Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can Portage Avoid Overwriting Object Files?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Can Portage Avoid Overwriting Object Files? Reply with quote

Code:

#man emerge

emerge normally cleans out  the  package-specific  temporary
build  directory  before  it  starts the building a package.

Is there a switch to turn this off temporarily? I was thinking about it when trying to get OO to compile and all the previously successfully built object files got overwritten.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can Portage Avoid Overwriting Object Files? Reply with quote

EzInKy wrote:
Code:
emerge normally cleans out  the  package-specific  temporary
build  directory  before  it  starts the building a package.

Is there a switch to turn this off temporarily? I was thinking about it when trying to get OO to compile and all the previously successfully built object files got overwritten.

I don't think turning it off would have the result you are hoping for. OO would still compile EVERYTHING... it wouldn't automatically skip to where it left off... if only...

You might want to check out ccache (there is a package in portage) and search for it on the forums. It caches compiled files so that if you try to compile them again with the same options you won't need to... so you sort of start where you left off... (what I think you're wanting)
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You might want to check out ccache (there is a package in portage) and search for it on the forums. It caches compiled files so that if you try to compile them again with the same options you won't need to... so you sort of start where you left off... (what I think you're wanting)

Thanks for the input!

I was thinking along the lines of letting make do it's job of only compiling files that have been affected by a change or not been compiled yet. I'll look into ccache again (read a little about it before), but with OO iftself needing a couple of gigs for just it's files I'm not sure the additional space of a cache would be a good solution for many people. I've got a 40gb drive dedicated to Gentoo, but there are probably those who are using somewhat less.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EzInKy wrote:
I was thinking along the lines of letting make do it's job of only compiling files that have been affected by a change or not been compiled yet. I'll look into ccache again (read a little about it before), but with OO iftself needing a couple of gigs for just it's files I'm not sure the additional space of a cache would be a good solution for many people. I've got a 40gb drive dedicated to Gentoo, but there are probably those who are using somewhat less.

Hmmm, does make do that sort of thing? Pick up where it left off like? I wasn't aware of that... I didn't say ccache was for everyone... but I've had great luck since I installed it a few weeks ago... nothing borked yet and recompiling from CVS is faster since a lot of files stay the same...
fuxored
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes make works off rules and targets. If a rule says it needs say, foo.o, to link with, make will look for a rule to make that object. If that object already exists, and none of the files that it made of are newer than the binary(?), it won't rebuild it.

That might not be 100% accurate, I'm just learning all the auto stuff my self. It should be at least on the right track though.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote of confidence for fuxored's post.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Vote of confidence for fuxored's post.

So what EzInKy was originally after could be a good thing for LARGE ebuilds that fail in the middle somwhere?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamer3 wrote:
So what EzInKy was originally after could be a good thing for LARGE ebuilds that fail in the middle somwhere?
It's hard to say. It sounds like EzInKy was having trouble with the OO compile breaking off in the middle. Under normal circumstances, that isn't supposed to happen. That's a bug. It's hard for me to justify pushing a new feature into Portage that is of use only for buggy ebuilds. Now there may be a case that you are trying to reuse object files from a previous build. ccache seems to be the solution that the Portage developers have chosen for this. It would be challenging to deal with the complications that might arise from having stale object files around, so the decision to wipe the build directories might make troubleshooting easier, by eliminating some sources of variation.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
It's hard to say. It sounds like EzInKy was having trouble with the OO compile breaking off in the middle. Under normal circumstances, that isn't supposed to happen. That's a bug. It's hard for me to justify pushing a new feature into Portage that is of use only for buggy ebuilds.

Infallible logic, as always. I will let the issue rest in my mind no longer and continue to be content with ccache...
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<quote>It's hard to say. It sounds like EzInKy was having trouble with the OO compile breaking off in the middle. Under normal circumstances, that isn't supposed to happen. That's a bug. It's hard for me to justify pushing a new feature into Portage that is of use only for buggy ebuilds.</quote>

Bugs happen...that is part of using any software. What makes using source so fantistic is it puts the power in the users hand to fix problems when they occur, and even report back to developers what they did to fix the problem. Would it really be that hard to code something like:

Code:

if (IF_DONT_ERASE_BUILD_DIRECTORY_FLAG_SET)
    Portage.DontEraseBuildDirectory();
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you changing USE variables or CFLAGS or something? If so, then the object files should be wiped out. If not, then you could always try this:
Code:
# cd /var/tmp/portage/<build-directory>
hack hack hack
# make
repeat previous two lines as necessary
# ebuild /path/to/ebuild install
# ebuild /path/to/ebuild qmerge

dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
hack hack hack

Code:
jgoebel@integrity jgoebel $ hack hack hack
-bash: hack: command not found

not working here ;-)
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
jgoebel@integrity jgoebel $ hack hack hack
-bash: hack: command not found

Quote:
not working here :wink:

:lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: