USE="nptlonly" + emerge glibc -> system unusabl
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mokki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: USE="nptlonly" + emerge glibc -> system unusabl Reply with quote

I have had the nptl use flag in use for almost a year now. I guess I was foolish to think that gentoo had compiled everything against that one (I did a full rebuild a few months ago last time).
Few hours ago I then tried emerged the latest glibc and used the just added nptlonly flag which doesn't build the pthreads stuff.

Now I cannot do anything with my system, emerge fails because there is no libpthread.so.0. Even /bin/ls fails with the same reason (why does it even need threads?).

Is the system even supposed to work without pthreads? I thought that the nptl provided some backwards compatibility layers, or is that just what the nptlonly disabled?

Any suggestions on how to get further? If someone could put their already compiled /usr/lib directory somewhere so I could download the required files that would get me running.
gerr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, AFAICSee glibc recognizes nptl and does not know about nptlonly. Is this the one that you enabled?

In any case please see glibc ChangeLog, today's comment mentions this issue. Also see #67128, this mention this exact issue as well (and nptl was not equired to get this problem ;)). Are you on amd64 btw? If not, please add a comment to this bug.

George
borh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. To solve it, copy as many libraries from the /lib64 directory (from a livecd) as you need to get pthreads back (sorry, but my memory is pretty hazy about what I copied).
The new version of glibc is now keyword masked, so remember to emerge sync when you decide to reemerge glibc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: