View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revoohc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 2004, Crossover office, KDE 3.2 - No Menues Reply with quote

I am having a problem with Gentoo 2004, Crossover Office and KDE 3.2. When I have it install a program, it is not generating the menus for the windows programs. Has anyone else run into this?

Does anyone know of a working solution?

I thought I would check here first before I open a ticket with them.

Thanks,

Chris
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossover Office only supports KDE 3.1 atm.. I think an update will come where it supports KDE 3.2/GNOME 2.8 (whose menus changed to the freedesktop XDG menu standard)
revertex
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crossover works perfect here with kde3.2
ElGuido
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the "me too" reply, but this has happened to me too.

FYI I did have menus working fine under 3.2, however, after a reiser panic, it scruffed my kde settings. I renamed my .kde and have managed to recreate my kde settings.

However I am having problems with menus as a whole. I can't add firefox through the editor or updater and some items I don't want won't go away, and as you have, I can't get cxoffice to appear.

One odd thing I did notice, when I renamed my WineX folder to WineX2 it did appear, but putting it back to WineX and it disappeared.

Bright ideas anyone? :)
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this forum:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=69751&highlight=cxoffice

I am running KDE 3.2.2 and just installed cxoffice for the first time. As the above forum suggests, I did:

export KDEHOME=~/kde3.2

Then I installed cxoffice again, this time the menu entries are there. I am not running the latest cxoffice. I am running version 2.0.1
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: cxoffice, kmenuedit, kmenu Reply with quote

ElGuido wrote:
One odd thing I did notice, when I renamed my WineX folder to WineX2 it did appear, but putting it back to WineX and it disappeared.

Bright ideas anyone? :)

I had cxoffice working fine under KDE 3.2. I had an older version and decided to test the demo of the latest cxoffice. Unlike the bought version, the demo requires it to be installed as ROOT, which I did. However, the menu entries still pointed to the older version I had, which was installed in ~/cxoffice versus being installed in /opt/cxoffice for the demo. I used kmenuedit to edit my KMenu ... I deleted the CrossOver and Windows Applications submenus. After this point I could no longer get the menus back. I found the CrossOver folder still existed in ~/.kde3.2/share/applnk/. I got the same result you got when I renamed it from CrossOver to CrossOver2. After much searching and scratching around in the filesystem, I learned this: kmenuedit (which includes right-clicking on the kmenu icon and choosing edit) creates a file ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu ... upon inspecting this file I discovered that kmenuedit does NOT actually delete the menu entries, but instead MARKS them as "deleted". The problem with this is if you try to recreate the SAME folder again (maybe by reinstalling the app ... such as cxoffice) it will NOT show up in the kmenu because it is still marked as deleted in ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu. Just remove the entries that are marked deleted and they can/will reappear, such as for your WineX entry.
ElGuido
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for delay in reply, I have been working on my new 64bit box.

Thanks for reply and info, unfortunately I haven't had much luck with you suggestions, I think there is something more intrinsically wrong with my kde settings somewhere and I'm going to start a new thread for this.

Guy
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: cxoffice, kmenuedit, kmenu Reply with quote

jdgill0 wrote:

After much searching and scratching around in the filesystem, I learned this: kmenuedit (which includes right-clicking on the kmenu icon and choosing edit) creates a file ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu ... upon inspecting this file I discovered that kmenuedit does NOT actually delete the menu entries, but instead MARKS them as "deleted". The problem with this is if you try to recreate the SAME folder again (maybe by reinstalling the app ... such as cxoffice) it will NOT show up in the kmenu because it is still marked as deleted in ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu. Just remove the entries that are marked deleted and they can/will reappear, such as for your WineX entry.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: