usb keyboard woes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tortoise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: usb keyboard woes Reply with quote

I can't get my usb keyboard to work. When originally installing my 1.4 system, I used a ps/2 keyboard. When compiling the kernel I selected most usb related things as modules, and being fairly familiar with usb on linux I was pretty sure I did it alright. The fact that my usb mouse has worked from the getgo seemed to support that notion.

Now in an attempt to get the usb keyboard recognized, my kernel has been recompiled exactly how the usb howto here suggests, with all usb support compiled into the kernel. Mouse still works fine, keyboard still a no go.

dmesg doesn't suggest anything out of the ordinary, here's the usb related items
Code:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 18:42:18 Nov 28 2002
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
PCI: Assigned IRQ 11 for device 00:14.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:14.3
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1800, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:14.3
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:14.2
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1820, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
usb.c: registered new driver hiddev
usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/1, assigned device number 2
input0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB Mouse] on usb2:2.0

but my kernel logs do...
Code:

ov 28 20:22:32 [kernel] hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/1, assigned device number 4
Nov 28 20:22:35 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Nov 28 20:22:35 [kernel] usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=4 (error=-110)
Nov 28 20:22:48 [kernel] Assertion failed! buffer != NULL,via82cxxx_audio.c,via_dsp_write,line=2308
Nov 28 20:22:50 [kernel] hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/1, assigned device number 5
Nov 28 20:22:53 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Nov 28 20:22:53 [kernel] usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=5 (error=-110)
Nov 28 20:22:53 [kernel] hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/1, assigned device number 6
Nov 28 20:22:56 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Nov 28 20:22:56 [kernel] usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=6 (error=-110)

plugging the usb keyboard into my "hub" (just the second set of usb ports on the front of my machine) gets me
Code:

usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
input2,hiddev0: USB HID v1.00 Pointer [Compaq Compaq Internet Keyboard] on usb1:2.1

with the timeout message repeated many times.

If I plug the keyboard into the back where the mouse is plugged in, then the mouse dies and it appears I lose usb all together.

And finally, starting up without the ps/2 keyboard attached just gets me (paraphrased) "timeout: ps/2 keyboard doesn't appear to be attached".

Booting with just the usb keyboard, and no ps/2 keyboard or mouse gets me the same thing, and no experimenting leads to a working usb keyboard.

And for what its worth I had what appears to be the same situation under redhat 8. The mouse always worked, the usb kb plugged into the front didn't do anything, plugged into the back killed the mouse. I had redhat installed for so briefly I didnt bother to look into it.

mandrake 8.0 through 9.0 have all handled usb just fine, so that suggests it's not some kind of hardware issue.

Any ideas would be great, this ps/2 keyboard is awful! :?
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if you've already done this but have you checked out:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=79&highlight=usb+modules+autoload+mousedev
tortoise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did that, I've probably recompiled my kernel close to a dozen times now trying to nip this.

the keyboard still doesn't work. But for what it's worth, my usb gamepad does work, including having the gamepad and mouse in use at the same time. So I dunno, maybe there's just something weird about this keyboard.

As a last resort I'm going to look into that option in the kernel that says to wait longer for usb devices as some are slow (it's something like that anyway), maybe the keyboard needs that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: