reboot during compilation !!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharmaravi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: reboot during compilation !!! Reply with quote

People, please help me...

for the last two days, I have been trying to install gentoo (2004.3) on my spare partitions (sda6=/boot and sda7=/ ). I followed the gentoo installing handbook, but instead of live cd I am installing from my current working gentoo (2004.2).

I am not even able to go past bootstraping. I tried bootstrap.sh 2-3 times but my computer reboots sometime in the middle and I do not know where to look for the problem. I also tried doing "emerge gcc " after bootstraping failed 2-3 times. but that too rebooted my computer.

Can anyone one tell me where to look for the problem. If you need anymore info about my system and config let me know.
BTW I also used FEATURES=-sandbox and USE=multilib.

Ravi
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My first hunch is that you have a hardware problem. Prehaps cooling. Bootstrap and emerge in general can put the CPU, memory and various buses under huge strain for many hours. When under strain, many parts of any system will heat up. If you don't have adequate heating, your hardware may be overheating. After it happens, I suggest you check your BIOS. Most BIOSs' these days have a 'PC Health' option, which usually shows temperatures. High temperatures is a warning here.

Failing that, your PSU may not be up to the task. As well as generating a lot of heat, your system might take up more power (I say might, this is more a shot in the dark).

Hope this helps

-Ribs.
sharmaravi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay,

here are my comp specs

Asus k8vse (Bios Version 1003.02)
AMD Athlon64 3000+
Kingston 512MB Ram (listed on asus site as compatible)
WD 160GB Sata (using slot via_sata1)
350W power supply (some general brand)
Case with total 6 fans (4front, 1 side, 1 rear) they make a lot of noise.

Okay, this time when I did emere gcc, it went through. but that does not solve my problem. I know it will do the rebooting thing again when I start compiling more packages. Anyway, after emerge gcc, I reboot to check cpu temp in bios, it was 46 C. To test further, I booted in windows xp pro (as I can see cpu temp in there using an asus utility) and ran a numerical simulation which makes my system to use 450MB Ram and 100% cpu. Now, it's been more than 45 minutes of such continous load and my cpu temp is 49 C.
MoBo temp is 37 C, other details are as follows:

CPU Fan ~5578rpm (Retail box heatsink)
+12V -- 11.776V
+5v -- 4.999V
+3.3V -- 3.312V
VCore -- 1.486

I guess all this is normal

Any suggestions, why my systems reboots.
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shamarvi wrote:
350W power supply (some general brand)

I'd say this might be your problem.
Not only 350 is somewhat close to the edge of usability with your setup "general brand" PSU's usually have some problems when you need to use them full force.
Try getting another PSU (400, 450,+) and see if that was your problem.
--> Linux ### 2.6.11-ck2 #1 Sat Mar 12 20:21:30 WET 2005 i686 GNU/Linux <--
sharmaravi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSU seems to be the culprit but I have some questions. Why is it running fine in windows xp. Its been running for more than 4 hours continously with 100% cpu and 450MB cpu usage.

Also, at times it rebooted during emerge sync as well. That only lasts for few minutes max.
2crazy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you compile a lot under Windows? I guess not. As Ribs already mentioned, compiling a whole stystems puts a lot of stress on every part of your computer. Consider it a very thurough burn in test.

The last time this happened to me, one of the RAM modules was defective. I'd suggest, try using a different memory module first.

Cheers
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unlikley bad ram would cause a reboot like that, more likley a seg. fault with GCC

-Ribs.
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from experiencing something similar to this, check your file system (fsck it). Especially since it's rebooted while doing something active.

My situation: new laptop that turned out to be bad, started shuting off on it's own (then after the service tech reassembled it wrong typing on the keyboard would shut it off).

I discovered the issue trying to emerge evolution, which requires mozilla. Everytime I tried it, the box would hard lock.

Trying to clean up /var/tmp/portage would hard lock the machine in the mozilla directory. Booting off of live cd's and trying to do an 'rm -r' on it would reboot the box (printing a kernel panic) or hard lock the box (printing a kernel panic). Fsck'ing (after booting from a live cd) finally fixed the problem.

I'd very highly recommend booting off a live cd and fsck'ing your drives, at least as a sanity check to make sure there is no corruption. Even running a journaling file system (reiserfs) in my case is no help when the entire system is being yanked out like that.

Drumz
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: