Super small Live CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blixel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Super small Live CD Reply with quote

I would like to create a really small Live CD. My requirements are very basic. I just need a DHCP server and a TFTP server. (Later I may be interested in NFS and anonymous FTP. But starting out, I only require DHCP and TFTP.)

I took a look at the livecd-ng stuff but it seems outdated and useless. I searched the forms and there is a ton of information on the topic, but everyone seems to want to create their own Knoppix. That's 180 degrees in the other direction of what I want. I don't need or even want the relative bloat of X, portage, compilers, or anything else. I just want a bootable DHCP+TFTP server. I want to make a Live CD though so I can customize the servers how I need them. Specifically to include the necessary files for pxeboot.

I could probably almost get by with a floppy for all I need, but none of my computers have floppy drives any more.

Is there a relatively easy way to do this? Actually I don't care if it's "easy" ... I can follow documenation. So a better question, is there a good source of information for what I want to do?

I figured the gentoo Live CD would be the way to go but I'm open to anything.
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this guide, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837.
You can basically include whatever you want/don't want. There is also a guide in the gentoowiki for gentoo on a flash stick, might have some more info on what can be excluded from the cd..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: