Gentoo and i18n or how not to compile all languages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Gentoo and i18n or how not to compile all languages Reply with quote

Hi all!
I am quite a newbie to gentoo, but have much experience with RH.

While installing different ebuilds, I noticed that some programs (like wget) install several languagges by default. For the last hour or so I am googleing the Net about locale, localedef, $LINGUAS and so on, but cannot find a simple answer to my question. Ah, well, which is:

How do I configure my system so that (if there is support) only some languages (bg ja en) be compiled and installed (man pages, other for gettext...) ? Is there such a way, or should I hack every package? In which case I will not.

Kalin.
Maz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to only install some languages.

I think you are looking for package 'localepurge'. Please note that by default it will erase almost all locales, read the man page carefully.
Kalin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: i18n, locales, again looking for info Reply with quote

I couldn't find any more info on the subject and I was away from gentoo for a while...

So now, that I install a new box from stage1, it is a pain in the a.s to build all the locales in glibc, TWICE even.

Anybody thinking of say a LANGS tag in the make.conf, or something similar?

Kalin.
swallowhc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: i18n, locales, again looking for info Reply with quote

Kalin wrote:
I couldn't find any more info on the subject and I was away from gentoo for a while...

So now, that I install a new box from stage1, it is a pain in the a.s to build all the locales in glibc, TWICE even.

Anybody thinking of say a LANGS tag in the make.conf, or something similar?

Kalin.

add cjk,nls in USE rule.like:
USE=" nls cjk ........."
try it~
-------------del
sorry,i understand what you mean now ,yes, it's a good idea,i wanna to know too,sorry again

Last edited by swallowhc on Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Kalin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has nothing to do with my question...

I have nls and cjk in USE flags already, but I dont want Chinese or French for example, no bad feelings, just don't speak those languages.

I was trying with LINGUAS="en ja ru bg de" for example, but could not make it work for wget (for example).

Anybody with more info?
jcosters
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in favour of adding a LANGS variable in make.conf, that seems kinda logical to me.
Kalin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: i18n, locales, again looking for info Reply with quote

Well, it seems wget is not exactly using the magic of m4, this is what I got from their mailing list:

> At installation time something like this should work:
>
> wget-1.6/po> make install CATALOGS="en.gmo ja.gmo bg.gmo"
>
> The configure trick does not work because wget's configure.in is a little bit non-standard:
> It does not include all of the usual m4/gettext.m4 magic.

BTW, as it seems standard to use $LINGUAS, why not set it in make.conf (and document it).

I tried localepurge pkg but am not quite satisfied with it after it deleted some ja_JP locale although ja was configured not to be purged (ja, not ja_JP, but...). I know it is in alpha and don't blame anybody, just my experience. I amy eventualy rewrite such script from scratch in some time...

That's for now, if anybody is interested in i18n, keepo posting !!!
seemant
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: there is a proposal for a language tag in make.conf Reply with quote

portage itself needs to support such a thing, and I have a bug request open about it for a long time.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9988

unfortunately, I know not much about the stuff, so it is only my ideas. input (to the bug report) welcome.
liquidx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to clarify,

USE="cjk" mostly is used to specify patches to console programs to deal with multi-byte characters that are used in those locales. for instance groff, links, etc. or in some cases like the upcoming xfree, is just used to install extra cjk fonts.

if you don't wish to have cjk support, then have it set off, if you don't really care, having cjk set just means a patch is used for your favourite terminal program or whatever to deal with it. it won't install anything specifically extra.

there is also a bug owned by cjk@gentoo.org that requests japanese/chinese/korean useflags. it is something in the pipeline and possibly going to be formulated into a proposal when we identify which packages can actually use it.
Kalin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep the thread alive, here is an bit of my /etc/make.conf file:

Code:

# packages that don't work with LINGUAS:
# break: sharutils atk gtk+-2.2.1
# ignore: wget man net-tools cups
LINGUAS="bg en ja ru de"

I comment the LINGUAS when I build some of the "break" packages...

Last edited by Kalin on Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
xianx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, i was searching the forums for just the thing. Too bad there's no clear solution. I am interested in slimming down the languages that are used, How much in anyone's opinion would this improve space requirements/speed or anything like that?

thanks for any info.
Kalin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a mail from Hrvoje Niksic (wget developer) witha patch that makes wget use $LINGUAS and $ALL_LINGUAS ! See: http://cvs.sunsite.dk/viewcvs.cgi/wget/aclocal.m4?rev=1.19&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Another program with "problems" is mplayer... Well, it took me a week to understad that mplayer actually understands $LINGUAS in his way, i.e. the user interface (all messages printed on the console) are in the first language of $LINGUAS and are hard-coded at compile time. It happened to be Bulgarian at that time and I was trying to read it on a japanese terminal... So I had to switch my make.conf (and recompile) to:
Code:

# packages that don't work with LINGUAS:
# break: sharutils atk gtk+-2.2.1
# ignore: wget man net-tools cups util-linux
LINGUAS="en bg ja ru"

That is for now, waiting for the next release of wget. Or may patch the ebuild :-D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: