Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
OTW will be deleted soon
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gowator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
curtis119 wrote:
While a majority of my posts are in OTW, I do regulary answer tech posts on other parts of the forum. OTW gives me something to do in my spare time and is my main social outlet. I have to admit that if it were deleted I probably would not be here. I would continue to use gentoo though. Closing OTW would be a very bad move for gentoo in general. The forums, and OTW in particular, are the reason that gentoo is so well known across the FOSS community and the driving force behind the rise of the gentoo install base.
In short, deleting OTW would be nothing short of suicide for gentoo and we all know this. Why must we go through this charade of threatening to delete otw every few months? Why not just take the advice that has been offered and simply add more mods that are dedicated to otw? There are many forum members who would gladly donate the time and effort to this endeavour (myself included)..

I gotta agree which makes me wonder why non of the admins has commented on my suggestions....
everything bobp said happened ... it is now working as i described....
Yep its a comprimise but we managed to keep some of the longer standing members before they followed the others and quit!!!

Quote:

you've made some good points Curtis.

everyone who's been around specialty web forums long enough has seen this happen: the idea of deleting an open forum like OTW gets tossed around failry commonly. i've seen it happen time after time after time on other forums. more often than not, the reason for such a drastic policy change is cited as difficulty in moderation. more often than not, though, those of us who have had a chance to view the server data have found that forums like OTW are expensive bandwidth hogs.

i haven't actually researched the numbers, but i would not doubt that in a forum like this one, OTW ranks in the top 3 users of bandwidth. time and time again i've seen forums decide that the cost of supporting a forum like OTW is too expensive. as a result, one of two ideas usually crops up: a) eliminate it, or b) charge for access to it. IME an administration that has chosen either one of these options has committed the equivalent of cyber suicide. if you delete OTW, your board traffic and bandwidth requirements will indeed go down. membership count will go down, and the site will become less popular. and it will cost less to maintain. but then your financial supporters will look at your traffic numbers and your user numbers and find it less worthy of funding, and a downward spiral ensues. remember: a board with zero traffic is infinitely easier to administrate.

edits messed up my quotes ...

Last edited by gowator on Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
rezza
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
skyfolly wrote:
Great, my posts will stay the same forever. ha ha

Not necessarily. We're also talking about retroactively removing OTW posts from post counts as well.

--kurt

Please do.
noe_shit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the authoritarian view of doing things has crashed. Yet again.

And you cant learn that power from above is bad.

Let the forumposters mod it. Or dont police around, just leave it. I whould prefer the previous thing, let the otw-posters mod themselfs around on this or on some other forum.

Kurt: You seem to think that its just the forum-posters who cant be civilized, well i can tell you that its not the case, several moderators did act like a bitch just before closing a thread, or moving a thread to the dustbin even if its a fine thread, just becouse they dont agree with it.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, OH, USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rezza wrote:
klieber wrote:
skyfolly wrote:

Not necessarily. We're also talking about retroactively removing OTW posts from post counts as well.

--kurt

Please do.

I have always agreed with this from the beginning. In fact, when I first joined I was quite surprised when my postcount increased because of posting in OTW. I also think gentoo chat should be excluded from the postcount, but that's just me.

/curtis119 watches as his postcount spirals down to 722.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it! I'll get some work done at last...
ag_x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe that we can moderate ourselves.
Soon or later,through a short period of time,the balance will come with the one way or another.
Despite the popular beliefe,there is no lack of intelligence in gentoo forum.
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I think killing the postcount is a good compromise. Some people who were compensating via postcount may now venture into the support forums to restore their former 'stature'. ;)
Trevoke
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A memorial thread named after me? Come now.. it's nice of you to compare me with Stormy Eyes but I don't know if I am worthy :)
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ag_x wrote:
I still believe that we can moderate ourselves.
Soon or later,through a short period of time,the balance will come with the one way or another.
Despite the popular beliefe,there is no lack of intelligence in gentoo forum.

:lol:
gowator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzsimmons wrote:
Yep, I think killing the postcount is a good compromise. Some people who were compensating via postcount may now venture into the support forums to restore their former 'stature'. ;)

..but is that good?

I don't give a toss about my postcount... not 2c... but if people do and venture elsewhere just to increase it with lame posts then that will affect the forum as a whole more than it being in OTW.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzsimmons wrote:

There is a script running doing this right now.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Xbox Forums admins killed their "Off-Topic Discussion" forum, and half the regulars left.
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gowator wrote:
Fitzsimmons wrote:

..but is that good?

I don't give a toss about my postcount... not 2c... but if people do and venture elsewhere just to increase it with lame posts then that will affect the forum as a whole more than it being in OTW.

I was implying that it could quite possibly have a positive effect of the effectiveness of the support forums.
nyteryda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian! wrote:
Fitzsimmons wrote:

There is a script running doing this right now.

You are doing the right thing and removing Gentoo Chat as well I take it ?
Tasslehoff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gowator wrote:

..but is that good?

I dont see why post count matters anywhere. I would say remove postcount and give custom titles instead.
jakamaka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booooooo ! :)
vonhelmet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
skyfolly wrote:

--kurt

Um...

How are you going to do that?

I don't remember any such functionality in PHPBB so I assume you'll be hacking around in a MySQL terminal to do that...
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vonhelmet wrote:
I don't remember any such functionality in PHPBB so I assume you'll be hacking around in a MySQL terminal to do that...

We hired a monkey that calculates the postcount and enters >55000 sql-statements.
nyteryda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian! wrote:
vonhelmet wrote:

We hired a monkey that calculates the postcount and enters >55000 sql-statements.

<JOKE REMOVED>...</JOKE REMOVED> (even though it was a open goal with a big neon sign)

Postcount == Postcount
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyteryda wrote:
Gentoo Chat is starting to look real appealing now...
nyteryda wrote:
That wouldn't encourage us who have just lost our postcount to behave well, you might end up seeing a fair amount of postcount whoring in any post under the sun, and in every support thread, someone saying something that isn't really worth saying, or just "RTFM!" and crap like that. but hey, when my back is too the wall...
I seriously hope you are joking.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Dr Gonzo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the retroactive removing of post counts, that's supposed to solve the problem? Seems kind of like a silly solution to me. I mean, I guess there are a good many post-count whores who hang around here a lot, but I can't say I'm sure it will have the effect desired. By that, I mean, I don't think people will behave better because they have fewer posts. Just kinda seems like trying to put out a fire that's already burning by banning future gasoline sales.

I, personally, don't care how many posts I have, I come here to talk about interesting stuff, and there are some pretty funny people here. I can do without it, as I've said, though.

George W. Bush

Last edited by Dr Gonzo on Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Gonzo wrote:
I mean, I guess there are a good many post-count whores who hang around here a lot, but I can't say I'm sure it will have the effect desired. By that, I mean, I don't think people will behave better because they have fewer posts.
I personally agree, but getting rid of the postcount whores isn't a Bad Thing.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Vanquirius
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
We're also talking about retroactively removing OTW posts from post counts as well.

While I don't care about my own post count, I know others do [a lot]. Punishing people when they use OTW would effectively kill most activity. If that is result you seek, why not just point a link to Slyde's The Real Off The Wall? This way, you can save your resources (digital and human) without completely killing the nice community space OTW has become.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, OH, USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
nyteryda wrote:
nyteryda wrote:
That wouldn't encourage us who have just lost our postcount to behave well, you might end up seeing a fair amount of postcount whoring in any post under the sun, and in every support thread, someone saying something that isn't really worth saying, or just "RTFM!" and crap like that. but hey, when my back is too the wall...

I hope he's joking to. This is getting ridiculous. What difference does postcount make anyway?

By the way, my postcount just went down to 722. I'm l33t again. :P
nyteryda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
nyteryda wrote:
nyteryda wrote:

Jokeing that depends on your definition, a satirical statement, weather i am saying i would do it, or that someone might do it are not the same things. I did not say anything about me doing anything (it may have crossed my mind, but then that is my mind and things crossing it is not a uncommon occurance)

But seriously think about the logic for a second, who care if a account with 17 posts in it, gets banned ? just create annother account.

Also it is very similar to the drinking laws in the UK causeing more trouble because they restrict the time you can drink which lead to the Binge Drinking Phenonium.

If you really want to talk to judge my mental state i advise you todo it on trotw, or at least on #otw, right now i am upset, and just waiting till i can start drinking vodka.

Last edited by nyteryda on Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: