Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pasketti
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that'll do anything.

Mine is a relatively new install, less than 3 weeks old. It's always had 2.6 and nptl on it, and has never had the nptlonly use flag set.

emerge -pv glibc
doesn't list an nptlonly flag in the list, either.

I also only have a /lib directory, and not a /lib/tls.

I tried going back to the 2.6.8.1 headers, but it still doesn't work. It's like there's some change that was made when upgrading to -r1 that needs to get unmade. I cleared out /var/tmp/portage, recompiled the kernel, and re-merged glibc, but nothing worked.

I'm not going to do the prelink thing because I don't think that will fix the root problem.

I think I'll sleep on it.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: A possible solution? Reply with quote

kmarasco wrote:
I looked at another thread regarding nptl and believe that I identified the problem and have a path to resolution.

In my case, I believe that I originally emerged nptl with the nptlonly use flag. During my most recent emerge, which included xorg, my use flags included nptl, but not nptlonly. Why does this screw things up?

I've got ntpl in my flags and before emerging I added ntplonly in as well.
stevyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with X not loading. I ran "prelink -afmR" and it works now. Not sure what happened or why it works, but it seems to be fine now.
kmarasco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pasketti wrote:
I'm not sure that'll do anything.
emerge -pv glibc
doesn't list an nptlonly flag in the list, either.

I also only have a /lib directory, and not a /lib/tls.

Well, you are correct. The nptlonly use flag is being ignored, and I believe that the nptl use flag is not being treated properly because I only get one version of glibc instead of the two that should be built if only the nptl use flag is in place.

A little bit more effort and then I'm sleeping on it too.
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Same error here... Reply with quote

Strange. Just converted my desktop over to nptl yesterday, no problems. But my laptop, well, I get this error.

* I don't use prelink, didn't emerge linux26-headers since October (2.6.8.1-r1), and didn't emerge Xorg-x11 (though I'm trying that now)
* Process:
- Turned on nptl USE flag
- emerge glibc fltk nvidia-glx && sync && sleep2 && reboot (desktop, works great)
- emerge glibc fltk && sync && sleep 2 && reboot (laptop, X dies, all other services work, no errors in messages or dmesg)

I noticed that the xorg-x11 build gives a "Previous xorg install detected". Does that mean it might not overwrite all library files (like the opengl files) when it is rebuilt? Should I emerge -C xorg-x11 and then emerge xorg-x11 to be sure that everything is made fresh? Also, my laptop uses the neomagic chipset, so hence no need for nvidia stuff as on the desktop. Thanks!
j79zlr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problems as everyone else, but my net access has also died. I can ping within my local network, but any web address fails. I believe this is bad since I wont be able to emerge sync when this gets fixed, just wondering if anyone else has this problem?

btw, I reemeged glibc after installing the new 2.6.8.1-r1 headers, but didn't have any problems. Then I reemerged with the userlocales flag and this began.
nein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried what the last post at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73326 suggests ? I haven't tried because that version of gcc-config is still not known by my rsync server altough I have seen it exists in the changelog at packages.gentoo.org http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/sys-devel/gcc-config/ChangeLog.
Incabulos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Odd behaviour.. Reply with quote

Had the same problem as many of the other people here - emerged the new headers ( linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1 ), rebuilt glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1 with nptl, and then Xorg would no longer start with that listed relocation error. A downgrade back to older headers linux26-headers-2.6.8.1 and another rebuild of glibc did not correct the problem, and at this time a rebuild of xorg-x11-6.8.0-r3 also failed with the compile errors listed earlier in the thread.

The fix listed a couple of posts up ( prelink -afmR ) worked, but with issues -

I had to emerge this ( dev-libs/elfutils also came along for the ride as a dependancy ), it seems it was never needed before.

Running the prelink command produced a number of errors, these mostly seemed to be on sun-jdk, xscreensaver, nvidia glx/kernel and vmware binaries & libraries, though they seem to all be working after some preliminary testing.

Switching between vterms via ctrtl-alt-f1/f2, etc does indeed seem slower.

This is more of a kludgy workaround than a fix.

The nptl flags for the glibc build also seem a bit inconsistent. In addition to using +nptl in make.conf ( this is listed in use.desc ) , another flag also is listed in use.local.desc, 'nptlonly', for glibc. Yet this flag is not shown as an available use-flag when running a 'emerge -pv glibc', perhaps it has sneakily been added to both rebuilds of the glibc ( before and after the linux26-headers was downgraded back to 2.6.8.1 ) whereas it was not included before now? I'm unsure whether it has been present and active in my glibc builds or not..

HTH.
jarealist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest from:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73326

to fix this:

"please emerge gcc-config-1.3.7-r5, run gcc-config for your target toolchain, unset GCC_SPECS in your env, and then source /etc/profile

that should do it"

I spent this morning restoring from backup and I'm not mentally ready enough to try this. Anybody else willing to give it a go and report back here if it works for them?
nein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally installed gcc-config version 1.3.7-5 and did what was suggested in bugs.gentoo but it made no difference.
Heurisko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A possible solution? Reply with quote

kmarasco wrote:
In my case, I believe that I originally emerged nptl with the nptlonly use flag. During my most recent emerge, which included xorg, my use flags included nptl, but not nptlonly. Why does this screw things up?

When you DO NOT indicate the nptlonly flag, two instances of glibc are built, one under /lib and one under /lib/tls, where the /lib/tls instance includes support for nptl. The instance under /lib does not include nptl support..

Thankfully, I'm pulling the
Code:
undefined reference to `__guard'
error while emerge glibc and not while doing emerge -e world.

While emerging glibc with nptl and nptlonly I got the above error twice last night. I noticed in the first posts in this tread that X was pulling the same complaint of not know what this __gaurd reference is. This makes me suspect the linux26-headers themselves. I have posted this suspicion to bug number 73326.

Looks like we'll just have to wait a little bit before it's pinpointed.
blotto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the same prob on 2 of my 3 machines both were updated to new headers and glibc recompiled

If I do an
Code:
emerge -Cp linux26-headers

Then both machines indicate that
linux26-headers-2.6.8.1 &
linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1
need to be unmerged

Ive cleaned out the headers and emerged 2.6.8.1 on one machine and the 2.6.8.1-r1 on the other,
Now emergeing glibc on both to see what happens ?
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm pissed off with Gentoo today. After upgrading glib to the latest stable for AMD64, portage totally fucks up and leaves me with a broken system which segfaulted on every program. Now I've fixed that (with some help from a friend with quickpkg), I see the error in this thread.

Looking at the bug which has been filied, it's been marked as 'resolved', after only two days. That's pathetic, and to be honest, simply not good enough. The prelink 'soultion' is a kludge at best, and certinally isn't a proper solution to the problem.

This bug has now crippled my system, and I have to waste a lot of disk space on prelinking, which I really don't like using... wonderfull

-Ribs.
jarealist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I didn't try it again with the proposed "fix". This is such a nasty bug maybe the 2.6.8.1-r1 headers should be hard masked again until it's worked out. Haven't seen anything like this for quite a while.
serge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

It does not come from linux26-headers-2.6.8.1 or 2.6.8.1-r1. I have installed a new system from scratch using linux-headers [linux-2.4] and i have the same problem.

Serge
krueger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serge wrote:
It does not come from linux26-headers-2.6.8.1 or 2.6.8.1-r1. I have installed a new system from scratch using linux-headers [linux-2.4] and i have the same problem.

Serge

Indeed correct sir, I had the old 2.4 headers also and the system was munged after (re-)emerging glibc. For me the solution was to use an older version of glibc. My current versions are as follows.

sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1 -build 0 kB
sys-libs/glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r2 -build -debug -erandom -hardened +nls +nptl -pic 0 kB

I even made the switch to nptl with no problems using this config.

Hope this helps someone out there. I know my plans of working at home got screwed today, but maybe that's God's revenge when planning to work on a Sunday :wink:
nein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to downgrade glibc but noticed that each version is installed in a different slot. I guess I will have to unmerge (after emerging the older version) the actual version I have installed.
Could somebody tell me if there is something to care about or the correct sequence for doing the glibc downgrade without completely breaking my system ?
youngl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krueger wrote:
serge wrote:

Serge

Indeed correct sir, I had the old 2.4 headers also and the system was munged after (re-)emerging glibc. For me the solution was to use an older version of glibc. My current versions are as follows.

sys-libs/glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r2 -build -debug -erandom -hardened +nls +nptl -pic 0 kB

I even made the switch to nptl with no problems using this config.

Hope this helps someone out there. I know my plans of working at home got screwed today, but maybe that's God's revenge when planning to work on a Sunday :wink:

On my system I have linux26-headers-2.6.8.1 (never upgraded to -r1).
I downgraded glibc to the above version, unmerged glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1, and it works now :) .

Thanx for the tip.
hybrid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some persons using the latest unstable glibc (which have the nptl_only use flag) are running fine with it
Pasketti
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krueger wrote:

This worked for me, too.

Re-merged linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1
Merged glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r2
Unmerged glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1

After that, X compiled and ran.

Am now in the middle of redoing the emerge -e world that was interrupted by the X compile blowing up the first time.

Thanks for the tip, Krueger!
element-82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
n00b to gentoo here, how do I get around the "masked" warnings when trying to downgrade glibc?

Code:
emerge =glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r2
Calculating dependencies   
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r2" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- sys-libs/glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r2 (masked by: profile, missing keyword)

So, I read the man page and looked at /usr/portage/profile/*.mask and it wasn't in there.

Man, after all the problems getting a stage1 on amd64, I (naively) figured, "well, might as well do an upgrade since that is the strength of gentoo". I did the same thing on a RH system over the redhat network a while back and got hosed as well. I should know better :idea:

Thanks,
Pb

Pasketti wrote:
krueger wrote:

This worked for me, too.

Re-merged linux26-headers-2.6.8.1-r1
Merged glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r2
Unmerged glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1

After that, X compiled and ran.

Am now in the middle of redoing the emerge -e world that was interrupted by the X compile blowing up the first time.

Thanks for the tip, Krueger!
Code:
 :idea:
cca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really weird what is happening. Last night I was able to make Xorg compile using the latest unstable glibc with the +nptlonly flag. But when I attempted to do the same on another PC I have gentoo installed into, I failed miserably. I 'm trying to downgrade to the glibc-2.3.3.20040420-r2 now since it seems to work for most people.
hjnenc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a workaround that brought back my X. Don't know yet if it breaks other things (use at your own risk). Its mentioned here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73326#c12
nein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerging the previous stable glibc also worked for me. In fact it is not necessary to unmerge the installed version.

Well, almost 2 days without X. The good side: did not work this weekend :D
jkt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nein wrote:
I was about to downgrade glibc but noticed that each version is installed in a different slot. I guess I will have to unmerge (after emerging the older version) the actual version I have installed.
Could somebody tell me if there is something to care about or the correct sequence for doing the glibc downgrade without completely breaking my system ?

don't downgrade glibc! applications linked against the new one will stop working after downgrade. there is/was some thread about it in the past, even marked sticky, I think...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: