Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installation Help Needed - FDISK, BOOT, DUAL-BOOT...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bn_me
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Installation Help Needed - FDISK, BOOT, DUAL-BOOT... Reply with quote

I've been trying to install Gentoo Linux, but always seem to get stuck right smack at the front...

I've been using Windows for quite a while, and just tried out Mandrake 8.1 and 8.2, and RedHat 7.2...

They were insufficient for my needs, usually filled with bugs or just slow, and not much control over the OS itself...

So, going from an easy as hell installation to Gentoo... I was smack in the face, and now I have a few questions I need to ask, as the first installation attempt failed.

Here is my system:

AMD Athlon 1.2 @ 1.4
MSI K7T266PRO + RAID
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40GB
GF2 MX400
Linksys NIC
SMC NIC (Internet Connection)

I installed Windows XP on my hard drive first, leaving room left for Linux...

What would the labels for each partition be?

The Windows Partition, boot partition, swap, and /.

How would I create a boot partition, for the kernel, when XP is already installed?

Would I encounter any problems with my NICS?

And, are there any bugs I should worry about during installation?
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation Help Needed - FDISK, BOOT, DUAL-BOOT... Reply with quote

bn_me wrote:

AMD Athlon 1.2 @ 1.4
MSI K7T266PRO + RAID
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40GB
GF2 MX400
Linksys NIC
SMC NIC (Internet Connection)

I installed Windows XP on my hard drive first, leaving room left for Linux...

What would the labels for each partition be?

The Windows Partition, boot partition, swap, and /.

How would I create a boot partition, for the kernel, when XP is already installed?

Would I encounter any problems with my NICS?

And, are there any bugs I should worry about during installation?

1. You won't actually label the partitions like you do for windows when you format (if that's what you meant...). You will mount the boot partition at /boot and the root (/) partition at / - this stuff is pretty well documented in the install.

2. There are people on this board who have a much better idea of what programs are available for partition resizing/removing (and I believe there's a couple threads on the subject already). I would personally just backup important Windows stuff and re-partition (except for the hassle of WinXP reactivation - man, that was a bad idea).

3. You shouldn't have a problem w/ the SMC NIC - I believe it uses the tulip.o driver (modprobe tulip), but I could be wrong.

4. If you're actually using your raid setup, I imagine there is an extra thing or two you'll have to setup sooner or later, but other than that I have a very similar setup and had no problems. Just follow the install.txt and search this reeeealllly informative forum and google if you have any trouble. It's all out there.
bn_me
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant by label, was in Linux...

In Mandrake, my Windows partition (or when I wanted to mount it), was hde1 or hda1.

Will this be the same for Gentoo?
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be the same as whatever it was in mandrake. Depending on what sequence the raid/ide channels are read, if your hard drive is on the first ide channel it'll be called /dev/hda (or /dev/hde) (and if Windows is on the first partition it will be /dev/hda1 (or /dev/hde1)).
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run fdisk in the gentoo install if you hit p and then enter you will get a list of the paritions that are on the hard drive you ran fdisk for. For instance I have 2000 (one of its paritions anyways) on a small 4gig partition on a 20 gig drive. That parition shows up as an NTFS parition with a hex code of 7 I think. So from there I simply hit n to create a new primary parition which will be the boot partition for Gentoo. Now since this version of fdisk only shows blocks and cylinders it was a little bit hard for me to decide what the sizes should bee. So I decide since I didn't know for sure what the sizes were to make my boot patition 100blocks and then created my swap parition again by hitting n made it a primary and made it 100blocks big too (or was it sectors, whatever the default is in fdisk was the measurement being used). Then I created another primary for / which used the rest of the dirve. If you hit m and then enter when in fdisk you will get a help menu in the menu it tells you it you hit t you can change the type of parition. So I hit t and then chose parition 3 which was the swap and labled it with a hex code of 32 designating it as the swap file. I then found the option to "toggle a bootable flag" and made parition 2 a bootable parition along with the NTFS partition. This may have been a mistake though but I thought since it was the boot partition for Gentoo that it needed the bootable flag. It took a little getting used to, mainly the method of showing the size of the partition (im used to mb, or kb's), but its really not to hard to get everything set up, parition wise anyways :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: