NFS problems with LTSP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgirard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: NFS problems with LTSP Reply with quote

Recently I have been attempting to setup an LTSP for a small(ish) private school. It has mostly gone well as I worked through all of the pxe/etherboot issues, then the tftp issues, but now I am stuck on a (seemingly) NFS issue. Really stuck...

The problem is that the client reports:
Code:
nfs server: 192.168.1.5 not responding, still trying

and after a little bit longer finally seems to give up with:
Code:
nfs: task 82 can't get a request slot

The problem here is that NFS is definetly running on the server. In fact the server logs show:
Code:
[rpc.mountd] authenticated mount request from ws002:688 for /opt/ltsp/i386 (/opt/ltsp/i386)

as soon as the first "not responding" message is displayed. Only it is responding, it is in the logs and according to showmount -a everything is keen. The kicker here is that I can nfs mount that directory (and the /home directories) flawlessly from my gentoo workstation (not the server, but on the same local network).

I enabled NFS 3 support in the server kernel because it is supposed to be able to handle either 2 or 3 depending on the client. Could this be a factor here? Thanks for any help!

-Matt
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if this is related or not, but I recently installed LTSP on my desktop and setup my laptop as a client for it. Although I have a disk drive for the laptop(USB) I don't have it handy and so I decided to do the pxe boot thingy. My laptop is a toshiba 5005-s507 and it comes with the intel ethernet express 100. I usesd rom-o-matic to create the pxe file and selected support for eepro100. The problem is that the standard linux driver for the intel ethernet express does not support my laptops built-in ethernet port, or should I say only partially and not really. On the laptop I use intels e100 driver which works fine, for my standard gentoo installl, but the linux kernel module eepro does not work right-and this is what rom-o-matic supports. When I try to start the client it boots and starts going through the init routines and most frequently hangs at some point along the way, -if it makes it to the actual prompt, if frequnetly then hangs-and I get the same error messages as you have echoed on the screen-even thought I know NFS is running and I know that the connection is there....the pxe rom file from rom-o-matic simply misconfigures the ethernet port in my laptop and confuses it, allowing it to sometimes work, for a certain time, whereas most of the time the nfs connection is lost and I must reboot the machine....so perhaps your problem has something to do with correctly configuring your ethernet card at boot-up....of course your setup could be totally different than mine-hope this helps ....
TrippyZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently setup ltsp here, and went through all the woes.

Although I didn't have your particular error, I did find it helpful to use a heavy dollop of tcpdump -X to figure out what the heck was going on/wrong.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: