Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
1... 2... 3! 3 questions! :)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forty-Two
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: 1... 2... 3! 3 questions! :) Reply with quote

Hey, I was wounding if anyone could answer the following questions (in no particular order)

1) how stable is gentoo ppc-macos, if it is running off of the ~ppc keyword? I'm assuming it would be more stable then FC2 was on the imac. (god, that was a nightmare.) Anyways, I guess I want to know if having more packages pays off.

2) Is there sound, and sleep? I love linux to death, but I'm rather annoyed at the lack of sleep support for lcd imacs.

3) is it possible to have a user setup that is purly x11 based? It would be nice to have a user account setup that kills non-critical osx functions, and starts up GDM on log in. I'd asume that this would be done with a script. It would be preferable if I could just have it happen for certian users.

-keifer
pindar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I understand your questions, but I'll try to answer:

1. Do you mean if it's stable to have ~ppc as your keyword while running portage under OS X? Quite a few of the packages without the ppc-macos keyword will compile, most won't.

2. That's a non-question. Are you sure you meant to post in this section? With ppc-macos, you are not running a linux system, so OS X will take care of sleep & sound.

3. This question is not about portage on OS X; try searching www.macosxhints.com.
msgyrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I've seen, no, you cannot disable quartz graphics manager, you can run X11 apps through quartz, but not without it. The way Apple initializes their hardware differs from regular bsd, so I doubt the hardware would be properly configured/mounted so that an x windows system could take over. If you wanted to dual boot but maintain hardware compatibility, you could use the darwin core as a secondary os and install an x server on that.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: