured out why - restarting X-plane solves it so it's probably not a Gentoo/Linux-related thing). Just plug them in and make sure you have your kernel configed for USB and Joysticks. Haven't tried one of their throttle devices yet, but that's next. CH makes the best sim-hardware products that don't cost thousands of dollars, in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: