smtp and stupid isps
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simcop2387
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: smtp and stupid isps Reply with quote

i've been wanting to setup an smtp server, but unfortunately my isp blocks port 25, :( and i was wondering if there was any other port that works for smtp, from what i know i dont think there is, and i'm pretty much screwed unless i can get someone to help me out and setup a mail forwarding solution but i dont want to go that route unless i have to. so does anyone have any ideas? and switching isps isn't an option unfortunately
simulacrum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could set up SMTP to listen on whatever port you want, but the connecting ISPs wouldn't know that, and therefore attempt 25. Sorry man, but it sounds to me like you're out of luck. If you own your own domain you could set up a custom MX record.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i've been wanting to setup an smtp server, but unfortunately my isp blocks port 25

8O What??! I say get a different ISP!

Do you mean they block (a) you trying to send outgoing stuff to other hosts on their SMTP ports or (b) they won't allow other hosts to connect to you on the SMTP port? If the answer is (a) then just configure your mail daemon to use a relay SMTP server (your ISP should provide one). If the answer is (b) then get a new ISP! Or just use fetchmail/POP3 or something.
simcop2387
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well since i seem to be out of luck with that, i've been thinking about using the mail services at www.cjb.net and then using fetch mail to take it off and setup some webmail accounts, pop service i'll work with later.
simcop2387
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simulacrum wrote:
If you own your own domain you could set up a custom MX record.

exactly what would this do and how might i go about setting it up?
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That won't help if your ISP blocks port 25.

You can register your domain name with many registrars, find them at http://www.icann.org. It will cost, but everybody today wants their own .com/.biz/.org/.net/.info/.name
simcop2387
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i thought, if my isp blocks port 25 theres no way to broadcast that i'm running it on a different port. i've found that http://www.no-ip.com has a mailserver redirection to you on anyport (probably just tcp forwarding) for $29.95
*cough* rip off *cough*

anyone know of anything similar for either a better price, or free wouldn't need a domain even, just a subdomain if possible?
Xor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have kind of DSL line... and I further assume that I costs next to nothing....

Your ISP is not as stupid as it might seem... It ensures that you don't host a 200 domains mailserver.... which is in the interesst of the ISP, go and buy a leased line and nobody filters your line

Further, your IP belongs to a "Dial-In & DSL Pool", the source of SPAM, so many ISP block IP-Ranges maked as those, your reverse entry might even include the words "client" "dhcp" "dsl" or the ip in form of "x-x-x-x" and this might be blocked too.

and to avoid one of this silly laws high might consider to block any inbound connections at all.....

get the fact: cheap dsl users are not meant to host their domain....
Delphiki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if they're accepting new users right now, I know they stopped for a while, but I believe dyndns.org does this for free.. I could be wrong though, as I haven't tried to use dyndns.org to perform this specific fuction.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: