Ready to quit...anybody help?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subliminal_boy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Ready to quit...anybody help? Reply with quote

Okay people, without going into the gory details, I'm at my wits end here.

I have a dual Opteron system on an MSI-9130 (K8T-Master2Far), 1GB of Corsair PC-3200 thoroughly Memtested, 2 Seagate 120GB SATA drives on the Via SATA controller, 4x250GB Western Digital SATA drives on an Adaptec RAID controller.

I can't get a working system to save my life, and I've been doing both Linux generally and Gentoo specifically for awhile. My firewall box and two other servers at the clinic run Gentoo, and have basically since Gentoo has existed in any type of mainstream form.

This is my first AMD64 install. All I'm after is a gargantuan Zoneminder box. I've read the technotes. I've scoured the forums. I've followed the install guides to a T. I can do no more. I've tried multiple livecd's (2004.1 boots okay, 2004.2 does not). I've compiled multiple kernels using every option imaginable. The hardware is tested and good, alas I cannot get a good working installation to put Zoneminder on.

...but.

But I'm sure I'm missing something. Somebody, for the love of Gentoo, please help me out here. Surely some brother or sister can help ease my pain. I don't really want Fedora Core 2, but it may be all that I have. Is there some obvious resource that I've missed in peering through the tears?
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specific errors would be helpful. :wink: Then we can hopefully see what's going wrong, and how you could fix it.
isolationism
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like some pretty slick hardware, and no mistake. I don't see any reason why the 2004.2 liveCD wouldn't boot though if the first one does -- any possibility the CD might be corrupt? Can you boot another machine with it? Do you still have the ISO and can run an MD5 against it?

Sorry if my suggestion sucks. I'm not a Gentoo expert but I figured it wouldn't hurt to check.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand, if LiveCD 2004.1 works, go with it. emerge will bring you up to date anyway.

What kind of problem do you have after that ? not able to build kernel ? I know genkernel is not necessary optimum but you can use it as a start.

otherwise, well - if you read all the forums - you know that giving error details help us to help you 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: