PentiumM upgrade to GCC3.4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwever
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: PentiumM upgrade to GCC3.4 Reply with quote

I have a pentiumM laptop and was looking to upgrade to GCC3.4 to take advantage of the pentiumM cflag.

First question, is this a good idea?

Second, what is the proper method of upgrading and recompiling my system to be optimized with the new gcc/cflag?
Code:

echo "sys-devel/gcc ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
emerge -uDav world
env-update
update my make.conf to include the new pentiumM cflag
emerge --newuse -uDav world
???
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second emerge -uDav world is not really useful, since no packages will be remerged that way. You can just rebuild packages when you update them, or you could do an emerge -e world, though that takes a long long time, and the difference isn't that big I'd think.
sn4ip3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know whats the difference between -march=pentium4 and -march=pentium-m ?
rwgeorge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, I dont, bu tI am here looking for the same answer. I want to switch to pentium-m, but would like to hear what others have to say first. I'm gonna google for a while, I'll pipe in again if I find anything.

Best,
Bob
Ecco
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn4ip3r wrote:
Does anyone know whats the difference between -march=pentium4 and -march=pentium-m ?

Quite a bit of difference. For one, pentium4 binaries will probably not run on a pentium m. Pentium 3 comes a lot closer.

I did a stage 1 install with gcc-3.4 on my laptop and it's working like a charm :)

If you want to upgrade your whole system with the new flag, you'll have to emerge world -e. It's probably not worth the effort though; -march=pentium3 runs fine, so I'd just compile new packages and your system will gradually upgrade anyway.

Also, you forget to
Code:
rm /etc/make.profile
ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/gcc-34-x86-2004.2 /etc/make.profile

or gcc-3.4 will be hardmasked.
jwever
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this great tutorial
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Migrating_to_GCC_3.4
sn4ip3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecco wrote:
sn4ip3r wrote:

Quite a bit of difference. For one, pentium4 binaries will probably not run on a pentium m. Pentium 3 comes a lot closer.

You say that there is "Quite a bit of difference", but don't specify what the difference really is. I compared the "flags" line of /proc/cpuinfo on my Pentium-m (dothan with 2M L2) and P4 (800Mhz FSB, .5MB L2) there are some differences which I can understand, some that I don't understand:
P4 has "pae pse36 ht cid xtpr" which the P-m does not have and P-m has "est tm2" which P4 does not have.
"pae pse36" probably mean that P4 can use high memory up to 64GB (36bit) and "ht" obviously means hyperthreading. "cid" means "Context ID", "xtpr" is "Send Task Priority Messages", "est" is "Enhanced SpeedStep" and "tm2" is "Thermal Monitor 2". The last two most certanly should not affect the output of gcc, the first two might, but I'm not really sure that there are any useful instructions on the P4 that the P-m does not support, so something compiled for P4 should work on P-m and the reverse should also be true. Ofcourse the kernel most likely is not compatible but that is another issue.
Ecco
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn4ip3r wrote:
[...]

You say that there is "Quite a bit of difference", but don't specify what the difference really is. I compared the "flags" line of /proc/cpuinfo on my Pentium-m (dothan with 2M L2) and P4 (800Mhz FSB, .5MB L2) there are some differences which I can understand, some that I don't understand:
P4 has "pae pse36 ht cid xtpr" which the P-m does not have and P-m has "est tm2" which P4 does not have.
"pae pse36" probably mean that P4 can use high memory up to 64GB (36bit) and "ht" obviously means hyperthreading. "cid" means "Context ID", "xtpr" is "Send Task Priority Messages", "est" is "Enhanced SpeedStep" and "tm2" is "Thermal Monitor 2". The last two most certanly should not affect the output of gcc, the first two might, but I'm not really sure that there are any useful instructions on the P4 that the P-m does not support, so something compiled for P4 should work on P-m and the reverse should also be true. Ofcourse the kernel most likely is not compatible but that is another issue.

I don't know (and don't really care) what the exact differences are, only that the P-M is basically a modified P3 with sse2 and maybe more stuff. So binaries built for P3 are deffinitely safe to use. On the other paw, I've seen plenty of problems passing by related to people trying to run P4 binaries on a P-M (such as hard to trace SDL freezes). So, if you insist on living on the wild side and use the P4 flag to get more out of your P-M, what the h. are you still doing with gcc-3.3? :P
rwgeorge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using pentium4 wit my machine and have never seen problems. I plan to switch to pentium-m now, but, its been months now without a problem becasue of the pentium4 CFLAG.

2 cents,
Bob
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: