Jagged Alliance (glibc-related) Sound Problems [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basramm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Jagged Alliance (glibc-related) Sound Problems [solved] Reply with quote

Hi!

I just bought the linux version of the excellent Jagged Alliance 2 and am trying to get it to work under Gentoo. Using the native Loki Installer I almost got there. When I run the start script provided with the installer I get the following message:
Code:
./ja2: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

However, when I pull some tricks (su to root, manually mount cd to /mnt/cdrom, cd to install dir) and then directly call the game binary instead of the start script, the game will start and I can play. But now I have no sound, at least not ingame (cutscenes seem to work). All I hear is a really enerving 'click'-sound that is repeated endlessly.

I searched the web and found something that seems to be helpful (here and here):
Quote:
We're most of the way there (as a matter of fact, on my system, JA2 will
start up and run, with the occasional crash and no sound at this point).
The JA2 binary is incompatible with the NPTL-compiled version of glibc,
however. Red Hat includes a non-NPTL version of glibc in Fedora Core 1.
You just need to tell the Linux dynamic loader to use it:

$ export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

This is also part of the already mentioned start script.

Now how do I get a glibc version compatible with JA2 without replacing my existing one? Is it possible to install two concurrent versions (for example via slots), and if yes how do I do it and tell JA2 about it?
basramm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: solved it myself Reply with quote

Spending somedays searching and reading, I was able to resolve this myself. If you want to know some details, Bug 21132 has a lot of info. To put it short, all I had to do was unmask a recent version of glibc and remerge it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: