Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GCC 3.4.3 is upon us!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mieses
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Posts: 86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you select a profile with "gcc-config 1"? (number 1, not letter L)
None of your profiles have an * following them. My gcc-config shows that a profile has been selected:
Code:

# gcc-config -l
 * /usr/bin/gcc-config: Profile does not exist or invalid setting for /etc/env.d/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.4
[2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3 *
[3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardened
[4] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednopie
[5] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednossp


my gcc 3.4.3 seems to work perfectly but the "profile does not exist" error in gcc-config worries me. I'm not sure if this is important.. (i posted about this in the amd64 forum: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=257164)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 1078

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyepic wrote:
robmoss wrote:
Personally, after every update of a particularly important package (kernel headers, glibc, gcc, binutils, kernel etc. etc.) I do the following:

Code:
emerge -e system
emerge -e system
emerge -e world
emerge -e world



according to genlop -p, i'll have that completed just around the time gcc 4.0 goes stable. :(

and when gcc-4.0 will go stable??
i do agree with robmoss, one has to be cautious,
although robmoss's solution may seem extreme,
and i don't blame him for that, since he plays with nuke.
nevertheless, under most circumstances, problems
may be resolved by adopting his procedure, it's better
to be safe than sorry.
if you want to have more assurance that
all things are well, then robmoss's procedure is
the way to go.
hth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Posts: 1215

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mieses wrote:
Did you select a profile with "gcc-config 1"? (number 1, not letter L)
None of your profiles have an * following them. My gcc-config shows that a profile has been selected:
Code:

# gcc-config -l
 * /usr/bin/gcc-config: Profile does not exist or invalid setting for /etc/env.d/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.4
[2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3 *
[3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardened
[4] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednopie
[5] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednossp


my gcc 3.4.3 seems to work perfectly but the "profile does not exist" error in gcc-config worries me. I'm not sure if this is important.. (i posted about this in the amd64 forum: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=257164)

I get exactly the same message (on x86)...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mazumoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Apr 2004
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Kanotix / # gcc-config -l
 * /usr/bin/gcc-config: Profile does not exist or invalid setting for /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3
[1] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.4
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3 *
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardened
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednopie
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednossp


I get the same on x86. Don't think it's covered in this thread yet.
Well, I emerged gcc 3.4.3 during bootstrap which led to a failure when emerging libstdc++-v3. Then I did all the stuff from this thread (gcc-update i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3 etc), and now the compiler works, but I still got that Nonexistant Profile stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aesthesia
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Posts: 45
Location: chapel hill, nc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I selected the 3.4.3 profile with gcc-config, which is when the errors start. I can switch back to 3.3.4, but who wants a normal system? :roll:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leo Lausren
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 24 Feb 2004
Posts: 198
Location: Denmark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bootstrapped my system with march=prescott. There is no noticable difference to march=pentium4.
In the process I saw the Profile does not exist warning. It disappeared after
Code:
gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3
That is naming the profile explicitly instead of by number.
_________________
Blog: common sense – nonsense
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sam_i_am
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Posts: 125

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Could anyone comment on a possible timeframe for making gcc 3.4.3 stable? I have to upgrade to KDE 3.3.1 and wouldn't mind waiting another week or two if there is a possibility of recompiling it with gcc 3.4.3. If it looks like it won't be stable untill 2005, I'd go with KDE upgrade now and recompile everything with 3.4.3 once KDE 3.3.2 is available.

Sam
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Posts: 1215

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_i_am wrote:
Hello all,

Could anyone comment on a possible timeframe for making gcc 3.4.3 stable? I have to upgrade to KDE 3.3.1 and wouldn't mind waiting another week or two if there is a possibility of recompiling it with gcc 3.4.3. If it looks like it won't be stable untill 2005, I'd go with KDE upgrade now and recompile everything with 3.4.3 once KDE 3.3.2 is available.

Sam

It won't go stable in 2 weeks, so better to start compiling KDE :wink:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suicidal
l33t
l33t


Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Posts: 940
Location: /dev/null

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo Lausren wrote:
I just bootstrapped my system with march=prescott. There is no noticable difference to march=pentium4.
In the process I saw the Profile does not exist warning. It disappeared after
Code:
gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3
That is naming the profile explicitly instead of by number.


I still get it after:
Code:

emerge -e system
emerge -eD system
gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3
source /etc/profile
env-update
source /etc/profile
 * /usr/bin/gcc-config: Profile does not exist or invalid setting for /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.4
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3 *
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardened
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednopie
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednossp


Also I upgraded after building the system and not vis the chroot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mythos
l33t
l33t


Joined: 02 May 2004
Posts: 953
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well libstc++.la was looking for /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3.2

I have just make a link to 3.4.3

ln -s /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3.2
_________________
Best Regards,
Sérgio Henrique
Linux dune 3.0.6-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Oct 27 16:47:29 WEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aesthesia
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Posts: 45
Location: chapel hill, nc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get the Invalid profile warning after logging out and logging back in, and other than that I have tried all the other suggestions to no avail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chiwi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Posts: 135
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey im getting trouble trying to update gcc to 3.4.3

gcc-3.4.3 appears as masked so I did

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gcc

and emerged it along with libstd++ without problems.

but when i try to 'gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3' it says that it doesn't exist.

Code:

Chiwistock 3.4.3 # gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.4
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardened
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednopie
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-hardenednossp
Chiwistock 3.4.3 # gcc-config 2
 * /usr/bin/gcc-config: Profile does not exist!
Chiwistock 3.4.3 #


i've been reading through this post but i cant seem to find the solution...I've read that gcc 3.4.3 brings a lot of performance features, so i want to emerge world with it.

any help?

thanx in advance

Fede.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Posts: 1215

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody who are getting "invalid profile" messages and such, check this out: Bug #72557
It's not serious, and everything works as it should work (if that anoying message doesn't count) :wink:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chiwi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Posts: 135
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, thanx for replying!,

it worked for me. I finally switched profile, but...when i 'gcc-config -c' after i switched it say the same....cant find profile....is this safe?

thanx!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aesthesia
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Posts: 45
Location: chapel hill, nc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patch works great, however just a little protest: the bug wasnt entirely harmless. Before I patched gcc-config and switched the profile back I was unable to merge anything under that profile, as noted in a post on the previous page, both systems I tried this on seemed unable to find gcc.

However, after patching everything works great and I've made it through emerge -e system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nuzzy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 21 Jul 2003
Posts: 106
Location: NH, USA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oktane wrote:
Everybody who are getting "invalid profile" messages and such, check this out: Bug #72557
It's not serious, and everything works as it should work (if that anoying message doesn't count) :wink:


thanks...can someone tell me or point me a way to install the patch? :oops:
_________________
VMware Fusion on a Macbook Pro running Gentoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Posts: 889
Location: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think now if you do an:

Code:
emerge sync
emerge gcc-config


the patched gcc-config should be in the portage tree.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Posts: 1215

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:
I think now if you do an:

Code:
emerge sync
emerge gcc-config


the patched gcc-config should be in the portage tree.

Yes, both branches are updated (x86 and ~x86)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geki
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 May 2004
Posts: 2116
Location: Germania

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ irf2003
there is no way to get libsdl behave with >1006 glibc. It is not the kernel, neither C[XX]FLAGS. I also tried USE="-*" - no luck...

I digged it down to the glibc-cvs update from 1014 which you can find here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/glibc-cvs/2004-q4/msg00201.html

Also for any glibc guru, please have a look at my bugreport, thanks a lot.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72343
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rhill
Developer
Developer


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 1629
Location: sk.ca

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

irf2003 wrote:

and when gcc-4.0 will go stable??
i do agree with robmoss, one has to be cautious,
although robmoss's solution may seem extreme,
and i don't blame him for that, since he plays with nuke.
nevertheless, under most circumstances, problems
may be resolved by adopting his procedure, it's better
to be safe than sorry.
if you want to have more assurance that
all things are well, then robmoss's procedure is
the way to go.
hth



http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=joke
_________________
by design, by neglect
for a fact or just for effect
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geki
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 May 2004
Posts: 2116
Location: Germania

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, for anyone having that issue with libsdl and newer glibc's:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72343#c18 ( comment #18 )


finally! ^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 1078

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyepic wrote:
irf2003 wrote:

and when gcc-4.0 will go stable??
i do agree with robmoss, one has to be cautious,
although robmoss's solution may seem extreme,
and i don't blame him for that, since he plays with nuke.
nevertheless, under most circumstances, problems
may be resolved by adopting his procedure, it's better
to be safe than sorry.
if you want to have more assurance that
all things are well, then robmoss's procedure is
the way to go.
hth



http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=joke

hey, i'm not joking, are you??
happy joking
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 1078

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geki wrote:
ok, for anyone having that issue with libsdl and newer glibc's:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72343#c18 ( comment #18 )


finally! ^^

glad you got it sorted out.
i am still intriged though, and wonder why i don't have the
same issue, because we more or less have the same setup,
save for the USE and some compiler flags.
and another thing, there is no need to specify "-fforce-mem" in your compiler flags as "-O2" -> "-fforce-mem"
hth
happy gentooing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geki
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 May 2004
Posts: 2116
Location: Germania

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@irf2003 : I know but I like to force :P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mgmartin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: gcc-config using hardend specs on non-hardened configuration Reply with quote

I ran into a problem today related to the duplicate symbol / hardened problem with Xorg.

After searching and learning about the hardened flag, I was still confused why I was getting the duplicate symbol error when start X, because I've never added the hardened or pie flags to my USE flags, and I was using the default i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3 version in gcc-config.

I came across the /etc/env.d/gcc directory which stores the values used by gcc-config. Even though i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3 did not have the GCC_SPECS value at all in the file, GCC_SPECS was still being set by gcc-config ( 1.3.7-r4 ) to /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/hardenednossp.specs as shown by the environment and /etc/env.d/05gcc. gcc -v also showed it was reading in the hardened spec file, as it should since the env variable was set.

My solution was to add the line GCC_SPECS="" to /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3. Subsequent runs of gcc-config no longer set the value to a hardened spec.

emerge xorg-x11 and all was well again.

Hope this solution may help others.

I'm guessing there is either a problem with the spec files in 3.4.3 not setting GCC_SPECS correctly in the default spec or with gcc-config using a value from a different spec file if the value is undefined in the specified spec file.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum