Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
uninstall.pl kills system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BennyP
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: uninstall.pl kills system Reply with quote

i ran the uninstall.pl script to remove gentoo, and allowed it to proceed when it warned me about system damage, needless to say it fucked the system up - libintl.2.dylib or something like that.
bash wouldn't start, neither would X11, and when i tried to play my movie in imovie, i got the kernel panic!!

upon restarting, before the apple logo appeared, the screen went blank and the top two console lines were blinking "cannot find libintl.2.dylib" or something to that effect. At the time i was in the park so i said "oh snap!" and rode my bike home.

i got home, popped in the osx install dvd and did archive and reinstall - everything's back the way it was, in fact i have more diskspace (after deleting previous system) and the remnants of fink, darwinports and gentoo that were clogign up my system are all gone!!

i think i'll wait for the next gentoo release before installing it again =)

nice work gentoo devs, but i'm not hardcore enough to get my hands any messier than i already have with gentoo macos
look forward to next release tho
trentin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, i would be interested why this has happened, because i too ran the uninstall.pl script today, and everything is working fine. i only noticed that /etc/etc-update.conf was not removed, but otherwise, i was quite satisfied with the outcome.

I also checked the script before i ran it, (only very slightly though), and it seemed quite safe.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: