View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 9i under Gentoo 1.4rc Reply with quote

This whole situation brings up several questions:

1. If gcc 3 breaks it under Linux, does the same issue exist under Solaris?

2. (Yes, I know Oracle does not now, past or future plan to support Gentoo, but this is a generalized question about Gentoo configurability). Since Gentoo builds everything from scratch when doing a stage 1 install, if after the emerge sync would it be possible to 'stick' it at gcc2.95? And I wonder what side affects this would have (we've had instances where some software has actually required gcc3 and would not compile under gcc2.95 - I wonder what packages/updates under Gentoo would have the same issue?)?

:?:

Drumz
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 9i under Gentoo 1.4rc Reply with quote

drumz wrote:
This whole situation brings up several questions:

1. If gcc 3 breaks it under Linux, does the same issue exist under Solaris?

No, Oracle under Solaris is not compiled with gcc (I take it you are referring to Sparc Solaris and not Intel Solaris?)

drumz wrote:
2. (Yes, I know Oracle does not now, past or future plan to support Gentoo, but this is a generalized question about Gentoo configurability). Since Gentoo builds everything from scratch when doing a stage 1 install, if after the emerge sync would it be possible to 'stick' it at gcc2.95? And I wonder what side affects this would have (we've had instances where some software has actually required gcc3 and would not compile under gcc2.95 - I wonder what packages/updates under Gentoo would have the same issue?)?

I'm not really sure I understand this question.
Do you mean that you want to run both gcc 3.x and 2.95 on the same system?

I have not done so, I'm not even sure if it is possible, I for sure would NOT mess up my system by trying. icc and gcc yes, but 2 versions of gcc, not sure.

Erik
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: oracle 9i and gentoo 1.4rc1 Reply with quote

Sorry, shoulda specified Sparc Solaris. That's a relief to know, before the SA decides to do me a favor and update the compiler to gcc 3 without telling me ;-)

For Gentoo, I didn't mean installing both gcc 2.95 and 3. What I meant was that (haven't verified this) that at some point during the install a version of gcc is downloaded and installed (I'm thinking after doing the 'emerge sync'). So what I'm thinking that could be done is after the 'emerge sync', editing a config file so that the version of the compiler that is downloaded and installed is stuck at 2.95, not 3 possibly solving the Oracle under Gentoo 1.4rc issue. This throws up several questions:

1. Can this be done? If so, how.
2. What side affects might there be? As stated in my previous post, we've come across one piece of software that specifically requires gcc 3. I wonder if there is anything in Gentoo 1.4 that might react badly to this.

Drumz
Sasun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: I have successfully installed and used Oracle 9.2 Reply with quote

on a gentoo.14_rc1 system:
Code:

ageorgiev@fs oracle $ epm -q glibc gcc
glibc-2.2.5-r7
gcc-3.2-r4
ageorgiev@fs oracle $ ps -ax | grep ora
 1639 ?        S      0:00 ora_pmon_data9i
 1641 ?        S      0:02 ora_dbw0_data9i
 1643 ?        S      0:06 ora_lgwr_data9i
 1645 ?        S      0:01 ora_ckpt_data9i
 1647 ?        S      0:35 ora_smon_data9i
 1649 ?        S      0:00 ora_reco_data9i
 1651 ?        S      0:00 ora_cjq0_data9i
 1653 ?        S      1:58 ora_qmn0_data9i
 1655 ?        S      0:02 ora_arc0_data9i
 1657 ?        S      0:00 ora_arc1_data9i
 1664 ?        S      0:00 /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit
13152 ttyp0    D      0:00 grep ora

It is working as a charm. During install I had only problems with the jre supplied by oracle - a missing symlink to the java binary, tath prevented successful start of dbca.

after upgrade to

Code:

ageorgiev@gentoo ageorgiev $ epm -q glibc gcc
glibc-2.3.1-r2
gcc-3.2.1

a startup nomount fails and oracle returns :
[code]
SQL> connect / as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> startup nomount // it will hung for a minute here!!!
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
SQL>
[code]

subsequent "startup nomount"
exits immidiatelly with error 01041 - cacnnot load hostdef extension.

As regarding gcc3.2.x and oracle binaries linking: "relink all" relinks successfully oracle binaries, exept the ones with scripts refering to "/bin/basename" explicetly, cos basename is under /usr/bin :))))))

Anyway, I think the problem here is glibc.

We must solve this issue. Otherwise alot of guys using gentoo in production, are going to return back to ... redhat for example. I do not want to go back there, so I am thinking of either making a chroototed jail for oracle, or moving to debian.
DamageCo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: I was successfull also... Reply with quote

I've exactly got the same problem. Since've upgrade to glic-2.3.1, no more Oracle 9 !!!

What is the right way to return to glibc-2.2.5 ? I've try to emerge the right version of glibc but after removing glibc-2.3.1 the system hang with error like this for every command "/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found".

Help !
Sasun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I was successfull also... Reply with quote

DamageCo wrote:
I've exactly got the same problem. Since've upgrade to glic-2.3.1, no more Oracle 9 !!!

What is the right way to return to glibc-2.2.5 ? I've try to emerge the right version of glibc but after removing glibc-2.3.1 the system hang with error like this for every command "/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found".

Help !

I had a backup, so I managed to restore to glibc-2.2.5.
Search the forums for "glibc downgrade", I am sure there is a howto - recently there were some problems with glibc-2.3.1 and alot of people ended with unuseable systems.

Or reinstall from scratch, but make sure to replace in /etc/make.profile/packages:

Code:

*>=sys-libs/glibc-2.2.5

with

Code:

*=sys-libs/glibc-2.2.5

to fix the glibc release,
allthough I am not sure about the exact install stage you should do that - maybe before envoking bootstrap.sh
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I have successfully installed and used Oracle 9.2 Reply with quote

Sasun wrote:
on a gentoo.14_rc1 system:
[
We must solve this issue. Otherwise alot of guys using gentoo in production, are going to return back to ... redhat for example. I do not want to go back there, so I am thinking of either making a chroototed jail for oracle, or moving to debian.

It is nothing to solve.
If you are planning on running Oracle in a production environment and are not using a certified platform, i.e RedHat AS 2.1 or SuSE SLES 7.1, the first answer from Oracle Support will be: "Sorry, you are on an unsupported platform, please move to a supported platform and reproduce the problem there. Tar closed."

For your own fun, go ahead and try to get it to work. There are issues regarding both the c-compiler and the glibc libraries that stops Oracle from running currently.

(I know this as I work for Oracle Support).

Erik
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oracle 9i and Gentoo 1.4rc Reply with quote

I did successfully downgrade my laptop's glibc. The steps that I did are as follows:

1. su'd to root
2. cd /usr/portage/..... to directory containing glibc ebuild scripts
3. emerge ./proper.ebuild.script
4. Once completed, I got the same errors about not finding libraries and couldn't launch a new shell, and most commands didn't work.
5. I then did the 'ldconfig' command.
6. I was then able to launch new shells and everything seemed to work fine
7. Took a chance, rebooted and everything was still fine.

I will say this: Be carefull messing around with glibc. It's a nifty way of quickly destorying an install.

Drumz
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oracle 9i, Gentoo 1.4rc and Redhat and Gcc Reply with quote

I have question. If this whole issue revolves around the version of gcc (pertaining to linking), then why does it work fine under Redhat 8 (yes I know it's not supported). Redhat 8 has gcc 3.2...... Now that I've had to revert back to Redhat for my laptop, it's running Oracle fine under Redhat 8.

Drumz
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oracle 9i, Gentoo 1.4rc and Redhat and Gcc Reply with quote

drumz wrote:
I have question. If this whole issue revolves around the version of gcc (pertaining to linking), then why does it work fine under Redhat 8 (yes I know it's not supported). Redhat 8 has gcc 3.2...... Now that I've had to revert back to Redhat for my laptop, it's running Oracle fine under Redhat 8.

Drumz

glibc no doubt.

Erik
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem has been identified and fixed.

Please see How to run Oracle 9.2 with glibc 2.3.1-r3 for detailed instructions on how to fix the problem.

Glibc was the problem :)

Erik
funeagle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After long searchings on the internet how to install oracle I'm trying to install Oracle9i Developer Suite Release 2 (9.0.2) first and then I'll try to install Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2.0.1.0)
(is this the way I'm supposed to do it anyway ?)

I've created two scripts to install the Developer Suite:

Code:

#! /bin/bash

# This is the root script

ln -s /usr/bin/sort /bin/sort
ln -s /usr/bin/basename /bin/basename

# Creating Oracle User Accounts
groupadd dba  # group of users to be granted with SYSDBA system privilege
groupadd oinstall     # group owner of Oracle files
useradd -c "Oracle software owner" -m -g oinstall -G dba,users,wheel,audio,video oracle
passwd oracle

cp install_oracle_oracle /home/oracle/

# Setting Shared Memory
echo `expr 1024 \* 1024 \* 1024` > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

# Creating Oracle Directories
mkdir /opt/oracle
mkdir /opt/oracle/product
mkdir /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0
chown -R oracle.oinstall /opt/oracle

mkdir /var/opt
mkdir /var/opt/oracle
chown oracle.dba /var/opt/oracle
chmod 755 /var/opt/oracle

# Setting Swap Space
cd /opt/oracle/
dd if=/dev/zero of=orclswap bs=1k count=900000
chmod 600 orclswap
mkswap orclswap
swapon orclswap

echo -e "\a"

#cd /home/oracle/
#su oracle
echo "Log on now as oracle"

Code:

#! /bin/bash

# This is the oracle user script

echo "# Oracle Environment" >> /home/oracle/.bashrc
echo "export ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle" >> /home/oracle/.bashrc
echo "export ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0" >> /home/oracle/.bashrc
echo "export ORACLE_SID=orcl" >> /home/oracle/.bashrc
echo "export ORACLE_TERM=xterm" >> /home/oracle/.bashrc
# export TNS_ADMIN= Set if sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora, etc. are not in
# $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
echo "export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN;" >> /home/oracle/.bashrc
echo "export ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data" >> /home/oracle/.bashrc
echo "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:/lib:/usr/lib" >> /home/oracle/.bashrc
echo "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib" >> /home/oracle/.bashrc
echo "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH" >> /home/oracle/.bashrc

# Set shell search paths
echo "export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin" >> /home/oracle/.bashrc

# Unpacking Downloaded Oracle9i Installation Files
mkdir DS
cd DS
cat /mnt/ntfs/Storage/CDs/Oracle/Linux/9.0.2iDS_LINUX.cpio | cpio -H odc -id
cd ..

mkdir AS
cd AS
dd if=/mnt/ntfs/Storage/CDs/Oracle/Linux/lnx_920_disk1.cpio.gz bs=10M | gzip -d | cpio -idmv
dd if=/mnt/ntfs/Storage/CDs/Oracle/Linux/lnx_920_disk2.cpio.gz bs=10M | gzip -d | cpio -idmv
dd if=/mnt/ntfs/Storage/CDs/Oracle/Linux/lnx_920_disk3.cpio.gz bs=10M | gzip -d | cpio -idmv
cd ..

echo -e "\a"
echo "restart shell! & run install"

After the installer pops up the ins_plsql.mk error I've edited the /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/bin/genclntsh and set LD_SELF_CONTAINED=""

I've run the script, it outputs something which I'm not sure if is an error or not:
Quote:

cp: cannot stat `/DISCARD/': No such file or directory
Created /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/libclntst9.a

Actually the `/DISCARD/' line is generated by the ./genclntst script called from genclntsh.

genclntst gets this object from /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/clntsh.map, genclntst pushes the `/DISCARD/' into the file clntst.lis where it is the first line, and all the other lines are paths to other (I think valid) objects.

Is this `/DISCARD/' an error or am I missing something ?

After this if I hit Retry it will still NOT work! :cry:

/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/install/make.log has an error at line ~ 170:
Code:

/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/libcore9.a(lnxmin.o)(.text+0x24b): In function `lnxmin':
: undefined reference to `__udivdi3'
/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/libcore9.a(lnxmin.o)(.text+0x266): In function `lnxmin':
: undefined reference to `__umoddi3'
cp: cannot stat `/DISCARD/': No such file or directory
Created /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/libclntst9.a
/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/bin/genagtsh /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/libagtsh.so 1.0
/usr/bin/make -f ins_plsql.mk install ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0
chmod 755 /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/bin
rm -f wrap
Linking wrap
gcc -o wrap -L/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/plsql/lib/ -L/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/  /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/plsql/lib/s0plsw.o -lpsa9 -lpls9  -lplp9 -lclntsh  `cat /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/ldflags`    -lnsslb9 -lncrypt9 -lnsgr9 -lnzjs9 -ln9 -lnl9 -lnro9 `cat /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/ldflags`    -lnsslb9 -lncrypt9 -lnsgr9 -lnzjs9 -ln9 -lnl9 -lclient9  -lvsn9 -lwtc9 -lcommon9 -lgeneric9 -lwtc9 -lmm -lnls9  -lcore9 -lnls9 -lcore9 -lnls9 -lxml9 -lcore9 -lunls9 `cat /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/ldflags`    -lnsslb9 -lncrypt9 -lnsgr9 -lnzjs9 -ln9 -lnl9 -lnro9 `cat /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/ldflags`    -lnsslb9 -lncrypt9 -lnsgr9 -lnzjs9 -ln9 -lnl9 -lclient9  -lvsn9 -lwtc9 -lcommon9 -lgeneric9  -ltrace9 -lnls9  -lcore9 -lnls9 -lcore9 -lnls9 -lxml9 -lcore9 -lunls9 -lclient9  -lvsn9 -lwtc9 -lcommon9 -lgeneric9 -lnls9  -lcore9 -lnls9 -lcore9 -lnls9 -lxml9 -lcore9 -lunls9   `cat /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/sysliblist` -ldl -lm  /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/libplc9.a -lpls9  -lclient9 -lnl9 -lnro9 -ln9 /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/rdbms/lib/kpudfo.o -lmm -ltrace9 -lgeneric9 -lcommon9 -lslax9   -lcore9 -lunls9 -lsnls9 -lnls9 -lcore9 -lsql9    `cat /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/sysliblist` -Wl,-rpath,/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib:/lib:/usr/lib -lm    `cat /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/sysliblist` -ldl -lm
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lclntsh
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [wrap] Error 1

Please help!
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Oracle 9i does install on Gentoo 1.4 Reply with quote

I didn't read every post in this thread, but I'd like to state as a fact, that oracle 9i 9.2.0.1.0 does install totally and completely under gentoo 1.4

1.4rc3 to be exact with gcc 3.2.3

I've been running the database stabily for over a month and have over the last weekend update it to 9.2.0.4.0

one thing to note: if you have less then a gigabyte of ram, you should probably serisouly think about another db solution. if you have less then a 1.5GHZ process, you should probably serisouly think about another db solution. oracle isn't designed to be installed on any machine by anyone. if you want to actually use the machine for other tasks while the db is running, you should probably serisouly think about another db solution.

it took me the best of a month to even get the installer to complete, let alone have a working stable db instance. i started on redhat a long time ago......

- the install can be done over VNC but local terminal connect is the best,
- X windows is required for installation but not for running the database
- correctly setting up a unique ORACLE user and group is MANDATORY
- correctly setting up the DBA group is MANDATORY
- you cannot "connect / as sysdba" unless you are in the dba group
- having a .bashrc script that sets your oracle ENV settings BEFORE
starting the install process can practically automate the process

example:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
export ORACLE_BASE=/oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/u01
export ORACLE_SID="u01"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
export DISPLAY=:0.0

export EDITOR=vi
export PS1='\[\033[01;34m\]\u\[\033[01;37m\] \[\033[00;37m\]\W\[\033[01;37m\] \$ \[\033[00m\]'

with a script like that, the oracle installer will pull the installation settings from those ENVs - LIFE == GOOD

- and for the love of everything holy, READ ORACLES DOCUMENTATION
- of course you can't read it all, they have tomes full of VERY USEFUL
information - but read the ENTIRE installation guide and then read the
ADMINISTRATION guide

it is possible to run oracle 9.2.0.4.0 on gentoo 1.4 with gcc 3.2.3-r1 and glibc 2.3.2-r1, i know because I run a system exactly like that. the oracle listener works, and it is possible to remotely use TOAD (if you don't know what it is an dyou use oracle, google it immediately, your life will improve), to manipulate the db, pro*c compiles and interacts with the db correctly.

Jon
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not be able to get Oracle Developer Suite to work under Gentoo.

The database should be fine, but there are a few areas, occi is one of them, that will not work.

I'm running 9.2.0.4 without a hitch.

(edit) If you like Toad (only on Windows) try: emerge tora

Erik
uberfoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote

I have successfully installed a fully working instance of Oracle 9i 9.2.0.4 Enterprise with the current stable versions of the usual suspects:

gcc 3.2.3
glibc 2.3.2
binutils 2.14.90.0.6

Java management utilities (dbca, et al), Label Security, interMedia, etc... it's all there and it all works.

see http://uberfoo.net/oracle_gentoo.jpeg

If interest is expressed I'll cook up some instructions for all (maybe even an ebuild?!). The only caveat is that you can only get 9.2.0.1 from OTN (http://otn.oracle.com) and I could only get everything to successfully link with the 9.2.0.4 patch set from MetaLink (Oracle support contract / partnership required).

Gentoo was the only distro that could steal me away from my Slackware and I can finally run it everywhere. I personally don't give a flying fignut about "Certified Platforms", I like my Gentoo and finally I can embrace it throughout my datacenter.

I do believe this recent progress (and a case of Bawls) has given me the juice for an all-nighter to get my Gentoo Oracle 9i RAC Firewire Cluster Development Environment OCFS EVMS2 Thingy up and running for tomorrows all-night code fest... Oh it is a glorious day... :D

Once again, let any other Gentooers out there desiring the bloated beauty of Oracle on their boxen make themselves heard and I shall find the time to document the hell that is Oracle.
rugueux6767
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: By me, cpio doesn't work ! Reply with quote

I've downloaded the archive twice, but when I run cpio, nothing happens ! I've tried to remerge cpio, but nothing happend !

Can so tell me what should I do ?
Thanks
incubator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm, wwell, perhaps you could tell them to reimplement the Oracle Navigator, I used it a lot in 8i, but didnt find it anymore in 9i. Shame though, was usefull to make new accounts.
Now I have no idea of how to make a new dba or any other user for that matter :/
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Success! Reply with quote

uberfoo wrote:

Gentoo was the only distro that could steal me away from my Slackware and I can finally run it everywhere. I personally don't give a flying fignut about "Certified Platforms", I like my Gentoo and finally I can embrace it throughout my datacenter.

I do believe this recent progress (and a case of Bawls) has given me the juice for an all-nighter to get my Gentoo Oracle 9i RAC Firewire Cluster Development Environment OCFS EVMS2 Thingy up and running for tomorrows all-night code fest... Oh it is a glorious day... :D

Once again, let any other Gentooers out there desiring the bloated beauty of Oracle on their boxen make themselves heard and I shall find the time to document the hell that is Oracle.

1. Never ever ever try to call Oracle Support if you have a problem with Oracle 9.2 on Gentoo. First answer will be: Please install Oracle on a supported platform and reproduce the problem.

2. There are several things that do NOT work under Gentoo when it comes to Oracle 9.2

3. RAC over Firewire is just for timkering and not for production. I also seriously doubt that you will get the cluster running.

incubator wrote:

uhm, wwell, perhaps you could tell them to reimplement the Oracle Navigator, I used it a lot in 8i, but didnt find it anymore in 9i. Shame though, was usefull to make new accounts.

What do you mean?? Oracle has never had a product called navigator as part of the database. If you are thinking about Oracle Enterprise Manager, then it is still there. Else why not do "emerge tora"?

Erik
incubator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about the windows version actually.
I hada copy of oracle 8i Personal edition wich had oracle 8i Navigator (to view tables, users , etc in an explorer style windows). Now I downloaded oracle 9i from oracle.com but i cant seem to find that navigator anymore :(
And I looked into this enterprise manager, but I cant really work with it, I keep clicking for ages looking for a way to add users but eventually end up closing it since I cant find it anymore.
And our teachers never told us of how to create users, dba's in the SQL*Plus terminal.
Too bad though that oracle 9i wont work in gentoo 1.4 :S
I found it an interesting concept since we're getting PL/SQL in oracle this year, and at home I try to avoid windows now. And since I saw a linux version of oracle it looked like a good idea :)

Oh well....will have to stick to mysql here then ....
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can run 9i under Gentoo but there are a couplke of things that will not work.

Also the navigator that you mentioned were only in the Personal Edition. I suggest that you use tora, it's a great tool and there is an ebuild for it.

Creating users in Oracle from SQL*Plus is easy;

Code:

$ sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

create user <name> identified by <password> default tablespace <ts-name> temporary tablespace <temp-name>;
grant connect, resource to <name>;

Erik
incubator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah thnx :)

but ehm, exactly what things wont work?
rugueux6767
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Does Enterprise manager works ? Reply with quote

I've still this problem with cpio... I've the latest archive from the oracle server.. but cpio do nothing..
Do you know what to do ebrotig ?
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what kind of a problem you have extracting the archive as it should be working smoothly.

Here is the instructions from otn.oracle.com:

Code:

Directions to extract the files
        1. Run "gunzip <filename>" on all the files.   Eg. lnx_920_disk1.cpio.gz
        2. Extract the cpio archives with the command "cpio -idmv < <filename>"   Eg. cpio -idmv <lnx_920_disk1.cpio
          Important Note: Some browsers will uncompress the files but leave the extension the same (gz) when downloading.  If the above steps do not work for you, try skipping step 1 and go directly to step 2 without changing the filename. Eg. "cpio -idmv <Linux9i_Disk1.cpio.gz"

Did you follow these instructions?

Erik
RikBlankestijn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for future reference by anyone, here is another thread that you might find usefull: Installing an Oracle database on my Gentoo machine. (Oracle9i Database 9.2.0.1.0)
andyfaeglasgow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, hope nobody minds a quick question.

Why should the gcc version affect an Oracle installation anyway? Surely it comes pre-compiled and would not need to use gcc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: