Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Will the XFree86 Config file port from RH to Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanOchoa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Will the XFree86 Config file port from RH to Gentoo? Reply with quote

I was wondering. My Diamond Stealth III S540 S3 Savage4 Pro+ 32 MB video card and my micron monitor are recognized by RH7.2, in some manner and it is configured well to run X windows.

Would the xf86config file created by RH7.2 be the same for the gentoo system? And would it work automatically if I just copied the file over?

The reason why I am asking is cuz I was having a lot of trouble with the correct configuration to get the X windows server running under gentoo.
If you haven't noticed, the idea behind computers has gotten way out of hand. One has to realize that they were created in the firt place to make life easier... if they aren't, then there is something that needs to change.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Will the XFree86 Config file port from RH to Gentoo? Reply with quote

SeanOchoa wrote:
Would the xf86config file created by RH7.2 be the same for the gentoo system? And would it work automatically if I just copied the file over?

It may not work out of the box, depending on where Redhat stores fonts and stuff in relation to Gentoo. However, it's certainly worth referencing.

The best idea might be to print out the RH XFree86 config file and use that as a reference file when configuring your Gentoo XFree86 config file. Things like monitor settings and vid. card settings should be the same, assuming you have the same drivers, etc. in Gentoo as you had in redhat.

Just make backups of each file before you start messing with things. That way, you can always restore it back to a working state.

--kurt
SeanOchoa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats kewl. I was thinking along those lines, but required confirmation before proceeding.

I was also wondering, how I should go about partitioning my hd when I installed RH 7.3 on ALL of it. Basically in the RH installation, it formatted all of the hd, so the hd is blank except for RH. I need to repartition for RH and gentoo to co-exist. is this possible without reinstalling RH again?
If you haven't noticed, the idea behind computers has gotten way out of hand. One has to realize that they were created in the firt place to make life easier... if they aren't, then there is something that needs to change.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanOchoa wrote:
I need to repartition for RH and gentoo to co-exist. is this possible without reinstalling RH again?

Yes, but it's not terribly easy to do. You need to shrink your partition(s) using a tool like Partition Magic (costs money) or GNU Parted (Free).

One thing to watch out for -- make sure that whatever repartitioning tool you choose will work with the type of file system you're using in your RH install.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: