56%  [ 37 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 66

jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Rolling Suspend 2 into main gentoo-sources [SOLVED!] Reply with quote

As a laptop user I rely on suspend v2 which is not in the main stream vanilla kernel yet. There are suspend sources which is gentoo-sources with suspend v2 added. Would it be possible to just have suspend v2 in gentoo sources and not have two separate versions. suspend-sources are alway behind gentoo-sources. Recently there was a problem with fbsplash not compiling in 2.6.19 that have been fixed in gentoo sources with the release of gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r1. Suspend-sources have not been fixed yet. Why is this not yet in the mainstream kernel and why not in gentoo-sources.

[SOLVED!] it sucks, use uswsusp

Last edited by jdmulloy on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.. absolutely no. That would be insanity given that suspend2 has zero chance of getting merged upstream for technical reasons. Such work MUST be done upstream, keeping a delta this massive would suck up developer time that could be spend on valuable things, it would also pose an addition risk just in the fact that you are including a shitload of code which has not undergone the same kind of security and stability vetting as the upstream code.
vonr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't uswsusp supposed to be the future anyway? It seems like dsd is already hard at work to get this into portage and genkernel (uswsusp that is).
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are they against it upstream. Is it just me or do the kernel developers hate everything that is not there own. There may be techincal reasons, but it works better than what's in the kernel now. They don't like reiser4 either. If we don't add it to gentoo-sources can alternate sources be treated better. Hibernation support is very important for laptop users.
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vonr wrote:
Isn't uswsusp supposed to be the future anyway? It seems like dsd is already hard at work to get this into portage and genkernel (uswsusp that is).

That looks interesting. Maybe I'll use that once there a howto and it's not too painful.
Teetante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
* sys-kernel/suspend2-sources
     Available versions: 
   (2.6.16-r8)   2.6.16-r8
   (2.6.16-r12)   (~)2.6.16-r12
   (2.6.17-r5)   (~)2.6.17-r5
   (2.6.17-r6)   (~)2.6.17-r6
   (2.6.18)   (~)2.6.18
   (2.6.18-r1)   (~)2.6.18-r1
   (2.6.19)   (~)2.6.19
     Homepage:            http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/genpatches http://www.suspend2.net
     Description:         Software Suspend 2 + Gentoo patchset sources

Suspend sources are actually what you want: Gentoo sources with suspend2 patch.
ICQ #81510866 - http://the-gay-bar.com - MSN tante@emptiness.de
Occam's Razor:
-"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."-
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teetante wrote:
Code:
* sys-kernel/suspend2-sources
     Available versions: 
   (2.6.16-r8)   2.6.16-r8
   (2.6.16-r12)   (~)2.6.16-r12
   (2.6.17-r5)   (~)2.6.17-r5
   (2.6.17-r6)   (~)2.6.17-r6
   (2.6.18)   (~)2.6.18
   (2.6.18-r1)   (~)2.6.18-r1
   (2.6.19)   (~)2.6.19
     Homepage:            http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/genpatches http://www.suspend2.net
     Description:         Software Suspend 2 + Gentoo patchset sources

Suspend sources are actually what you want: Gentoo sources with suspend2 patch.

Did you read my first post?

jdmulloy wrote:
As a laptop user I rely on suspend v2 which is not in the main stream vanilla kernel yet. There are suspend sources which is gentoo-sources with suspend v2 added. Would it be possible to just have suspend v2 in gentoo sources and not have two separate versions. suspend-sources are alway behind gentoo-sources. Recently there was a problem with fbsplash not compiling in 2.6.19 that have been fixed in gentoo sources with the release of gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r1. Suspend-sources have not been fixed yet. Why is this not yet in the mainstream kernel and why not in gentoo-sources.

I know about and use suspend2-sources. It's just that there always behind gentoo-sources. In this day and age being able to suspend and hibernate a laptop is considered a fundamental feature of an operating system.
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why suspend-sources are behind is probably that it takes time to get those patches working. That means that adding them to the main gentoo-sources would slow down the release of this one to the speed of suspend-sources.
Teetante
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:

Did you read my first post?

Sorry, only 4 hours sleep this night, I misread your post.
ICQ #81510866 - http://the-gay-bar.com - MSN tante@emptiness.de
Occam's Razor:
-"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."-
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
Why are they against it upstream. Is it just me or do the kernel developers hate everything that is not there own. There may be techincal reasons, but it works better than what's in the kernel now. They don't like reiser4 either. If we don't add it to gentoo-sources can alternate sources be treated better. Hibernation support is very important for laptop users.

I take it you ave not read the code, nor the many threads on LKML explaining this. It has to much stuff in kernel space that does not belong there, it's complicated and thus understood and understandable by only it's developer, a man who is not known to play well with others. If you are unwilling to change your design, fix your code and continually spend your time insulting people who have done so and try to help you, then your code does not get merged.

suspend2 will never get into the kernel, it was planned but the code was never corrected to conform to kernel standards nor did the fundamental design flaws get fixed. Instead a better, more correct approach is being implemented in the form of uswsup. Besides if suspend2 users spend half the time helping to fix the in kernel suspend code as they did bitching about suspend2 not being included without understanding the reasons nor understanding that it does not work for a great deal of people and replacing one solution that works for a number of people with a solution that works for another number of people is NOT PROGRESS.
dsd
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
That looks interesting. Maybe I'll use that once there a howto and it's not too painful.

already written ;)
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=156431#c3
vonr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there is a HOWTO available here; mind you though that it is written for openSUSE. The whole thing seems to be rather experimental at this stage, but that should improve over time since the kernel devs seem to be supporting it.

Thanks to dsd for providing a Gentoo implementation!
dsd
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suspend2 is a suspend-to-disk implementation, the discussion here is about suspend-to-disk

s2ram is different, it is a simple frontend to the in-kernel suspend-to-ram implementation
vonr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, of course. I got confused by the fact that both s2ram and s2disk belong to the same project :oops: .
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically no-one cares about laptops :D
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:

Not true.. Fedora cares a great deal, by the fact that it's the base for the OLPC OS - it has to have working suspend for a great deal of setups and freankly it does - my laptop now for the first time since I got in what 8 years ago suspends correctly under Linux.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Not true.. Fedora cares a great deal, by the fact that it's the base for the OLPC OS - it has to have working suspend for a great deal of setups and freankly it does - my laptop now for the first time since I got in what 8 years ago suspends correctly under Linux.
yeah but fedora is rubbish so what is the point? :?
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved!

A while ago I upgraded my system from 512MB to 1.5GB of RAM and suspend2 became slow as hell, as in 5+ min down and up.

I've moved over to gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r3 and I'm using uswsusp and it works like a charm. You guys were right suspend2 sucks. Apparently they're calling it tuxonice now but it still sucks. Now I know why I haven't gotten any new kernels lately, the name changed. Oh well, this way I'll get new kernels faster and uswsusp doesn't suck.

The only thin is that there is so much suspend2 documentation and very little for uswsusp. The docs that exist are good but there isn't a single comprehensive source or how-to. I'm going to write a guide soon and post it on the gentoo wiki.

I now have a setup that uses encrypted root, data and swap partitions and uswsusp. My initramfs is now built using the file list method. More details to come.

This is like devfs to udev, devfs seemed like a good solution but then udev came along and moved things to userspace and it's much better and more flexible. I love linux, especially Gentoo because I can design my own system and get it to work how I want with enough time and patience.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necromancer!

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
RoundsToZero
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
Solved!
A while ago I upgraded my system from 512MB to 1.5GB of RAM and suspend2 became slow as hell, as in 5+ min down and up.

I'm glad you got it working with something else, but I'm curious about this. I have 2 GB of RAM and it suspends in under 20 seconds and resumes even faster (I'm not including BIOS time, but still). Are you sure you have DMA on the disk your swap partition is on? It slowed down a little for me when I switched to encrypted swap, but nothing like five minutes.
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoundsToZero wrote:
jdmulloy wrote:
Solved!

I'm glad you got it working with something else, but I'm curious about this. I have 2 GB of RAM and it suspends in under 20 seconds and resumes even faster (I'm not including BIOS time, but still). Are you sure you have DMA on the disk your swap partition is on? It slowed down a little for me when I switched to encrypted swap, but nothing like five minutes.

Other things might have happened too. I do muck around with my systems a bit. Uswsusp is better because it works with the mainstream kernel which is very well tested and written and it also lets you get new kernels when everyone else does. My disk settings should be good, it's a SATA drive so everything should automatically be set correctly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: