quicktime?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: quicktime? Reply with quote

Is there a way to use quicktime on linux? Specifically I'm interested in viewing trailers on apple's site. I found openquicktime and quicktime for linux...
will theese work, and whats the difference?
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

If your not averse to paying a little bit of cash I HIGHLY recommend Codeweavers Crossover plugin.

It allows you to use all of the windows plugins for netscape in linux - including Quicktime and Windows Media Player and Shockwave just to name a few. It uses a special version of Wine to do this - but man is it fast - full screen Quicktimes play just like in windows and the trailers on quicktime.com are perfect. Anyone who spends any time browsing in linux should by this product!

Head over to www.codeweavers.com to learn more.

Derek
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking over the website now. I'm unemployed, so I'll have to stick with something free for now (or do without). Will give it a more serious look when I have some funds though. Does it work through emulation? Just curious, may find the answer on their site.

Thanks for the tip.
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Well.... Reply with quote

Well....

It uses WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) - it is an implementation of the Windows API on linux. Things run natively but use dlls that were created in open source by the WINE project.

Head over to www.winehq.org for more info on WINE.

And if you are really interested you can now play MANY windows games in linux (at close to full speed) using a variant of Wine by a company named Transgaming. I HIGHLY suggest this route to any gamers out there also.

Head over to www.transgaming.com for more info on them.

Derek
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... The day is good, I learned something :). I thought WINE was an emulator.
dArkMaGE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the linux version of quicktime does not include some proprietary codecs (sorenson comes to mind) that are not allowed to be included due to licensing restrictions.
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the reason why I can't get any of these trailes running on the apple site? I just get a yellow window in mozilla and the message "running helper" but nothing happens. I use plugger, mplayer and realplayer work fine.

I have the openquicktime and quicktime4linux libraries emerged. How do you get this stuff working?
huw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC streaming quicktime uses the patented sorenson codec, so that's probably why the trailers don't work.
rogue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codeweavers has a demo of the crossover plugin which, if i recall correctly, still lets you view movies and stuff..it just superimposes something like "buy this product" or something like that over the movie..anyway..it's a really great product which isn't all that expensive..of course it does feel a bit weird to actually pay for software for linux :-P
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone actually watched a movie or similar using the code weavers demo plugin ..as I m interested to know wether the popups appear on a regular basis or wether they just run for a couple of minutes after starting the app?????
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swishy,

They appear like every 30 seconds or so.

I STILL, HIGHLY recommend buying this product. The new release just came out recently and they are supporting a HUGE number of plugins now - and it is a free upgrade for anyone who has EVER bought the product.

Give them a little cash. They are a good company who has done great things for open source (sponsored many, many people who work on the wine project). Everyone who has the ability should give them a little money.

Derek
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Codeweavers is awesome. I've purchased both Office and Plugin, and I highly recommend them both.
crashman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Codeweavers Crossover and Transgaming Winex Reply with quote

Both companies deliver on their promises with their products. I use Crossover daily, I don't even think about whether a site I am going to is compatible with mozilla anymore. I only tried the 1.0 demo and it worked, but the popups actually caused problems with the playback. Version 1.1.2 is out now and it works seamlessly. Awesome product, worth every penny!

Transgaming's Winex also works well, although I don't use it that often. I still bought their subscription to help fund further development.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedmud wrote:
Swishy,

They appear like every 30 seconds or so.

I STILL, HIGHLY recommend buying this product. The new release just came out recently and they are supporting a HUGE number of plugins now - and it is a free upgrade for anyone who has EVER bought the product.

Give them a little cash. They are a good company who has done great things for open source (sponsored many, many people who work on the wine project). Everyone who has the ability should give them a little money.

Derek
I personally can live without it. I mainly wanted to be able to watch trailers on Apple's site, so I'll just spend less money on movies now.
As for buying the software, it is free for Mac & Windows, so no, I'll pass. I'm not spending money just to watch trailers.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
I personally can live without it. I mainly wanted to be able to watch trailers on Apple's site, so I'll just spend less money on movies now.
As for buying the software, it is free for Mac & Windows, so no, I'll pass. I'm not spending money just to watch trailers.

Perhaps we should all write to Apple and ask for a native Quicktime Player for linux. But then again, why should they bother writing software for a non-commercial platform?
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the point paying for a software that is free in Windows and MacOS.

Zu` wrote:

Perhaps we should all write to Apple and ask for a native Quicktime Player for linux. But then again, why should they bother writing software for a non-commercial platform?

You're speaking in my mind! The Quicktime 5+6 work with OS X so the converting jobs to another *NIX should be minimal.

In the meantime I'll use the realplayer instad. Many websites offer the choice between them both.
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filed a request for a native linux player here:
http://appleseed.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeedPortal.woa/wa/FlexAction/qtFeedback

The more requests Apple gets the better the chances are. Go on, submit!
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to LinuxToday Xine 0.9.11 is making some progress in that area:
Quote:
The xine team has released the version 0.9.11 of their GPL'd media player application. xine is capable of playing back a wide variety of media formats including DVD, MPEG, AVI, ASF, Apple Quicktime (MOV) and others. Notable in this release is the first free software implementation of the Sorenson Video algorithm, used to encode video streams in many Quicktime files.

Changes since last release:

Sorenson video 1 decoder (SVQ1)
sync with ffmpeg cvs
RoQ DPCM audio decoder
some endianess and 64bit machine fixes
better quality using linearblend filter
new FILM (CPK) demuxer
new RoQ demuxer
new QuickTime demuxer
DXR3 overlay mode fixed
DXR3 support for libfame 0.8.10 and above
fixes for transport streams demuxer
VIDIX video out driver (experimental)
TV fullscreen support using nvtvd

Note that Sorenson decoder only covers the SVQ1 variant and not the more recent SV3 variant used to encode the Star Wars Episode II trailers. Also, the decoder does not handle the QDesign sound formats that are commonly used in Sorenson videos. (However it seems that someone is actively working on those!)

For those wondering about the "Lara Croft Community edition" name, it comes the fact that Tomb Raider trailer was the first Sorenson video ever decoded under Linux. Episode I trailers are also playable with xine.

There's an ebuild for it in portage.
Lets hope Apple won't go after them.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay wrote:
I filed a request for a native linux player here:
http://appleseed.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeedPortal.woa/wa/FlexAction/qtFeedback

The more requests Apple gets the better the chances are. Go on, submit!

I filed a request. I also added I would be willing to pay for a Quicktime Pro version if it would work in linux.

I don't know if this will help at all, but we can try, right?
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mksoft wrote:
According to LinuxToday Xine 0.9.11 is making some progress in that area:
Quote:
The xine team has released the version 0.9.11 of their GPL'd media player application. xine is capable of playing back a wide variety of media formats including DVD, MPEG, AVI, ASF, Apple Quicktime (MOV) and others. Notable in this release is the first free software implementation of the Sorenson Video algorithm, used to encode video streams in many Quicktime files.

Changes since last release:

Sorenson video 1 decoder (SVQ1)

Yes, you are right. See more infos about this in this thread. However most streamed media use the modern SVQ3 Sorenson Codec, so this means you can't watch any new trailers from the apple website. According to some discussions in /. the codec has already reverse engineered but this means a clear violation of patents held by apple. in my opinion that's not the way we should go. Public demand is working much better - that's the reason why we have realplayer for Linux. And I'm quite sure that this will work out for apple as well.
entity
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also filed a request one minute ago, let's keep our thumbs up and fingers crossed and ...oh whatta heck. :lol:
kormoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by kormoc on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kormoc wrote:
According to some discussions in /. the codec has already reverse engineered but this means a clear violation of patents held by apple.

Nope, the patents are not held by apple, they are held by Sorenson. Also reverse engineering a product is not a patent problem. It is perfectly ok to do so, and Xine should have no problem with including this. All they are doing is converting the codec to a free one on the fly using a large bit table of some sort. I don't understand video coding, so I can't tell you more. If xine could get sv3 then We don't need apple to do anything.

If I'm not mistaken, the RIAA (and/or others) was/is trying to make reverse engineering
illegal so as to protect their 'copy protection'.

[Now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic]
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desktop Environments -> Multimedia. I think it's useful for future searchers to have it there. If it gets reignited and turns political, it will get locked and maybe a branch will be forked into OTW.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: