View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Which motherboard should I get??? Reply with quote

I am in a process of putting a list of things I need for my new system (AMD64 3500+ of course) and could use a little suggestions if you don't mind. I am looking at two motherboards:

1. ABIT AV8 VIA K8T800PRO CHIPSET SOCKET939 DDR400 AGP8X PLATFORM MOTHERBOARD W/ AUDIO, USB2.0, IEEE, & LAN

2. ASUS A8V DELUXE VIA K8T800PRO CHIPSET SOCKET939 DDR400 AGP8X PLATFORM MOTHERBOARD W/ AUDIO, USB2.0, IEEE, & LAN

Which one do you think I should get and why? The ASUS is $30 more then the ABIT... And while you're at it, I am also opened to suggestions on a case for it. :idea:

Thanks.

taurus
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: amd64 stuff Reply with quote

Hi taurus,

I am in the same boat, looking at which motherboard and stuff to get:

My experience with motherboards is that Asus has the best around, 3 year warranty on all of its parts. I have used a Soyo too and that was problematic, Asus working like a charm. For cases, I would probably go with some chieftec or antec case. Any case you get from them will be good. You could probably get all of your components at tigerdirect.com or newegg.com.

I am looking at an AMD64 3400+ socket 754 + Asus motherboard at tiger for 299 after rebates along with some chieftec case and ultra powersupply / memory. I will probably go with an nvidia card since I can get one there for 20 after rebate (5200 fx, not the greatest). The motherboard also supports raid I think, and that definitely improves performance greatly. I am thinking about getting (2) 200 GB disks to put in an array for speed, the drives are 50 each after rebate... 400 GB is a lot of data.

Walter
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walterw,

Funny that you mentioned about newegg because I have been looking at the cases that they carry and found a real "bad" (good!) one...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-089&depa=1

I will look at the ones you mentioned tomorrow since it's getting late here and I need to get up early. Will check back again to hear from others.

Thanks.

taurus
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ASUS K8V Deluxe and the board works great for me.
Everything is supported =)
Strowi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

funny, my old Mainboard died over the weekend. I just bought an Asus A8V Deluxe. Now i'm desperately waiting for it to arrive together with my 3000+ Winchester CPU.;)

PS: The old one was an A7V333 (Asus), which seemed to be a little ... weird... but that depended only on some older/newer-beta BIOSes.

Can't wait to start the installation all over again.*g*
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will go with the ASUS mobo then. Now, I need to look for a good case for it. :wink:

taurus
zinion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ASUS is a good choice, runs very nice here.
Strowi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

good luck with that, a new case is a hard choice.;)

I got mine from noise-control.de, about ~9 years ago, and i am still very happy with it. There's plenty of room even in those midi-xxl-towers.

I personally don't like those lian-li-towers. They are too expensive and look ugly (my opinion!).
E11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an abit AV8 k8t800, and it woks very good !

The abit is very good for overclock and bad for the material and programs ( for windows... ) while asus is bad for overclocking and beter for programs and material... Personnaly I have all I want and I think we don't need more ... Asus or abit, I thinks it's a question of choise...

And we say me too that via k8t800 is beter than the nforce3... I can't say if it's the reality but I have no problem with the via chipset !
LordArthas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

I have a Gigabyte K8NS Pro (nVIDIA nForce 3 chipset) which works very well.

The only problem I currently experience is with the integrated gigabit ethernet Marvell 8001 controller: it works but it is incredibily slow. If I surf the web I don't notice, but when I try to transfer files locally using Samba it's terribly slow and it often hangs. I had to install a PCI card, which I now use instead of the Marvell 8001. However, I think it might just be a driver problem which will disappear in future kernel releases (I use 2.6.9).

Anyhow, great mainboard!

Michele.
Akhouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being new to AMD64 I was a bit worried when I got my new Abit AV8 board with a AMD64 3500+ processor. I have to say though, I was pleasantly suprised by how easy the install was (and how lightning fast the compile was :) ). Works like a dream.

SPEC: AMD64 3500+, 2 Gb RAM DDR400, Abit AV8 3rd eye m/b, 2 x 160GB SATA drives.

Now I am happy :D

On windows you can overclock on the fly - can that be done on Linux ??
babo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recomend this one, although I haven't tested it yet :D
http://www.amdboard.com/tyan_s4880_opteron_board.html
myuser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASUS here and it works well.

As for the case I went with:

http://www.casetek.com.tw/super/ck-1019-2a.htm

It is a super tower, but I have larger towers than this one.

7 fans, (giving 14 fans in total on the box)

It is aluminium which also helps in heat dispation.

The side cover is a pain to slide off, but fits well when in place.

It is toolless which is good and bad, works well for the drives, but my coolermaster hd cooler and fan control juts out.

And the toolless bit for the cards has just been removed completely by me, it was driving me nuts.

The top usb, firewire, speaker and headphone ports are an excellent addition and make life a lot simpler.
awks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akhouk wrote:
Being new to AMD64 I was a bit worried when I got my new Abit AV8 board with a AMD64 3500+ processor. I have to say though, I was pleasantly suprised by how easy the install was (and how lightning fast the compile was :) ). Works like a dream.

I have this board too, it works well, but I have to complaint that uGuru chip hide the information about cpu temperature and voltages. The support for I2C "works", but it gives no correct information. The only way to get the cpu temperature and voltages is by bios or using a windows abit program. Neither acpi on linux could give me cpu temperature. I used to have these date on my gkrellm with my old abit NF7-S.
rshetye
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: AVOID Aopen, get GigaByte. Reply with quote

I had AOpen's AK86-L (based on Anandtech's recommendation) for over 6 months (married, working, can game/gentoo only over weekends :mrgreen:), and didn't realize that the motherboard was the one causing the problems. I thought the AK86-L MB was ok cos windows gaming did not crash the MB - and gaming does stress a MB pretty well. But what do you know!!! Every time I ran a long Gentoo compile, Gentoo would crash :evil:. Also, the power supply is very good, therefore I focussed on the Linux side of things rather than the MB h/w.

But a series of bad BIOSes by Aopen got me thinking again that maybe the MB is shitty hardware and the fact that windows gaming worked fine was just pure luck :!: .... so I spent a whole weekend ripping things out and putting them back in to confirm my suspicions and :idea: a bulb went off!!

F U C K Aopen :twisted:

Got me a GigaByte K8NS Pro. Its working very well. My cable download is 3.2 Mbps, no problems with the Marvell giga-eth adaptor (unlike earlier poster). Haven't tried it for 1000 Mbps though!:D

Gigabyte has 4 IDE ports i.e. 8 IDE devices, and 4 SATA ports i.e. 4 SATA devices. I got gigabyte for this reason. Still have to see if SATA works properly on this board. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

(Note for LordArthas: your thruput might be slow cos of harddisk speeds i.e. your connection is as slow as your slowest link. E.g. if you are writing gigabit ethernet stream to a hard disk, and your hard disk can do 30 MB/s {sustained?}, then that will throttle your gigabit stream thruput to 240 Mbps at the very best. Factor in HD latency, etc.)
mieses
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you plan to install 4GB or more of RAM then avoid the VIA chipsets.
LordArthas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: AVOID Aopen, get GigaByte. Reply with quote

Hi!

rshetye wrote:
(Note for LordArthas: your thruput might be slow cos of harddisk speeds i.e. your connection is as slow as your slowest link. E.g. if you are writing gigabit ethernet stream to a hard disk, and your hard disk can do 30 MB/s {sustained?}, then that will throttle your gigabit stream thruput to 240 Mbps at the very best. Factor in HD latency, etc.)

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I find it quite strange that with the PCI 100Mbit card I can achieve 100Mbit speed, while with the gigabit one I'm stuck at 2MBit or less... ?!?

Thanks, Michele.
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taurus wrote:
I think I will go with the ASUS mobo then. Now, I need to look for a good case for it. :wink:

taurus
I will get this one soon. Its a antec performance one p160 8) 8)
Strowi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurray,

my asus A8V arrived today.;)
Nice Board, only thing that i don't understand: Why did they put the IDE-Connectors beyound the ATX-Power-Connector, that gives me one big cable-knot.

I really got crazy when i saw the Bios... with animated menu-bar, and the boot screen had a much higher resolution than on my actual mobo (A7V333).

I'm just about to install gentoo-64bit.;)
Now i need to get to solve my bootstrapping error (damn gettext)..
SniperSlap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: My board Reply with quote

Recently purchased for the SOLE PURPOSE of a supercool, 64bit Linux box:

ABIT KV8 Pro Socket 754 motherboard
512MB Samsung chip PC3200
MSI GeForce FX5200 128MB
80GB WD IDE (8MB)

Cooler Master Cavalier (With fancy blue dial on the front) desktop (not tower) case.

Very sexy system. I plan on grabbing an LCD for the rig, and I'm totally in love. It's quiet, runs cool and I'm in the process of getting Gentoo on it. Very very sexy.

About the motherboard? Works like a charm, everything outta the box. I'm a big ASUS fan, but I've also come to enjoy ABit boards recently. You decide, it's all good.
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: new 64 bit gentoo box Reply with quote

Hi,

I am getting:

Asus A8V
AMD 64 3400+
(2) 160 GB WD harddrives, to be put in raid 0 or 0+1
(2) 17" CRT monitors
XFX 5200 FX
some other video card here
(3) 256 MB PC2700 DDR Ram

This should be fun to setup and get running, my first dual display and raid computer for personal use. I know the XFX video card is kinda weak, but it is competitive enough I think, I could have gotten several ATI radeon cards for 100, but ATI support is still questionable.

Walter
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: new 64 bit gentoo box Reply with quote

walterw wrote:

0+1 requires 4 drives minimum

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
Galahad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: new 64 bit gentoo box Reply with quote

walterw wrote:
Hi,

I am getting:

Asus A8V
AMD 64 3400+
(2) 17" CRT monitors
XFX 5200 FX
some other video card here
(3) 256 MB PC2700 DDR Ram

This should be fun to setup and get running, my first dual display and raid computer for personal use. I know the XFX video card is kinda weak, but it is competitive enough I think, I could have gotten several ATI radeon cards for 100, but ATI support is still questionable.

Walter

Isn't 3400+ for Socket 754?
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: puter Reply with quote

Hey guys,

The cpu I am getting is a 939.

Thanks for pointing that site out, I guess I will be doing striping, raid 0 as I have access to daily backups and the extra overhead from raid1 isn't worth the safety.

Walter
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the XFX GeForce FX5700LE 256MB be better than the 5200 one??? You can get it, FX5700LE, for less than $100. PM me if you want to know where to get that... :)

taurus
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: