emerge question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: emerge question Reply with quote

Hey all...

I'm a Slackware defector so please be gentle :)

I have a general question about emerge that I can't really find a concrete question to.

If I do a "emerge --update world", and it finds updates do I still have to "emerge unmerge" the package versions it replaces?

I noticed in the Portage user manual it states that doing a "unmerge" after merging a newer version is The Right Way To Do It...but then there's another thing i'm curious about:

If so, what is the proper way to determine what IS currently installed? I looked through the man pages for emerge, but couldn't find any info for a "query" (basically, I'm lookin for a equivalent of "rpm -qa"

Thanks for your help!
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Listing installed packages Reply with quote

Answer 1: Yes, you do! Or you can emerge clean which will strip out all files belonging to outdated builds - much easier than manually unmerging them.

Answer 2: emerge app-admin/gentoolkit, then qpkg -I. As you may have gathered, there are two basic "classifications" for Gentoo's ports: system and er, everything else. emerge --pretend --emptytree system will show you a list of packages that are part of the system set (implicitly, they should be installed because they are considered essential). qpkg reports all installed packages, regardless. Have a look in the Tips'n'Tricks section for a script I put together that might help. But it's intended for a slightly different purpose and won't report the version numbers ... I should make it a bit more of a general purpose tool perhaps?
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Listing installed packages Reply with quote

kerframil wrote:
Answer 1: Yes, you do! Or you can emerge clean which will strip out all files belonging to outdated builds - much easier than manually unmerging them.

Answer 2: emerge app-admin/gentoolkit, then qpkg -I. As you may have gathered, there are two basic "classifications" for Gentoo's ports: system and er, everything else. emerge --pretend --emptytree system will show you a list of packages that are part of the

Great! This is exactly what I was looking for....Thanks!!
proxy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also pkg-clean in gentoolkit does a nice job of getting rid or duplicates and outdated versions
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: