what I love to hate about Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adelante
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: what I love to hate about Gentoo Reply with quote

I'm a huge gentoo fan, and all my internet servers run Gentoo, love it because i find it a hell of a lot easier to maintain and upgrade than other distro's but I do have one thing which annoys the hell out of me (and this is not the fault of Gentoo, but the rest of the world)

What I hate is the fact that things like CPANEL and PLESK and Meric Server and applications like that which have been written for all other distro alive, are never written with gentoo support, it pisses me off, being in the internet industry, looking for an awesome webhosting control panel like cpanel, and not being able to use any of them because my servers run gentoo. Personally I would image it would be easy to adapt or write software like this for gentoo, they could even link it to things like the portage.

I have found so many applications out there, which are extremely awesome, but just don't seem to work on Gentoo, for one, does anyone know of any webhosting control panels that even comes close to cpanel that works with gentoo 100%

or decent email software which works 100% with gentoo?
msalerno
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read in the Plesk forums and I think in these forums as well that people have gotten plesk working on Gentoo.
A quick search of "gentoo"on http://forum.plesk.com will return a few results. Within those results, you will find some people who got it working.
A quick search of "plesk" on https://forums.gentoo.org will return a few results as well.

Quote:
decent email software which works 100% with gentoo?

Client or Server?
I have gotten both working with minimal effort, what problems are you having with email software?
adelante
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

email server software

i have a vpopmail + qmail setup, which is all good and well, but there are somethings which annoy me about it (granted the version in portage is really outdated) But like how does vpopmail handle the alias domains, in the old days it was just symlinks, but now days no one can give me an answer to this, not even the guys from vpopmail. I find it easier to go and buy a software solution, that way its properly supported, and u have somewhere to go when there are problems (dont get me wrong, a hell of a lot of OSS software also has great support) but not in the email server market.

I will check up on the plesk progress.
adelante
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Given your techinical abilities PLESK will run on gentoo. However it will not run out of the box. You have to reconfigure alot of the installation as you go to get things where they need to be. We ran PLESK on our gentoo server for about a year, but due to the complexity of upgrades, and spanning multiple systems, the work it takes to do so was not worth it.

See what I mean, its stuff like this that gets to me, why cant they just write a gentoo supported system.
msalerno
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand what you are saying. I used to do alot of work with Plesk. You are not the only person who is not happy about this, but others have found other solutions.

http://vhcs.net/new/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=18984&topic_id=3988&forum=23#forumpost18984
Not as simple as an emerge, but it looks good.
adelante
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think the problem I might have is the way in which i admin my servers.

90% of the hosting servers out there are a 'all-in-one' solution, like they load redhat with cpanel, and then load clients, and that server handles all their mail, their website, their spam scanning, their virus scanning, everything is packed into 1 server, whereas with my servers, I prefer to have a dedicated hosting server, a dedicated mail server, a dedicated spam/virus scanning server.

I find that a server can be optimized a lot more if its sole purpose is to do one thing and one thing only.

Am I wrong in thinking this way? I mean is 90% of the industry wrong or what am I missing here?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using servers that can't handle a massive load then yeah it would be better to have dedicated ones.

But if you've got a powerful-enough server that can easily handle the workload of beind, say, both an FTP server and a DHCP server, I can't see why you'd need to separate them.

And I think part of it is for making maitenance easier. This way, your server is always at a specified computer/IP address.
adelante
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have 5 dedicated webservers (running apache, php, ftp and basically anything need for webhosting)

I then have a dedicated mailserver, which handles all mail and only mail

then i have 3 spam/virus scanners which obviously handle the scanning and then forward the clean messages onto the server above

i think i prefer the dedicated route, but yeah, setting up of an account is a bit of a headache, since it needs to setup things on different servers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: