reiser4 on mm-sources working but with unrelated oopses
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: reiser4 on mm-sources working but with unrelated oopses Reply with quote

As some of you may remember, I thought I had reiser4 working on AMD64 but it always ended up crashing and/or corrupting. I was about ready to send in a bug report when I discovered I'm unable to reproduce any of my problems, most notably the infamous "bad: scheduling while atomic!" and call trace, on 2.6.9-rc4-mm1. I did all kinds of crazy stuff like copying kernel trees, diffing tees, dding a gigantic file, and making a directory with a million files in it. When I tried the same thing with a vanilla kernel patched for reiser4, I got the scheduling error. I have a sample log with errors from both kernels.

I'd be happily using mm-sources now, but I can't run some important programs. Attempting to start Firefox, for example, causes oopses. This may be the result of my hacking because I had to back out patches just to get it to compile, then more for nvidia to work, and some more to make ALSA work.

My question is how do I get everything working? Should I complain to Andrew Morton because his patchset isn't compiling, much less working properly? Should I tell namesys that a mix of vanilla and reiser4 that works perfectly fine on x86 crashes and burns on AMD64? I can't reasonably expect them to support a platform they don't have hardware samples of running a different kernel version. Does anyone have either mm-sources or reiser4 working on AMD64?
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right, when I used the vanilla reiser4, I had to disable preempt to get rid of the bad scheduling while atomic. Never been fond of the mm-sources myself.

I wouldn't even play around with reiser4 until they fix the crash bug on amd64.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preempt was disabled. I agree with you about mm-sources. It works most of the time for x86, but other architectures probably aren't even tested before release.

AMD64 won't get fixed anytime soon without bug reports. I'm not worried about my data because everything's backed up, but the crashes are annoying. Now I'm trying to verify that 2.6.9-rc4 works with all the reiser4 stuff compiled in but not used.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: