Recent Gentoo on alpha ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfdargent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Recent Gentoo on alpha ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I wanted to know if there was a way to install/bootstrap Gentoo for alpha with gcc3.4, some recent binutils and other stuff ?
I tried with the 2004/07/30 experimental LiveCD but it seems to be willing to install only gcc3.2 on my alpha box.

Any help is greatly appreciated, regards.

Stephane
surfdargent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I saw something about a "stage1-alpha-1.4-ccc.tar.bz2" file allowing gentoo to use Compaq CCC compiler instead of gcc. Is it still possible to get such a file ? Maybe an up-to-date version (like 2004.x) ?
MxA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcc 3.3.2 is marked stable on Alpha and works fine (I use it myself). 3.3.3 and 3.3.3 are marked testing, you can probably give them a shot. But I doubt that you'll see much performance improvement bootstrapping with 3.4.x over 3.3.x or 3.2.x.

ccc is another story. I experimented with taviso's stage1-alpha-1.4-ccc.tar.bz2 but it didn't work with my machine (wrong CPU flavour, see the XLT-thread). I gave up on ccc for the moment. For computation-intensive programs (such as gzip, bzip2, zlib), ccc beats any version of gcc, hands down. But you may run into linking problems when you emerge packages that can only be built by gcc in combination with libraries built with ccc. In that case, you would need to supply '-lots' in CFLAGS or LDFLAGS, but I noticed that some ebuilds ignore the user-defined CFLAGS in make.conf. In which case, the only thing to do would be to modify the ebuilds...

My advice would be to stick with the stable gcc, unless you know how to make liveCDs and stage tarballs yourself and modify the appropriate ebuilds (in which case I'd be willing to test 'em :wink: )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: