Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Support UPDATED DEC31/06!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnEptUne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otherside wrote:
Does anyone else have problems with sound? I had and setting SoundBufferSize to "232" caused delays in the sound and that wasn't nice anymore (I begin to cast a spell, a second later I hear the sound :? )

So.. I hacked dsound and the winealsa driver and it works perfectly, no buffer underruns, sound is nice and smooth. The downside is that if you apply this patch, you most probably won't be able to play any other game since there are a lot WoW-specific hacks., buy hey, why should anyone play another game, right? 8)

here is the patch: http://dbservice.com/ftpdir/tom/dsound-alsa.patch

Anyone still have the patch? The website has been down for who knows how long, and Wow still doesn't do hardware mixing as of today (wine-1.1.24).

Thanks.
athlon17
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone else had trouble mounting the Lich King DVD on their system? Even with UDF built-in my kernel, it tells me there's no UDF partion found. is it because it's a dual layer DVD?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

athlon17 wrote:
has anyone else had trouble mounting the Lich King DVD on their system? Even with UDF built-in my kernel, it tells me there's no UDF partion found. is it because it's a dual layer DVD?

I thought it was an iso9660, and you need the 'unhide' option to see all the files on the DVD (see about 2 pages back).

Fortunately my RHD3650 started working again. Actually got a few daily quests done so it's stable enough to do them...

On the other hand... anyone running WoW under wine with 1GB of RAM?

I found out my 2GB system running WoW was swapping. Sometimes its performance was worse than Windows - with 1GB of RAM!
Something wrong here...
confidenceb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I am running the latest of everything in gentoo. I have recently reloaded my machine. Last year when I ran wine with wow in windowed mode I had no problem at all. Now, I get 100% cpu usage with X and my redraw on browsers, terminal or anything else is horrible. It takes about 10 seconds to switch desktops. Wow runs fine, but my X environment is horrible. Has anyone else experienced this? See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5062208.html#5062208 for my configurations and such.

Thanks
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another weirdness that maybe someone has noticed with Xorg 1.6 or perhaps wine 1.1.30+ --
I noticed that my keyboard repeat in WoW goes bonkers. Before Xorg 1.6, key repeat turned on (xset r on) doesn't affect the game. In recent times with Xorg 1.6, you can see your character stuttering as you hold the arrow keys to move. Of course mouse move is fine, but this was weird... Anyone notice this?

If I xset r off, turning off key repeat, it works fine again. Unfortunately I don't really want to keep on switching key repeat as I swap windows.

Another annoyance I've seen recently that I'm not sure if it's a window manager issue - is that sometimes if I switch away from the WoW window, I have a hard time refocusing it... I'm using fvwm2...
abuasabu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
... In recent times with Xorg 1.6, you can see your character stuttering as you hold the arrow keys to move. Of course mouse move is fine, but this was weird... Anyone notice this?...

Just for info... I have the same issue, since updated my system. I tought it was KDE4.3 but after your post, it seems Xorg 1.6 is the source of this. Not that big problem tough.. If direction changed, the character runs normal for a while.

The other problem is Wine... Use flag jpeg is dissabled, so the Launcher.exe does not work... Oh well... Wow.exe is to run...
wolfieh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same problem here, had to go back to Xorg 1.5 to fix it
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhoh. WoW 3.3 (Fall of the Lich King) patch breaks raw Wine (1.1.33)... Runtime error with C++ libraries...

(reproduction: run WoW after today's patch, try logging in. Bombs when you click login button. Works fine on my XP install.)

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=21627394934&sid=1

Hmm... winetricks... Winetricks downloads and executes:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/B/B/6BB661D6-A8AE-4819-B79F-236472F6070C/vcredist_x86.exe

which will update wine's c++ libraries. I think this is still a wine "bug," rather, MS changing the API to address a bug...

And the final update: Login now works fine and was able to play the new instances until the server decided to bomb us out... Killed Malygos, got weekly quest done, and got achievement on my mage, finally...
wolfieh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorg 1.6.5 still has the autorepeat problem
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some links about the autorepeat issue on other sites...

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=772465;list=16;ticket_level=0 - Codeweavers complaint
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1146254 - An ubuntu fix
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18296 - Wine disavowing all blame
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22515 - Supposedly X.org solving the issue...
bendeguz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone playing this game with geforce4 mx 420 card these days?
I have ~7 fps in forests for example. I have a radeon card, but the driver is not suitable for gaming.
The card is configured properly, nexuiz and warsow are working fine.

I'm using 1.6.5-r1 xorg server and the nvidia driver.
TheLazy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed weirdness with the latest WINE?
Lately I get random points where the game turns into a slide show, and on the off chance it returns to normal it won't let me type anything.

Usually I have to kill wow and log in again, dead of course.
There seem to be graphical issues as well but I'm not sure if that's the card dying or not.

[Edit]
I'm going to go back to the stable version and see, but I was curious if this happens to anyone else.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a GeForce4 MX420 a long time ago in Wine, and probably unacceptable in speed with WotLK. It was pretty bad in BC as well, I even had a GMA X3000 beating it in fps. The GF4MX420 fried unfortunately. (speaking of which, I even had a Radeon HD 3650 fry too... talk about video card cooking...)

I'm currently running Wine-1.2. It seems to be working fine without graphics issues on a Radeon HD 5770 with fglrx ati-drivers 10.9. Also with xorg-server 1.7.7 which the autorepeat is fixed. However it's not perfect, once in a while WoW would crash indicating a OOM condition (ran out of single process address space?). Not sure if it's a WoW or Wine memory leak...

Update: Cataclysm 4.0.3a works, but still get a lot of random OOM crashes that's mitigated by quitting out of the client and restarting; seems the longer the game has been logged in, the more likely the bug gets triggered. Still seems like a leak.
J3N7iL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Update: Cataclysm 4.0.3a works, but still get a lot of random OOM crashes that's mitigated by quitting out of the client and restarting; seems the longer the game has been logged in, the more likely the bug gets triggered. Still seems like a leak.

I have noticed that the patches get down loaded while I am in game, and as things were downloading I had received similar errors, but now the game runs smooth without any issues.

The only issue I have and it is not a bug is that opengl cannot display fancy water. . . . I'll keep wishing for it.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for fancy graphics, at one point I saw fancy shadows but with the RadeonHD3650 and catalyst, but looks like that's no longer available either.

But it's OK, as long as I see the void zones, can tell what spells are what, and it doesn't crash...

(The faster opengl cursor was a blessing in 4.0.3a, I can actually notice the cursor moving a bit less sluggishly. But unfortunately even with OpenGL HW cursor support I still "lose" my mouse cursor, making it hard to click on mobs. I guess it also might not be a good idea to play on a multihead or synergy system as that's yet another place the mouse cursor could be... though I don't think it was the case for me...

Speaking of which, I wonder if there's an X11 crosshair hack to point where your cursor is...)
Qvis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf i got this error....

http://img2.imagetwist.com/i/00140/ux1wzc3fgc0x.JPG
J3N7iL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qvis wrote:
wtf i got this error....

http://img2.imagetwist.com/i/00140/ux1wzc3fgc0x.JPG

I can't see your error, unless the missing image error is the error . . .

Ah my bad I see the SS.

This is not an uncommon error, chances are either one of your addons is acting up or you need to run the repair.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a curiosity for memory leak detection, how much RAM do peoples' Wow.exe consume in RAM?

I'm seeing image sizes start around 300MB and one time I caught it at 1.8GB in 'top' (the RES column). The VIRT column always is very high but that's OK.

At 1.8GB RES it's getting close to the danger point...

I have 64G PAE enabled on this 32-bit Linux install with 4GB physical RAM. Since Wine/WoW is a 32-bit app, it can't take advantage of more than 4GB space anyway, but also need to keep in mind OS/Wine mapped areas...

I still see it going OOM... annoying when it OOMs when queued for instances :(
J3N7iL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
As a curiosity for memory leak detection, how much RAM do peoples' Wow.exe consume in RAM?

I'm seeing image sizes start around 300MB and one time I caught it at 1.8GB in 'top' (the RES column). The VIRT column always is very high but that's OK.

At 1.8GB RES it's getting close to the danger point...

I have 64G PAE enabled on this 32-bit Linux install with 4GB physical RAM. Since Wine/WoW is a 32-bit app, it can't take advantage of more than 4GB space anyway, but also need to keep in mind OS/Wine mapped areas...

I still see it going OOM... annoying when it OOMs when queued for instances :(

Post what you are seeing, if you are only looking at the free -m, that is not accurate. But regardless, Wow will and should use up as much ram and CPU time as possible, a game running is designed to do that since at that time, you want the best performance possible, and should not be using the system for anything else.

There is really no "Danger Point" you paid for 4 gigs of ram, you should use all of it when needed. Linux is smart enough to make compensations for the system when needed.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU    TIME+  P SWAP COMMAND         
18732 wow       20   0 2284m 1.1g  41m R  114  43:00.49 3 1.1g Wow.exe         
                             ^^^^ THIS NUMBER IS INCREASING, which is BAD

Once that number plus kernel space is over 4GB, no matter how much RAM you have - even if I had all 64GB which is impossible on my M/B, that process will get OOM killed - it ran out of 32-bit address space. All due to a memory leak :(

I suppose this number would be kernel+Resident+MMIO space for a non PAE64G kernel (i.e., PAE4G or Standard).

Looks like Windows may have similar issues, methinks it's a WoW bug of sorts... http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1118362581#18 I wonder if the "LAA" patch works with wine, LAA probably just enables Windows PAE...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a quick bash script to warn me when it's close to running out of memory:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
declare -i mu mlim last cthres;
cthres=1500
mlim=$cthres
mu=0
last=-1
while true; do
mu=`ps xau|grep -i wow.exe|grep -v grep|awk '{print $6}'`
mu=$mu/1024
if [ $mu -lt 400 ]; then
mlim=$cthres
fi
if [ $last -ne $mu ]; then
echo `date`: memory used: $mu MB, limit of $mlim
fi
if [ $mu -gt $mlim ] ; then
xmessage -buttons "Ignore:1,Delay:2,Quit:3" "
WARNING: WoW is using $mu MB memory

"
case $? in
(1) ;;
(2) mlim=$mlim+50; echo Set limit to $mlim ;;
(3) exit 1;;
esac
fi
sleep 30
last=$mu
done

I just run it in a new xterm to the side and it will xmessage a popup when it's about to run out of RAM. First warning comes when it hits ~ 1.5GB. You can ignore, stop the script, or add another 50MB to the limit and let it go further (Delay). It's probably OK to click on 'Delay' about 6 or so times before the WoW client will OOM, which is about but not certain around 1.9GB. This will tell me when I need to restart the client or risk having to crash at an inopportune time.

Also note: I've found it takes about 4-5 hours of instancing and running around the major cities/hubs (like TB) to run out of address space. And again I think this is a WoW/Blizzard client memory leak versus a Wine or X11/FGLRX memory leak.
h2sammo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have problems with installing fresh wine (cataclysm) from blizzard downloader (WoW-4.0.0-WOW-enUS-Installer.exe) with wine-1.2.1. the process stops when the blue bar reaches the "Downloading" mark and does not progress.

has anyone gotten this to work? are there mods i have to do to wine for this to work? the wineDB does not mention any.
Code:

bobby@localhost ~ $ emerge -pv wine

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] app-emulation/wine-1.2.1  USE="X alsa cups dbus gecko jpeg lcms ldap mp3 ncurses opengl oss perl png ssl threads truetype win32 xml -capi -custom-cflags (-esd) -fontconfig -gnutls -gphoto2 -gsm (-hal) -jack -nas -openal -pulseaudio -samba -scanner -test -win64 -xcomposite -xinerama" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downloader seems to work for me. Do you know if networking works OK through wine? Also the usual blocked ports on the router, etc.?

I also note that WoW will use upnp to tunnel a hole from the router to the machine to facilitate bittorrent downloads. Without this it can sometimes take a while before downloads start.

Another possibility is having to use winetricks to get a later vc++ runtime or the wininet DLL. I don't remember which are needed any more...
h2sammo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the link of the downloader you used and what winetricks dll, etc do you have enabled? i forwarded the necessary ports. right now i tried installinf wowtrial from winetricks in portage and i have the same problem...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winetricks is in portage now: app-emulation/winetricks

IIRC it's just winetricks ["module" you want to "trick"]

One thing that would be useful is the last few error lines dumped out when you run wine wow.exe ... might give some clues why it got stuck.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 27 of 30

Jump to: