Strange behaviour [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedHiney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Strange behaviour [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi!
I've "googled" and "searched" the web for several days and nowhere got a solution to my problem. I hope i'll find it here.
Here's the description of the problem. Thing is quite simple - when i launch any game which uses sdl (Quake3, UT2k3, TacticalOps) i get a mixed up screen - no errors in log files, no segmentation faults, no nothing, except that screen is so screwed up that a game is not playable (altough game responses correctly to the keyboard or mouse events - for example i can, not without trouble, quit cleanly). From the other side, playing games which don't use sdl, like foobillard, doesn't cause any inconveniences - everything runs perfectly smooth. And this is why i think sdl causes such troubles.
So, i started with re-emerging sdl libs - no effects, then i've changed ati drivers (all versions - 3.7.6 up to 3.14), i even did re-emerge x.org - no signs of improvement.
Here are some specifications of my computer: AMD XP1700+, 256MB of ram, R9100, gentoo with 2.6.7 kernel...
Thanks in advance for any hints/tips....

Last edited by RedHiney on Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedHiney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the problem occurs only when game is running in fullscreen mode (i've also tested barrage and sega megadrive emulator). So i assume this is not the sdl/opengl fault... or is it? First thing that comes into my mind is to recompile x.org...
RedHiney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved!
My x.org didn't support any lower resolution than 1280x1024 (i admit it - i configured it that way). Adding 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480 into screen section in xorg.conf file solved the problem. The world of linux gaming is wide open now :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: