View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Man sues doctor who left surgery for bank Reply with quote

Man sues doctor who left surgery for bank.

Sounds horrific until you get to the meat of the issue:
Quote:
MARC BREAKSTONE, ATTORNEY FOR ALGERI: Well, in Massachusetts, we have an antiquated law called the charitable immunity cap which limits damages to a charitable institution, like Mount Auburn Hospital, to $20,000.

And Dr. Arndt has $5 million of insurance coverage and really bears full responsibility for the damage done to Mr. Algeri, which is a significant permanent nerve injury.

CHUNG: So, what you've done is file that malpractice suit.

BREAKSTONE: Yes.

CHUNG: And what do you hope to get from that?

BREAKSTONE: Well, we hope to get answers for the bizarre behavior of this physician, who left his patient opened up with a 14-inch incision, under general anesthesia, while he went to the bank. And we hope to get full compensation for Mr. Algeri for his very significant permanent injuries.

Wow. A law is antiquated because it protects a charitable organization from money grubbing lawyers. Lets go after the much larger $5M insurance policy. Why not go after revoking the Dr's medical license? Naturally, its never about money though. I notice it isn't a lawsuit to cover costs of the 2nd surgery (inclusive of the first or not).

No, I do not wish spinal pain on anyone... well, almost noone.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's real it's bad enough, but with all those freakin law suits in America and the large amount claimed, I just don't believe the stories anymore, that this leads to the pains etc. Side note, seeing the photo convinced me that this man is in it for the money.

Cya lX.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of lawyers, I heard a really good Dennis Miller quote on the Tonight show wednesday night. It was something along the lines of:
Dennis Miller wrote:
We would get away with murder if we killed every lawyer in America. You know why? The courts would have to say there wasn't adequate representation for us at our trial.
ba-dum ching!
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl :lol:
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People like Algeri makes me sick.

Quote:

Charles Algeri, who was undergoing spinal fusion surgery, says he suffers severe pain because Dr. David C. Arndt abandoned him on the operating table with an open incision for half an hour while he went to cash a check.

IANAS, but I have a problem understanding how keeping the incision open an extra 30 minutes would contribute to this persons pain.
In my opinion, the pain is not in his body but in his wallet.

Erik
carlivar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of better examples of stupid lawsuits. Like the famous McDonald's hot coffee spill, or the man currently suing fast food companies for making him fat.

I think this guy has a case, actually. Not a $5M case, but a case.

Carl
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlivar wrote:
There are tons of better examples of stupid lawsuits. Like the famous McDonald's hot coffee spill, or the man currently suing fast food companies for making him fat.

Carl

Here the doctor wouldn't be able to pratice medicine anymore, and if there's medical evidence that the man has sustained any damage he would get compensation for it. What I'm saying is because of those stupid cases and the claim culture, you doubt if the motives of the persons sueing aren't based on the prospect of getting lots of money.

Cya lX.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
carlivar wrote:

Carl

Here the doctor wouldn't be able to pratice medicine anymore, and if there's medical evidence that the man has sustained any damage he would get compensation for it. What I'm saying is because of those stupid cases and the claim culture, you doubt if the motives of the persons sueing aren't based on the prospect of getting lots of money.

Cya lX.

Amen, IX!

Better to remove the license, give the person a compensation and be over with it. No need for any huge lawsuite, but as you said, that is the culture here.

Another example from the 80's, a man walked under some palmtrees on the street here in Florida, a coconut fell down and hit him. He sued the county and received $600000.

Erik
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
Another example from the 80's, a man walked under some palmtrees on the street here in Florida, a coconut fell down and hit him. He sued the county and received $600000.
Erik

Damn what are the changes of that happening, he better opted for a lottery ticket, then again $600000 how do the make up such figures, how does it relate to the injury c.q. damage done (mental / physical) etc. Let's say it's part of the American Dream, too become a very rich man in as little time as possible......

Cya lX.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
ebrostig wrote:
Erik

Damn what are the changes of that happening, he better opted for a lottery ticket, then again $600000 how do the make up such figures, how does it relate to the injury c.q. damage done (mental / physical) etc. Let's say it's part of the American Dream, too become a very rich man in as little time as possible......

Cya lX.

Damn, if I know :)
Sometimes I feel it is like: Think of a number between 1 and 9, then another between 5 and 9. Take the first number and add the second number of 0's after it. That's the amount we give you today! Tomorrow might have been different! :twisted:

Erik
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
lx wrote:
carlivar wrote:

Carl

Cya lX.

Amen, IX!

Better to remove the license, give the person a compensation and be over with it. No need for any huge lawsuite, but as you said, that is the culture here.

Erik

im gonna stand under some fucking trees soon
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... you could say it was self-defense.... :lol:

Tristam29 wrote:
Speaking of lawyers, I heard a really good Dennis Miller quote on the Tonight show wednesday night. It was something along the lines of:
Dennis Miller wrote:
We would get away with murder if we killed every lawyer in America. You know why? The courts would have to say there wasn't adequate representation for us at our trial.
ba-dum ching!
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
Let's say it's part of the American Dream, too become a very rich man in as little time as possible......

Cya lX.

You forgot the "with as little effort as possible" part. ;)
lemming
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife was on a jury.

This guy's car had been hit by a city bus. No driver in the bus, it had rolled out of it's yard.

So what does the guy do? (Not injured at this point)

He gets out to push his car out of the way. The bus had bounced back and then rolled into his car again. Causing a back sprain.

Apparently the big decision for the jury was how much $$$ to award the guy because he couldn't perform his husbandly duties anymore due to his injuries.... 8O
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got insurance for this and social security, besides it's clearly it's own fault so is he sueing himself? Although these stories are funny to read, I hope it never becomes reality here,....

Cya lX.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! WTF was this charlatan thinking??!!! You don't leave a patient in mid-operation even if bombs are dropping! However it seems like the lawyer is more interested in the $$$ than the actual problem. This law-suit galor over money is getting a bit too annoying... I mean the major issue would be revoking the surgeon's license, not how much money you get _after_ the damage is done with no care if such an incident happens again (or perhaps actually hoping for another such case just to drill more money in a sure victory given the precedent? :x )

Unless he _did_ leave him with his authorized assistant (also a licenced surgeon) and not just with nurses and aneasthisiologist. In that case the responsability for any post-operational complications is of the assistant's. But I guess that wouldn't make such a "big opportunity" for a law suit... They might even have no case at all. Human error within *very* tight limits and problems due to reasonably unexpected or incontrollable factors _are_ acceptable and it's all stated in the consensus form the patient knowledgably signs before the operation. There is no such thing as 100% success in medicine. Shit happens. What makes the difference is if that shit could be avoided and if the doctor actually provoked with his operations said shit.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I don't believe this guy at all that he has "compilications". He even admits he didn't even know about this until a month later. These sound like lawyer-manufactured injuries to me.

Granted, it was not good what happened to this guy, and he's certainly entitled to some slight compensation just for the negligence in endangering him, like maybe $5000 or so (assuming he wasn't really injured). But it's ridiculous that his lawyer thinks it's bad that they can't sue a charitable organization for all it's worth, thus destroying it for everyone, when they weren't even at fault at all! It was the doctor who was at fault!

I'd like to say that we could reform the legal system somehow so that people can't bring these kinds of lawsuits as easily, but I think that would just lead to people not being able to sue corporations who really are abusive, and I have no problem with massive verdicts against them. $5 million from a corporation is more just a way to make them pay attention to your grievance rather than what you actually deserve to receive, so I can understand that as reasonable if we agree the point of lawsuits is in the long run to reform someone's behavior.

What we need is more ethics from everyone in the legal system, and more informed juries. Lawyers should be subject to stiff sanctions if they are found to be lying or exaggerating evidence, as appears to be happening here. Any lawyer or judge found to be acting unethically should be thrown in jail with a minimum sentence. Judges and juries should have some minimum level of competency so that the majority of lawsuits get laughed out of court.

I support people's right to get compensation for real injuries, but only in reasonable amounts against individuals or charities. I think that law the lawyer bemoans sounds like a really good one. Maybe something like that should be put in place for malpractice suits too - I've heard that malpractice insurance is at least 20% of the high cost of health care these days, so these people are stealing from us all. Greed has to have consequences.
Gav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet when the hospital phoned up the conversation would have been something like:

Code:
Hi there, it's xxx from the hospital
Hi
Are you feeling okay after your recent operation?
Yeah sure - never been better
Well I have some news for you
Okay
The Surgeon left you for 30 mins while doing the operation
A man's entitled to a break
He went to the bank
Oh... Thanks
Bye
Bye

I get a lunchbreak where I could go out to pay in a cheque. Why can't a surgeon have a break? How long was the operation and how long had he been working? Okay, so leaving during sugeory isn't really on - but what if the bank was soon to close? And he had a big reason to goto the bank (eg his daughter needed the money to get home from abroad for thanksgiving). He would only have taken the chance with a patent who he felt wouldn't suffer from his actions. We need to hear the surgeons side in this.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gav: you can't have a break in mid-operation _unless_ there is another trained surgeon in there to take charge. I don't know what were the conditions in this specific case but let's say that nobody goes for surgeon teams with single surgeon anymore... Even if he started on his own if he had to leave he should have kissed some *sses to get a replacement. But to tell you the truth, I don't believe this guy and his lawsuit... it's too fishy.
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents:

Assumptions for this argument:
-The doctor in question was the only certified surgeon there. His absence left no one officially qualified to continue the operation.
-The circumstances regarding the absence are verifiably true (ie: the incision was made and not closed when the doc left).
-The man is verifiably in pain (ie: 2 opinions from 3rd party pain therapists)

Argument:
The man is entitled to $x because the doctor left the operating room for an unnecessary interruption. Necessary interruptions include, but are not limited to, power failures, another patient absolutely requires the attention of that specific surgeon and is in greater need than the patient presently being operated on, etc. Notice, these are quite a bit graver than "running to the bank."
Now, on to the dollar figure.... The doctor apparently has a $5mil insurance policy. Understandably, this ceiling figure is for gross malpractice resulting in death or significant permanent debilitating damage. Hence, the final payment should be significantly less than $5mil. BUT, it should not be as low as $5000 as some had suggested. This case is NOT about a self-contained accident (such as the palm tree example). It is about a doctor knowledgeably committing an act that could very well be detrimental to his patient's health.
In a time of outrageous judgements in stupid cases, this one actually has merit. I suggest awarding the patient anywhere between $100,000 and $500,000. Also, a delicensing of the doctor would not be out of the question.

Listen people, if you found out that your doctor had left for the bank WHILE he had an incision in your back performing SPINAL FUSION surgery, wouldn't you be pissed? If I had to undergo this surgery, I would hope that my doctor's entire consciousness was devoted to fixing my back.

Proper Web Development

I'm done at 999.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Listen people, if you found out that your doctor had left for the bank WHILE he had an incision in your back performing SPINAL FUSION surgery, wouldn't you be pissed?
Yes, I would. I would also want to know if the surgery could be done a second time by another doctor with differing results. This would be my primary concern before worrying about a lawsuit. The "Bank Dr" should pay for the first and second operations. If the second operation is successful, then compensation for the first should be minimal.

If the second operation doesn't solve the pain issue, or "fails to take" (as the first did), then I'd want quite a few opinions on the "why". Was the negligence of the "Bank Dr" likely to contribute to the problems, or would leaving for a 1/2 hour be more likely to cause an infection? What are the statistical chances of this operation being a success? Were there any unique characteristics regarding this patient and the potential success/failure of the operation?

I don't dispute that this individual has a case worth presenting. I do question the motives and valididty. I've known of an individual who won a lawsuit from an airline due to a back injury during a landing (not sure if it was considered a crash). In any case, the individual had irreperable damage that caused severe pain. Said person would have been more than happy to trade the cash for the pain.

For whatever reason, the first operation failed, and this individual is "in pain". Oddly enough, his energies seem to be focused on a lawsuit rather than attempting to resolve his pain issue.

carambola5 wrote:
I suggest awarding the patient anywhere between $100,000 and $500,000. Also, a delicensing of the doctor would not be out of the question.
If the Dr's actions truly are the cause, and a second operation will not remedy the pain, then I don't think $500K is nearly enough. Additionally, I would demand that the Dr's license to practice be the 1st requirement of any lawsuit.

I will mention that I question CNN's/Chung's presentation (of at least the excerpt I linked to) that seemingly ignores any possibility that the Dr's actions may not be relevant. No "expert" commentators on the general operation, etc.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
If the second operation doesn't solve the pain issue, or "fails to take" (as the first did), then I'd want quite a few opinions on the "why". Was the negligence of the "Bank Dr" likely to contribute to the problems, or would leaving for a 1/2 hour be more likely to cause an infection? What are the statistical chances of this operation being a success? Were there any unique characteristics regarding this patient and the potential success/failure of the operation?

In my opinion, you're missing the point here. You're looking at this lawsuit in the mindset that allows so many of these other "questionable" suits to occur. The question at hand is not whether the doctor's actions caused the pain. The question is that the doctor did something he knew was "not right." (I don't want to say wrong... it's in the gray area here)

With all the frivolous lawsuits, the focus is on the actual injury, real or fictitious. What should be examined is the actions that led to the problem. In this case, the doctor had an err in judgement that could have (with a little imagination) caused the death of the patient. The doc decided to take that risk, which I'm sure the patient had no say in it (being under anesthetic and all).

Summary: Lawsuits should be about ACTIONS!!! NOT CONSEQUENCES!!!

Proper Web Development

I'm done at 999.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carambola5 wrote:
kanuslupus wrote:

In my opinion, you're missing the point here. You're looking at this lawsuit in the mindset that allows so many of these other "questionable" suits to occur. The question at hand is not whether the doctor's actions caused the pain. The question is that the doctor did something he knew was "not right." (I don't want to say wrong... it's in the gray area here)

With all the frivolous lawsuits, the focus is on the actual injury, real or fictitious. What should be examined is the actions that led to the problem. In this case, the doctor had an err in judgement that could have (with a little imagination) caused the death of the patient. The doc decided to take that risk, which I'm sure the patient had no say in it (being under anesthetic and all).

Summary: Lawsuits should be about ACTIONS!!! NOT CONSEQUENCES!!!

I have to disagree. I think that lawsuits should completely be about consequences. If you weren't really injured by someone's actions in a meaningful way, you shouldn't have a case, even if they COULD have hurt you by doing that. I always thought the point of civil suits wasn't so much to punish someone for doing something so much as to compensate a victim for his actual loss. I'm with kanuslupus here: I think the doctor should do everything in his power to remedy the situation and pay for another surgery by another doctor, if that's an option. If he's unwilling to do that, then by all means he should be sued. If he does so AND it doesn't work AND it can be proven that the pain is a direct result of the doctor's actions AND the pain is severe enough that he can't work or something and is not just normal pain from his health problem or whatever, THEN he should consider a lawsuit, because he has actually lost quality of life. Otherwise he's just taking advantage because he can.

Another problem here is that the doctor isn't going to have any real consequences for this action. His insurance will just pay and he'll probably have his rates raised, but he won't have to pay that settlement himself. Everyone else who uses healthcare will though due to increased insurance costs. This guy isn't taking money from the doctor so much as he's taking it from everyone else who pays for health care. And I doubt that they could get the doctor's license revoked if there's no proof that what he did caused irreparable harm. There may be laws, etc shielding him from that, because there really has to be due to the industry of lawyers who do nothing but prey on the medical profession. ALL doctors get sued for malpractice, and most of the time it's not really legitimate. I know this because there are several people in my family who are doctors. People of weak ethics like to assign things of indeterminate cause to their doctor's actions just so they can steal money through a lawsuit. So the states have laws to protect doctors' ability to make a living from all the frivilous lawsuit filers. This is a case where people have ruined the whole situation for everyone who may have a legitimate complaint through their greed.

Mainly, my big problem with lawsuits is that people need to grow up and deal with some of the bad luck that life hands them. People make mistakes, including doctors. There would not be any doctors if anyone could get their license taken away for some dubious claim in a lawsuit. Our society would basically grind to a halt if people filed a suit every time they might have a chance at winning. Lawsuits should be reserved for extreme cases where all other options of working things out have been exhausted, and I don't think this guy has done that.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think the lawsuit should not only be about the consequences, it should be about getting his licensed revoked (prevention), cause I think everybody agrees that in some work situations you can't just walk out, break or not.

My problem is that the "punishment" is awarded to the injured (fictional or not) man. Seeing the amount of stupid lawsuits (not saying this is one of them), it should be clear that many are done for the money. If you would do this here (or let's say the hot coffee, that left no permanent damage) you would be held in contempt of court, well the case wouldn't even make get to court,..........
I also think that in most cases you need a jury for this to actually work, cause you can play on their emotions and their shock.......

Huge soms of money not equal to the damage done will result in a "claim"-culture c.q. industry. INAL but I suppose the fee is about 10% of the money awarded. So many people are visited after a injury and talked into a claim-suite.

What I wonder is how the man found out he was left for 30 minutes and if in the mean time he saw a doctor etc. to complain about the pain, or if it all just happened when he found out.....

Cya lX.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a different approach...

IF leaving this particular operation for 30 minutes, for ANY reason:
  • is not the cause of the "failure" of the surgery
  • is not the cause of the patients pain
I fail to see why the Dr. should be punished severely. A reprimand and possibly a fine and maybe "probation" if the Medical Community does that (seems like I've read they do).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: